The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-12 17:03:50

berni51
Website

minimal-live issue

Yesterday I installed the latest minimal-live image onto an older Gigabyte Brix machine with 8GB of RAM and Celeron N2807. The Brix is from 2015 and is able to boot BIOS and UEFI. However the UEFI boot will not always work and therefore I made a BIOS installation.

This was not my first minimal-live installation and it is the best option for my personal Devuan.
OK, I started installation and everything seems to be fine - no errors, no problems.

But when I booted into the new system, grub starts, loads the kernel, and the the system hung! The last message was:

Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root-fs on unknown block (0,0)

I tried multi- and single user mode, I repeated the grub-install, but nothing helped.

Later on, when I had no more ideas, I downloaded the refracta_11_nox image, which has the same kernel version. Installation was OK - and the system started perfectly. No kernel panic, nothing. Everything fine.

Any idea what went wrong with my minimal-live installation?

Regards
Berni

The good ol' days will not return, and the rocks might smelt and the sea may burn.

#2 2021-09-12 22:55:35

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: minimal-live issue

It's possible that something your hardware needs is not in the initramfs in the minimal-live. There's a script used in the build that edits the initrd to remove a bunch of stuff. I've never examined this script closely. KatolaZ wrote it, and I just keep re-using it.
https://git.devuan.org/devuan-sdk/live- … _initrd.sh

Here's the list of packages installed in the minimal-live. Anything you want that isn't already in the refracta-nox that you installed can easily be added. This is the beowulf package list. There are only a few of these that are not available in chimaera. (firmware-ralink comes to mind.)
https://git.devuan.org/devuan-sdk/live- … ulf/config

#3 2021-09-13 14:34:05

berni51
Website

Re: minimal-live issue

Thanks @fsmithred, so I will do.

The good ol' days will not return, and the rocks might smelt and the sea may burn.

Board footer