The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2021-05-13 12:55:19

fullofquestions

Re: Questions on Setting Up Hardware/Software on a New Devuan System

I'm using friend's smartphone both for tethering and wireless hotspot. No router here.

I can't see the wireless network even when I'm not connected through tethering. Should I completely close tethering from the phone? I guess create new ad-hoc network won't help right?

#27 2021-05-13 13:07:10

dice
Website

fullofquestions wrote:

I'm using friend's smartphone both for tethering and wireless hotspot. No router here.

I can't see the wireless network even when I'm not connected through tethering. Should I completely close tethering from the phone? I guess create new ad-hoc network won't help right?

do you see anyone elses networks like a list of surrounding wifi networks, there essids?

it sort of defeats the purpose if you use the smartphone in tethered mode to gain wireless capability through the hotspot of the same phone think, but i have never done this so im in uncharted territory.

#28 2021-05-13 13:11:05

fullofquestions

I'd like to free the phone from being attached here so I can have internet. But it seems to support both wireless and tethering at the same time, since friend's pc gets net through the wireless hotspot while tethering.

I can't see any wireless networks. I also cannot set up one (not sure if that's normal or not at this stage).  Closing tethering didn't bring up any wireless in wicd either.

Last edited by fullofquestions (2021-05-13 13:16:35)

#29 2021-05-13 13:24:29

dice
Website

You might need this firmware package.

sudo apt install firmware-ath9k-htc

reboot and see if you can see any other networks in wicd popup.

#30 2021-05-13 13:34:08

fullofquestions

Still nothing comes up.

Edit:
In Wicd Preferences,
Wireless Interface is empty
Wired Interface says usb0

Last edited by fullofquestions (2021-05-13 14:00:28)

#31 2021-05-13 13:51:23

dice
Website

fullofquestions wrote:

Still nothing comes up.

Edit:
In Wicd Preferences,
Wireless Interface is empty
Wired Interface says usb0

I dont know where to go from here sorry. I dont use wicd so im not much use, i rather command line apps like wpa-supplicant and iwd.

#32 2021-05-13 14:00:18

fullofquestions

dice wrote:

I dont know where to go from here sorry. I dont use wicd so im not much use, i rather command line apps like wpa-supplicant and iwd.

In wicd advanced options I found one about wpa-supplicant set to wext (with several other options).

Also found a guide saying if Wireless Interface is empty, set it to wlan0 (most common, but didn't work) or run iwconfig to find yours (resulted in command not found).

Any clue on those?

#33 2021-05-13 14:05:47

dice
Website

fullofquestions wrote:
dice wrote:

In wicd advanced options I found one about wpa-supplicant set to wext (with several other options).

Also found a guide saying if Wireless Interface is empty, set it to wlan0 (most common, but didn't work) or run iwconfig to find yours (resulted in command not found).

Any clue on those?

in wicd set the wireless interface to the adapter wlx28ee520d7ec2

that wlx interface is your tp link usb we got the address of from the command ip link.

Last edited by dice (2021-05-13 14:07:29)

#34 2021-05-13 14:12:18

fullofquestions

in wicd set the wireless interface to the adapter wlx28ee520d7ec2

that wlx interface is your tp link usb we got the address of from the command ip link.

This worked yay! Thanks a lot!

Returning to the next question, which should be the easiest (leaving the windows programs mess for later):

Root partition seems to fill up by installing synaptic packages (so I guess I can't be root user while doing that). I've tried with two games so far. Their main data folders go to /usr/share/. I suspect this is due to installing a single user system, other than that I can't think of anything else.

If this is the issue, I guess increasing root partition size might be the easiest, but not necessarily best solution.
If not, I'm clueless. Any advice on that?

Last edited by fullofquestions (2021-05-13 14:28:39)

#35 2021-05-13 14:32:44

dice
Website

did you choose the size of the root partition or was it automatically added during install ?

I would give atleast 20-30GB to root.

I dont use synaptic so cant help there. Root partition will fill up if you are installing big packages sets, especially for gaming.

edit: if you want to resize the root partition, look into how to use https://linux.die.net/man/8/resize2fs

Last edited by dice (2021-05-13 14:41:42)

#36 2021-05-13 14:47:59

fullofquestions

When firstly checking about partitions and installations on guides for various distros I saw things like 4GB should be ok. I gave it more 11GB (just to be sure). But it also gave me the impression that installed programs would go to home, which I made large enough (about 100GB). Giving more to Root through Gparted seems easy.

Question is how should I spread the 120GB sda between root and home, since I'm not sure yet on what gets filled up at a faster rate. Do all linux programs go to root? At least for my set-up? People in the chat claimed the opposite so I'm confused. I still have 2 old 500GB NTFS drives with windows programs, pictures, music etc, so I can use those to store random (non-program) files.

Last edited by fullofquestions (2021-05-13 14:52:55)

#37 2021-05-13 15:04:18

dice
Website

most programs belong to root. Its a security feature.

home user files will mostly contain configs, artwork or music and video files, not executables that could damage a system or be used by third parties to hack you etc.

i would give 30 GB to root and the remainder to home. Just be aware of the size of the files you intend to download and install.

#38 2021-05-13 16:58:35

fullofquestions

It looks like I need to boot with Live install CD to run Gparted with mounted, running partitions. If I only change partition sizes sensibly, everything should be fine afterwards, right?

On the plus side I got some things working fine with wine. But some of them with no sound. Quick search linked the issues to Pulse Audio, which many seem to despise for generally being buggy and having delay. Should I use alsa or something else instead?

Also, is there any tool that allows viewing dds images without loading them to gimp?

Last edited by fullofquestions (2021-05-13 17:24:56)

#39 2021-05-14 10:45:20

dice
Website

fullofquestions wrote:

It looks like I need to boot with Live install CD to run Gparted with mounted, running partitions. If I only change partition sizes sensibly, everything should be fine afterwards, right?

On the plus side I got some things working fine with wine. But some of them with no sound. Quick search linked the issues to Pulse Audio, which many seem to despise for generally being buggy and having delay. Should I use alsa or something else instead?

Also, is there any tool that allows viewing dds images without loading them to gimp?

yeah gparted should be able to resize partitions ok, might take awhile though. I think you need parted program for it work inside gparted, from memory anyhow.

sudo apt install parted

i have no idea what to do with wine.

what is a dds image?

#40 2021-05-14 11:09:43

fullofquestions

I have parted but it still wouldn't let me without live boot. And it seems normal, since I want to reduce home and give to root, but both are in use while the system is running.

DDS is an image format similar to .tga I think, but it's not as easy to preview those. While modding games or designing crappy artwork for my music it helps a lot to preview many small icons while in their folders instead of loading all of them in gimp. I used Sagethumbs for that in windows, but search for linux alternatives is fruitless so far.

#41 2021-05-14 11:14:50

dice
Website

yeah you will have to resize in a live environment with the partitions unmounted. Us a graphical live iso from the downloads section or any graphical debian based live image should suffice, i would recommend refracta linux myself.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/refracta/

^ not that link, too old.

This one >>> https://get.refracta.org/files/stable/

til about dds images wink

Last edited by dice (2021-05-14 11:22:14)

#42 2021-05-14 11:31:32

fullofquestions

I loaded the live boot devuan and run gparted from that, resized and everything seems fine:)

I don't get this:

til about dds images

#43 2021-05-14 12:25:04

dice
Website

fullofquestions wrote:

I loaded the live boot devuan and run gparted from that, resized and everything seems fine:)

I don't get this:

til about dds images

sorry, just an acronym for "today i learned".

#44 2021-05-17 10:25:08

fullofquestions

dice wrote:

Np, just first time I come across this:)

So does anyone have Pulse-audio related advice?

Sub-questions:
Should I replace it? With Alsa?
Pulse & Wine?
Pulse & DAWs (digital audio interfaces)?

#45 2021-05-17 14:27:06

dice
Website

fullofquestions wrote:
dice wrote:

Np, just first time I come across this:)

So does anyone have Pulse-audio related advice?

Sub-questions:
Should I replace it? With Alsa?
Pulse & Wine?
Pulse & DAWs (digital audio interfaces)?

Create a new thread regarding pulseaudio/alsa related advice.

Board footer