The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-01 13:00:12

rolfie

Firewall on laptop with Chimaera

I think I should install a firewall on my laptop, since it will be used in open networks connecting via wifi. This is a new situation for me. My desktops at home do not have a firewall installed, I rely on the one in the DSL modem and the ethernet router behind that. So far I never had any issues.

What is a recommendable firewall with an easy way to enable for wifi traffic? Is UFW/GUFW good enough and state of the art?

Thanks, rolfie

#2 2021-05-02 16:55:32

Ogis1975
Website

Re: Firewall on laptop with Chimaera

rolfie wrote:

Is UFW/GUFW good enough and state of the art?

Yes, it is not a bad choice .

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#3 2021-05-02 21:41:40

fsmithred
Administrator

arno-iptables-firewall is nice and simple. You can configure it with debconf, and it will ask a few questions about which interface(s) to use and which ports to open, etc. There's a way to do fancier stuff by editing configs, but I've never done anything with that.

#4 2021-05-02 23:15:31

pcalvert

I like FireHOL. It uses a simple, human-readable configuration file.

Package name: firehol

More info:
https://firehol.org/
https://packages.debian.org/stable/firehol

For a laptop, the default configuration would probably be sufficient.

Phil

Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

#5 2021-05-02 23:25:14

GlennW

I'm using UFW/GUFW, but it was a bit of a bitch to get working on start.

Somehow the program and install directory permissions were owned by the user (me), and

the program need root to start.

I eventually fixed it, i think... while looking into the "su -" and path changes.

I'm always thankful for the suggestions on firewall apps, for researching next ...

Last edited by GlennW (2021-05-02 23:41:19)

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#6 2021-05-07 13:53:33

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

I think a better approach would be to disable any listening services on the laptop. The best firewall is not having to need a firewall at all smile

In respect of {G,}UFW, those front-ends were created because the iptables syntax is so horrible but nftables has a *much* simpler language and so doesn't really need those tools any more. See also https://wiki.nftables.org/wiki-nftables … /Main_Page

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

Board footer