The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-14 10:17:34

gour

runit --> sysvinit

Hello,

I moved away from Debian and on both of my machines put Devuan/ceres/runit. Now I see that some runit scripts are missing, so consider that it is maybe wiser to revert to sysvinit until runit becomes more popular since atm I do not have lot of time doing admin work, so wonder what would be procedure to migrate from runit to sysvinit?

#2 2021-04-14 10:53:54

MLEvD

Re: runit --> sysvinit

Why not put a system on the same machine, or on a disk, with the same config as your main system, and do the experiments on that test system first?

Just installing sysvinit-core has always removed runit for me.

#3 2021-04-14 11:00:36

gour

MLEvD wrote:

Why not put a system on the same machine, or on a disk, with the same config as your main system, and do the experiments on that test system first?

Because they're not the same machines - one is old netbook and another is desktop with the different sets of services required.

Just installing sysvinit-core has always removed runit for me.

Thanks.

#4 2021-04-14 20:40:48

fsmithred
Administrator

I just tried this in a test system (chimaera in qemu) and had a lot of trouble going back to sysvinit. I'm pretty sure that's because of some changes I made. After I added some runscripts and got them working right, I used update-rc.d to remove the corresponding sysvinit links and I also made the init scripts non-executable. I should have reversed those changes before installing sysvinit-core.

It's working, but it takes a long time for the desktop to come up. Boot time is normal, it pauses at console login, and at first I thought I would get no desktop. So I logged into console, and it took a minute to respond to my password. About that time, the desktop came up. If I don't log into the console, the same thing happens. Takes about a minute from when I log in for the desktop to come up.

#5 2021-04-15 15:10:41

fsmithred
Administrator

I went back and forth between sysvinit and runit a few times before I realized that elogind was not running. I set it to start in runlevels 2-5 with sysv-rc-conf, but it still didn't run. I ended up reinstalling elogind libpam-elogind and libelogind0 and the delays are gone. It seems to be working normally now.

#6 2021-04-24 16:23:14

MLEvD

Make enough space on the target machine to create a new partition for the test system? Is that too risky? Why do people keep having just one copy of each computer? It seems risky!

Board footer