The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#476 2021-11-16 02:49:14

Ron

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

Thanks for your quick response MiyoLinux. I also noticed a bunch of apps that begin with libxfce..... and I'm hesitant to delete those. Should I not touch those?

#477 2021-11-16 13:30:29

MiyoLinux

Those are for the xfce4-notifyd desktop notifications.

I'm not familiar whether MATE has its own desktop notifications.

So...

If MATE has its own, or if you just don't want it, it's perfectly safe to remove. wink

apt-get remove --purge xfce4-notifyd*

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#478 2021-11-16 13:36:46

Ron

Thanks once again.

#479 2021-11-16 14:12:32

MiyoLinux

Ron wrote:

Thanks once again.

My pleasure Ron!

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#480 2021-11-25 21:15:26

Ron

Hi MiyoLinux, your ascii release of Miyo had a startup 'song' included, which is not in Miyo based on ceres. Do you still have the file of that? Right now I'm being sacrilegious and using the Windows XP startup sound.  tongue

#481 2021-11-26 04:40:04

MiyoLinux

Hi Ron...I've used two different startup sounds in the past. The one that I used on Miyo-Modern was the Deepin startup sound. The other one that I used was just a few seconds from a no copyright song. I don't think I've ever used any others except those two.

I'll just link both of them for you since I'm not sure which one you may be referring to. wink

The Deepin startup sound - https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code … 8JtbN4lOFy

The MiyoLinux startup sound - https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code … WJ5BhxGQqk

You should be able to sample them from the download pages. If you don't see the "Direct Download" button, just scroll down the page a few lines. wink

#482 2021-11-26 16:42:32

Ron

Thanks MiyoLinux, it was the second one that I am familiar with. smile
Something about the Deepin startup sound is like fingernails on a chalk board.

Last edited by Ron (2021-11-26 16:42:50)

#483 2021-11-26 19:19:42

MiyoLinux

Ron wrote:

Thanks MiyoLinux, it was the second one that I am familiar with. smile
Something about the Deepin startup sound is like fingernails on a chalk board.

Hahaha!

You're welcome!

#484 2021-12-05 01:49:22

Ron

This is a pretty generic question, so I'm not sure I should put it here, but here it is anyway. When I click on the Shutdown button, I get the window below with the choices "Restart" or "Cancel" or "Shut Down." Is there a way I can put a shortcut on the panel to just simply shut down the computer without being asked this?

CaoOhHf.jpg

#485 2021-12-05 03:45:34

MiyoLinux

Hi Ron.

As you probably know, I'm not familiar with MATE, nor am I familiar with how to add things to its panel.

Here's a test for you though...

WARNING: THIS SHOULD SHUT YOUR COMPUTER OFF!!!

Open your terminal (or Run Command...if MATE has a Run Command), and enter this...

loginctl poweroff

...if that shuts your computer down, then OKAY...HOORAY! tongue smile

Perhaps someone with MATE knowledge can help further with adding this to your panel; however, I can give you a menu item that "should" work. wink

1. Open your file manager, and navigate to ~/.local/share/applications/ in your HOME folder.

2. Create a new .desktop file...you can name it whatever you want, but for this example, we will name it shutdown.desktop

3. Enter the following information in it...

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Shutdown
Exec=loginctl poweroff
Icon=system-shutdown
Terminal=false
Categories=Sytem;

It should then show in your menu in the System (?) Category and clicking on it should shut down your computer right then and there without notice...unless I'm completely UN-MATED with how MATE mates things n'stuff. tongue

Again...if any MATE experts can help further, I will gladly defer to them. big_smile

#486 2021-12-05 04:05:49

Ron

Thanks. Taking your command, I created a new "Custom Application Launcher" in the panel (right click in the panel and select Add to Panel), and in the Name box put in "Shut Down the computer" and in the Command box I put in your command "loginctl poweroff". It works. Thanks again.

Last edited by Ron (2021-12-05 04:12:43)

#487 2021-12-05 04:08:39

MiyoLinux

Ron wrote:

Thanks. Taking your command, I created a new "Custom Application Launcher" in the panel (right click in the panel and select Add to Panel), and in the Name box put in "Shut Down the computer" and in the Command box I put in your command "loginctl poweroff". It works. Thanks again.

HOORAY!!! big_smile

#488 2021-12-05 04:12:53

Ron

Question: Is this the same command that runs when I click Shut Down in the window screenshot I posted?

#489 2021-12-05 04:17:17

MiyoLinux

...by the way...

If I were confronted with that stinkin' dialogue box every time I just wanted to shut down, I'd have a nervous-jerkdown, want to bludgeon it, and force it into my pain-cave to subject it to all kinds of unscrupulous thumb-screws, the rack, and other torturous stuff n'stuff.

LOLOLOLOL!!!

#490 2021-12-05 04:19:43

MiyoLinux

Ron wrote:

Question: Is this the same command that runs when I click Shut Down in the window screenshot I posted?

I don't know Ron. Sorry.

Perhaps it is, but if it is, perhaps it has a "sleep" command of 60 seconds before it engages?

I'll defer to MATE experts here... smile

#491 2021-12-05 04:30:15

Ron

It shuts down immediately when I click that button (if you don't do anything, then it shuts down after 60 seconds). But that, of course, requires two clicks of the mouse, clicking the original button in the panel, then the button in that popup window. I prefer just one click, which is why I asked. I agree with your feelings about that dialog box.  smile Thanks again for filling me in on how to get rid of it.

Last edited by Ron (2021-12-05 04:33:28)

#492 2021-12-05 04:59:47

MiyoLinux

My pleasure...

...no matter how screwed up my pleasure is.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Thanks Ron! Take care buddy!

...and if ralph.ronnquist reads this from down-under....

¡ɹǝʞɐǝus ʎʞɐǝus noʎ˙˙˙˙noʎ ƃuᴉɥɔʇɐʍ ɯ,I

#493 2021-12-05 12:27:51

anticapitalista

Is policykit installed?

#494 2021-12-05 13:57:55

Ron

anticapitalista wrote:

Is policykit installed?

Yes, policykit-1 and policykit-1-gnome are installed.

Last edited by Ron (2021-12-05 13:58:09)

#495 2021-12-07 01:33:19

Ron

anticapitalista wrote:

Is policykit installed?

Answered above. Is there a reason why you asked?

#496 2021-12-07 08:10:40

anticapitalista

Ron wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:

Is policykit installed?

Answered above. Is there a reason why you asked?

To get all the logout options, you need policykit installed.
Seems like you need something else as well.

Hmm, I think I misunderstood what you wanted to do.

Last edited by anticapitalista (2021-12-07 08:13:48)

#497 2022-01-05 02:05:43

Ron

I need some help. After today's updates, my computer won't boot up anymore, so I'm thinking one of the updates is causing this. When I boot up, I can see the wall of text that I usually do, but the log in screen doesn't appear. All I get is a blinking cursor in the extreme upper left hand corner, nothing else. Typing does nothing, and neither does moving the mouse. How to fix this?

#498 2022-01-05 17:13:56

chris2be8

Does ctrl-alt-f1 get you to a text console? If it does can you log on and see if you can find out why things are broken?

Does pressing Caps Lock, Num Lock or Scroll Lock toggle the LED on the keyboard?

Do you have a rescue (or live) CD/DVD/USB stick to try booting from?

Do you have another computer? If so does the hung one respond to pings or ssh?

#499 2022-01-06 02:03:07

Ron

I was using the Miyo version based on the unstable . . . I had a good two month run with no troubles until this. I decided this morning to switch to Miyo Modern.

MiyoLinux, is there a version based on Devuan 4? I thought that was what I was getting but this is based on 3.

#500 2022-01-06 07:37:08

MiyoLinux

Hi Ron. Sorry for the late response. Our daughter was in town for a visit, so I haven't been online for a few days.

Sorry for the trouble. I know it's too late now, but I wonder if you installed apt-listbugs on the unstable version? I had a bug pop up during my latest upgrade (a bug with a mesa lib). I heeded the warning and cancelled the upgrade.

If you don't mind, I'm going to send you an email. You've supported me for a long time, and I want to return the favor.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2022-01-06 07:37:40)

Board footer