The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-03 16:27:27

Monti
Member
Registered: 2017-09-25
Posts: 52  

[SOLVED] SDDM not starting up after fresh Beowulf installation

Hi,

I have just installed Beowulf with KDE and SDDM as display manager.

My problem is that SDDM login screen is not starting up, so as you understand I have to use the "startx /usr/bin/startkde" command to get into KDE desktop.

Could someone please advice?

Thanks,
Monti

Offline

#2 2021-09-03 21:30:10

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 1,697  
Website

Re: [SOLVED] SDDM not starting up after fresh Beowulf installation

Check the logs.


antifa ftw!

Offline

#3 2021-09-04 10:23:22

PedroReina
Member
From: Madrid, Spain
Registered: 2019-01-13
Posts: 205  
Website

Re: [SOLVED] SDDM not starting up after fresh Beowulf installation

From a root console service sddm restart could sent some error messages.

Offline

#4 2021-09-04 22:50:57

Monti
Member
Registered: 2017-09-25
Posts: 52  

Re: [SOLVED] SDDM not starting up after fresh Beowulf installation

Thank you guys for your replies.

Did not get any error messages, but the issue was solved after installing the firmware-amd-graphics package. So the problem was that SDDM did not start when necessary ATI/AMD firmware was not installed. After "firmware-amd-graphics" was installed SDDM started automatically with no other configurations.

Monti

Last edited by Monti (2021-09-04 22:51:43)

Offline

#5 2021-09-05 08:47:36

PedroReina
Member
From: Madrid, Spain
Registered: 2019-01-13
Posts: 205  
Website

Re: [SOLVED] SDDM not starting up after fresh Beowulf installation

Monti wrote:

So the problem was that SDDM did not start when necessary ATI/AMD firmware was not installed.

Long time ago I explained in a course about Debian how install X server and probing it working using the order X before installing any graphics login program. The course was very slow paced; nowadays we all can work much faster because everything works much better than 20 years ago, but knowing the basics is always useful.

Offline

#6 2021-09-06 14:19:29

Monti
Member
Registered: 2017-09-25
Posts: 52  

Re: [SOLVED] SDDM not starting up after fresh Beowulf installation

PedroReina wrote:

Long time ago I explained in a course about Debian how install X server and probing it working using the order X before installing any graphics login program. The course was very slow paced; nowadays we all can work much faster because everything works much better than 20 years ago, but knowing the basics is always useful.

Thank you Pedro for your additional input. Do you know about a good tutorial which go into what you taught?

Offline

#7 2021-09-07 09:14:25

PedroReina
Member
From: Madrid, Spain
Registered: 2019-01-13
Posts: 205  
Website

Re: [SOLVED] SDDM not starting up after fresh Beowulf installation

Monti wrote:

Do you know about a good tutorial which go into what you taught?

My own script for that course is very dated (Debian 3) and in Spanish, but it is here: IntranetEducativa.pdf

I'm not aware of a similar slow paced tutorial, but may be because I no longer teach IT. Maybe projects as Linux from Scratch can be useful to you; I would give it a try, I learn a lot back in the day with it.

Last edited by PedroReina (2021-09-07 10:45:26)

Offline

Board footer