The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-22 19:05:45

uther

[SOLVED] Xorg update and broken GPU drivers in daedalus

Hi,
Today's Xorg and mesa AMD driver update broke OpenGL parts of xfce desktop and other applications in daedalus.
Updated among others:
xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu:amd64 (19.1.0-2, 21.0.0-2),
liobdrm-amdgpu1:amd64 (2.4.107-8, 2.4.108-1),

I'm running two screens and there is a lot of issues after this update:

- certain windows on main display are giga-sluggish and leave that funny trace of itself, but only for a brief moment
- navigation in some app is broken, menus are closing after moving cursor inside them (Firefox), clicks are not registered (Mullvad)
- the only title bars that are visible are fat, Gnome ones, rest are not rendered
- can't maximize/minimize windows
- system don't recognize shortcuts like Alt+F4 (but Ctrl+Q works)
- Alt+RMB windows resize don't work
- mouse cursor is displayed as 'x' symbol/icon
- can't switch between workspaces
- in xfce panel there are no application bars although apps are opened
... plus a lot more

Running Blender from CLI reveals:

libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast: /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
Error! Unsupported graphics card or driver.
A graphics card and driver with support for OpenGL 3.3 or higher is required.

Is rolling back an option here? INB4 - yes, to Chimaera :^)
Thanks for any advice.

ED: I reinstalled all mesa packages including libgl1-mesa-glx and mesa-utils, but no effect.
ED2: glxgears gives identical output as Blender plus: Error: glCreateContext failed
ED3: After checking there is no /usr/lib64 directory, but in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri there is swrast_dri.so

Last edited by uther (2021-11-22 20:24:57)

soystemd-free diet

#2 2021-11-23 13:52:41

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Xorg update and broken GPU drivers in daedalus

Can we see

glxinfo -B
uther wrote:

Is rolling back an option here? INB4 - yes, to Chimaera :^)

No, that is not supported.

You would be better switching to ceres IMO — the mandatory 10-14 day transition delay to testing means that breakage is fairly common (hence the name "testing") and also that if things are broken they can stay broken for a while. If you can't troubleshoot this sort of thing yourself then you probably shouldn't be running testing.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2021-11-23 15:46:24

uther

I found the temporary fix.
Uninstalling proprietary AMD GPU drivers fixed the problem. Also I tested previous drivers back to 20.40 and installing any versions from 20.40 onwards brings the problem back, so this is probably some conflict with mesa and/or xorg.

soystemd-free diet

#4 2021-11-23 16:23:49

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Why are you using AMDGPU PRO? It performs worse than the open source driver for everything and it is unsupported for De{bi,vu}an. Installing the Ubuntu package will uninstall the native graphics stack unless you follow this guide and even that might not work.

And most importantly: why didn't you mention the PRO drivers in your OP? Are we supposed to be psychic? Please include *all* relevant information in future threads.

#5 2021-11-23 18:47:50

uther

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Please include *all* relevant information in future threads.

Sorry about that. Won't happen again.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Why are you using AMDGPU PRO?

I know they are shit, but you can't compute 3d rendering on a AMD GPU in Blender without them. That's why I have installed only OpenCL parts of proprietary driver. OpenGL and display is handled by mesa.

I do it that way because there is no better alternative to have both smooth display and compute stack for 3d rendering.

ED:
Wait. I was wrong. I thought that installing PRO drivers with --headless installs only compute part of the driver. But I followed the link you provided and voila I have working OpenCL and no problem described in the first post! Did I ran this machine for so long only THINKING that I'm using mesa as a display driver? LOL if true.

So the problem seems to be a conflict between mesa and PRO display drivers when they are both installed.
Marking as solved.

Last edited by uther (2021-11-23 20:44:07)

soystemd-free diet

#6 2021-11-24 16:50:42

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

uther wrote:

I followed the link you provided and voila I have working OpenCL and no problem described in the first post!

Ah, excellent, that is good news. Perhaps consider informing the author of the linked guide so that they can declare Devuan as a working configuration.

#7 2021-12-22 16:54:18

uther

Will do as soon as I make GitLab account.

On a sidenote. There is an ongoing effort between Debian maintainers and AMD of packaging opensource AMD compute drivers under the name ROCm for Debian. ROCm and particularly HIP replaces OpenCL as a compute stack in modern AMD GPUS.

Look for it on this mailing list:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-ai/2021 … html#00054

The goal is the ability to install compute driver stack for AMD gpu with sudo apt install rocm or something similar.

Last edited by uther (2021-12-22 16:56:03)

soystemd-free diet

Board footer