The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-22 19:25:51

einpoklum
Website

My chimaera install issues #6: lxqt-pm shouldn't be autorun on desktop

(This is part of a series of posts following my installation of Devuan Chimaera; for more information see the first post).

After starting a session for the first time (using LXQt and Muffin as the window manager), lxqt-powermanagement is run. I'm pretty sure this should not be run automatically on a desktop machine.

(Next post in the series: Issue #7)

Last edited by einpoklum (2021-07-22 22:28:30)

#2 2021-07-22 22:38:59

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Re: My chimaera install issues #6: lxqt-pm shouldn't be autorun on desktop

This is just a meta level note, that the way to capture bugs and user experience comments is by lodging "bugs", typically by email to the "bugs system".

The expectation is then that the lodger first tries to isolate which package is involved or seemingly involved and then lodge a "bug" against that package. If the package is "pure debian" the email target is "submit" at "bugs.debian.org, and if it's a devuan forked package, the email target is "submit" at "bugs.devuan.org,".

In both cases, the email should be a pure text email with the first two lines styled as

Package: packagename
Version: version

and then the description with details added.

It's of course fine to also note them at this forum, especially when it comes to more opinion based issues. However rather few of the package maintainers are at this forum.

#3 2021-07-22 22:55:50

einpoklum
Website

Well, I asked on the Devuan IRC channel, and it was suggested to me to report my series of issues here on the forum.

Also - for most of these issues, including this one, I'm not sure which package is to blame.

#4 2021-07-22 23:22:19

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Yes, someone has to do the work to figure that out. Why not you?
.. that's not meant to be aggressive in any way, but rather it's a suggestion that you shouldn't feel obstructed by imagined limitations and instead see it as an opportunity to learn as well as to actively contribute to the collaborative effort that Devuan is.

#5 2021-07-23 08:06:06

einpoklum
Website

opportunity to learn as well as to actively contribute to the collaborative effort that Devuan is.

I'm doing this because, before installation, I was specifically asked to provide feedback/report issues. That's my contribution. You're asking me to contribute more. Maybe I will, and maybe I won't, depending on the time I have.

Why not you?

Because distro maintainers are likely to usually be able to tell immediately which package an issue is associated with - if it can be said to be package-specific at all. And the latter point is the most difficult to determine. The package in-and-of-itself might be fine, but its combination with others in the distribution may be the cause of the problem.

Board footer