The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-23 06:36:57

larsH

Encryption in chimaera

Hi

I am now back as a Devuan user. And I think I am here to stay for some time.  Have been a trip in Gentoo land. And it just kept running. But yesterday I saw the Chimaera Beta isos and decided to give them a try.

I had one problem. But a big one. Encryption with dm-crypt. I used manual partitioning as I have multiple disks. After selecting the partitions for encryption I could sometime "Set up encrypted partitions". Often that did nor work. When it did work they was not mounted by the installer. Other times it went straight on with the install of the system, leaving the rest of the disks not set up. But after about 10 attempts and whimoing around it suddenly worked. So I now have a shining new Chimaera system (XFCE). It works great. And I know the betas is not official (yet)

I have now realized that I should have set them up on the console before using the installer. My fault.

For the few programs I want to keep up to date I will as a new thing use flatpacks. They are endorsed by the communities making the programs, and as I have to use some of them on work as well they need to be comparable versions. But I do hope debian-backports at some point will improve.

Have a nice day
Lars H

#2 2021-08-23 18:05:17

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: Encryption in chimaera

I've done single partition encrypted installs, with or without lvm, and they worked. Maybe some more details about your setup would give us a clue to what went wrong.

Welcome back.

#3 2021-08-23 18:33:12

rolfie

Got 4 PC (one rarely used still on ASCII, one on Beowulf, two multiboot PCs now mainly working with Chimaera for productive work), a file server (upgraded from Beowulf) and a laptop with native Chimaera (set up in April). They all are encrypted, the system always sits on a encrypted LVM, the /home on a separate encrypted drive. On some of them other encrypted drives are loaded by an entry in the crypttab or via a separate script. Everything works very smooth and nice.

I use Chimaera now on all PCs that my wife and me work with regularly. Its rock stable. Very few glitches.

Lets us know details where you stumbled or had issues. Since an encrypted LVM is not absolutely straight forward, maybe its worth to try the basic setup in a VM?

rolfie

#4 2021-08-23 19:36:07

larsH

Hi

I have a 1 GB ssd for / . Not encrypted. And two disks 1GB for /home and 6GB used for /data. They are both encrypted with dm-crypt. And getting those two disks to work was the problem. No LVM. Not needed. But as I said if I had made and mounted them before beginning the install it would probably just have worked. It did work in Debian 10 and Beowulf without issues.

Have a nice day
Lars H

#5 2021-08-23 20:58:13

fsmithred
Administrator

1GB? A standard system install uses around 900MB, so I guess that can work. I have noticed that encrypted installs in qemu require 2GB RAM to boot. Is that limited, too?

Did you have to edit /etc/crypttab and /etc/fstab to get it to work?

#6 2021-08-24 05:09:20

larsH

Hi

My fault (very tired when answering). I have a 1 TB ssd for / . Not encrypted. And two disks 1TB for /home and 6TB used for /data. They are both encrypted with dm-crypt. And getting those two disks to work was the problem. No LVM. Not needed. But as I said if I had made and mounted them before beginning the install it would probably just have worked. It did work in Debian 10 and Beowulf without issues.

No did not edit those files. But that would be what I would had done if not using the installer. As I did when installing gentoo :-)

Have a nice day
Lars H

Last edited by larsH (2021-08-24 05:11:37)

#7 2021-08-26 11:22:24

larsH

Hi

And fsmithred asked about if enough ram. Yes indeed. 48G. So no issues there. And my system is now running very well.

Have a nice day
Lars H

Board footer