The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-22 15:46:46

Jakoline

Questions Regarding Beowulf Netinstall

I'm trying to install Devuan Beowulf using the netinstall iso. And I have two questions:

1) Will I find LXQt available as an option during installation? I'm asking because the website says KDE and LXQt are only available in the DVD, which I find difficult to understand.

2) The installer complains about two missing firmware files for my Realtek rtl8723be chip, strangely after proceeding I find that wifi works and that I'm able to choose my home network. Could someone explain?

2aJZ4MeO_t.jpg
(Image is clickable)

Last edited by Jakoline (2021-08-22 15:48:05)

#2 2021-08-22 17:20:40

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: Questions Regarding Beowulf Netinstall

KDE and lxqt are choices in the tasksel menu. If you have a network connection during installation, you can install them. The statement about CD and DVD only apply to off-line installs.

Ignore that first question about missing firmware. There's wireless firmware in the iso, and it will be installed if you need it. If you don't want non-free firmware, choose Expert install to get some extra questions about that.

#3 2021-08-22 17:48:30

Jakoline

fsmithred wrote:

Ignore that first question about missing firmware. There's wireless firmware in the iso, and it will be installed if you need it. If you don't want non-free firmware, choose Expert install to get some extra questions about that.

Yes I ignored it and my wifi chip seems to work fine, but I still wanna know, why is it that choosing [yes] will only make the firmware dialogue reload itself instead of taking me to the next step? And how come my Realtek rtl8723be chip is working even when I choose [no] (don't reload)?

Is that a bug in the installer? Or does it mean that some extra files are required for full functionality?

#4 2021-08-22 18:11:10

fsmithred
Administrator

If you answer 'yes' to that first firmware question, you are expected to provide the actual files (not packages) on removable media (usb stick).

We use a modified version of debian-installer. Debian does not provide non-free firmware in their official isos, so they have that question for people who need the wireless firmware to do the install.

We put the firmware packages in the iso, but we still have to keep that question there for people who have hardware that requires firmware that we don't include for legal reasons, like some broadcom chips.

Even if you say 'no' to that first question, non-free firmware will be installed if you need it. That's because the packages are in the iso and the installer will install what's in the iso. (Unless you choose expert and decline the later questions.)

#5 2021-08-26 11:56:55

Jakoline

fsmithred wrote:

If you answer 'yes' to that first firmware question, you are expected to provide the actual files (not packages) on removable media (usb stick).

We use a modified version of debian-installer. Debian does not provide non-free firmware in their official isos, so they have that question for people who need the wireless firmware to do the install.

Thanks, now after installation I'm facing an issue with networking.

Here is the thread
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=31123#p31123
Please see if you can help

Board footer