The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-10 10:02:17

russlandry21@gmail.com
Member
Registered: 2021-04-10
Posts: 5  

Hello All, question about downloading the source

Hello all,

My name is Russ, it great to meet everyone. I stumbled onto Devuan last week and I must say, I'm in love. I am the CIO of a startup company and I was looking for an OS to install on our first server, a Dell T140. This this will host our DNS server, webserver, email server and our DB server, so I needed something light that did have a ton of extra garbage running in the back ground chewing up all our ram. It seems that Devuan will be my answer. I would like to clone the source directory of Chimaera and build a full repository on the server so I can make sure I have all the dependencies needed before I go online in case I have issues and can't download them, but for the life of me, I can't seem to figure out where it is. I've been to the Git, but I really don't see the source directory linked in all the posts here on the forum. All I keep getting sent to is the source code for the webpage. I know it's user error, but I can't figure out my misstep. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Russ

Last edited by russlandry21@gmail.com (2021-04-10 12:24:53)

Offline

#2 2021-04-10 10:11:06

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 1,869  
Website

Re: Hello All, question about downloading the source

Hello Russ smile

russlandry21@gmail.com wrote:

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure if it's a good idea to have you email address as your user name but I suppose the big G has pretty good spam filters.

If this is a support thread then please change the title so that it succinctly summarises the problem at hand.

In respect of your actual problem then see https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-offline/ (I've never used it myself but it seems to do what you want).

And finally I would strongly caution against using one of the development branches in a production environment. Can you not use beowulf instead?


antifa ftw!

Offline

#3 2021-04-10 11:25:36

dice
Member
Registered: 2020-11-22
Posts: 559  
Website

Re: Hello All, question about downloading the source

You might be better off with a server cd set, im not sure about anything that is available as a cd set for testing/chimaera only stable beowulf. Im also not sure about how you would go downloading the source either, you need to understand the underpinnings of what devuan is, that being a fork of debian.

See this link for the server cd instructions. https://www.devuan.org/get-devuan

server (~670 MB): CD1 of a 4 CD set that allows for a complete off-line server/minimal installation. The remaining CDs offer several desktop choices and a limited selection of additional software.

    CD2: Xfce (installable from tasksel) and LXDE.
    CD3: MATE (installable from tasksel) and Openbox window manager.
    CD4: Cinnamon (installable from tasksel) but requires CD2 and CD3 to install.

Last edited by dice (2021-04-10 11:27:01)

Offline

#4 2021-04-10 12:29:37

russlandry21@gmail.com
Member
Registered: 2021-04-10
Posts: 5  

Re: Hello All, question about downloading the source

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Hello Russ smile

russlandry21@gmail.com wrote:

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure if it's a good idea to have you email address as your user name but I suppose the big G has pretty good spam filters.

If this is a support thread then please change the title so that it succinctly summarises the problem at hand.

In respect of your actual problem then see https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-offline/ (I've never used it myself but it seems to do what you want).

And finally I would strongly caution against using one of the development branches in a production environment. Can you not use beowulf instead?

Haha, I didn't even notice that i typed my email address as the login, oh well. I'm sure I could use beowulf, but when I was reading on the "How can you help section", it seemed like they were looking for people to help test. I saw the server CD's and tried them, but I figured while I was getting everything tested and setup I could just help the process along. I'll setup a virtual server as a back up until I get all the bugs worked out. I didn't see much documentation in the way of server support so I figured I could give it a go to help out since I'm going to be doing it anyway.

Offline

#5 2021-04-10 12:33:52

russlandry21@gmail.com
Member
Registered: 2021-04-10
Posts: 5  

Re: Hello All, question about downloading the source

dice wrote:

You might be better off with a server cd set, im not sure about anything that is available as a cd set for testing/chimaera only stable beowulf. Im also not sure about how you would go downloading the source either, you need to understand the underpinnings of what devuan is, that being a fork of debian.

See this link for the server cd instructions. https://www.devuan.org/get-devuan

server (~670 MB): CD1 of a 4 CD set that allows for a complete off-line server/minimal installation. The remaining CDs offer several desktop choices and a limited selection of additional software.

    CD2: Xfce (installable from tasksel) and LXDE.
    CD3: MATE (installable from tasksel) and Openbox window manager.
    CD4: Cinnamon (installable from tasksel) but requires CD2 and CD3 to install.

Yeah, it does, but I still need Bind9, Ngnix, Php, and some server admin tools, as well as all the email server stuff postfix etc. I'd like to build a complete catalog of all the source files I need for the entire build and then who knows, maybe can submit it as a ready made package.

Offline

#6 2021-04-10 13:21:03

dice
Member
Registered: 2020-11-22
Posts: 559  
Website

Re: Hello All, question about downloading the source

russlandry21@gmail.com wrote:
dice wrote:

You might be better off with a server cd set, im not sure about anything that is available as a cd set for testing/chimaera only stable beowulf. Im also not sure about how you would go downloading the source either, you need to understand the underpinnings of what devuan is, that being a fork of debian.

See this link for the server cd instructions. https://www.devuan.org/get-devuan

server (~670 MB): CD1 of a 4 CD set that allows for a complete off-line server/minimal installation. The remaining CDs offer several desktop choices and a limited selection of additional software.

    CD2: Xfce (installable from tasksel) and LXDE.
    CD3: MATE (installable from tasksel) and Openbox window manager.
    CD4: Cinnamon (installable from tasksel) but requires CD2 and CD3 to install.

Yeah, it does, but I still need Bind9, Ngnix, Php, and some server admin tools, as well as all the email server stuff postfix etc. I'd like to build a complete catalog of all the source files I need for the entire build and then who knows, maybe can submit it as a ready made package.

Have you tried the server cd ? I would like to think the cd had those programs you need installed as it is quite larger than the normal netinstall iso.

This is the one im talking about at 590 MB

devuan_beowulf_3.1.1_amd64_server.iso    590.0 MiB    2021-Mar-17 23:26

Random mirror...

https://mirror.leaseweb.com/devuan/devu … aller-iso/

Offline

#7 2021-04-10 13:27:18

alphalpha
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2018-01-23
Posts: 108  

Re: Hello All, question about downloading the source

apt source name-of-package

is this what you want?


Protip: make your own CD with refracta-snapshot

Offline

#8 2021-04-10 14:11:29

fsmithred
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 1,958  

Re: Hello All, question about downloading the source

alphalpha wrote:
apt source name-of-package

is this what you want?

The command shown above would be used if you want to get the actual source code of the package to examine it or to rebuild the package differently. If you just want a copy of the installable packages, the command would be

apt download name-of-package

You could do this for every installed package to get a full set of .deb packages. dpkg -l will list all installed packages.  Something like this might work for you.

apt download $(dpkg -l | awk '/^ii/ { print $2 }')

The reason you're having trouble finding devuan packages on devuan servers is because most of the packages in devuan get pulled directly from debian and magically merged with the few pure devuan packages to give the impression that we have a repository of 60,000 packages. The software that does the merging is called amprolla. Our own packages are at pkgmaster.devuan.org. Debian's packages are at packages.debian.org.

Another option would be to download the debian dvd set, the devuan server iso and maybe the devuan desktop dvd iso. We don't provide a full dvd set like debian does, so it's possible that some packages might still be missing. But I think most of what you want will be in the debian set. You will have to pull these packages off the media manually to use them or maybe set up a local instance of both debian and devuan repos and amprolla to do the merge and filter out banned packages.

Source code for debian packages can also be found in their git repo, salsa.debian.org
Source code for pure devuan packages can be found at git.devuan.org

apt-cacher might do what you want, too. I don't know much about it.

Edit: This might be helpful. How to set up a devuan package mirror:
https://pkgmaster.devuan.org/devuan_mir … hrough.txt

Offline

#9 2021-04-11 00:06:20

russlandry21@gmail.com
Member
Registered: 2021-04-10
Posts: 5  

Re: Hello All, question about downloading the source

fsmithred wrote:
alphalpha wrote:
apt source name-of-package

is this what you want?

The command shown above would be used if you want to get the actual source code of the package to examine it or to rebuild the package differently. If you just want a copy of the installable packages, the command would be

apt download name-of-package

You could do this for every installed package to get a full set of .deb packages. dpkg -l will list all installed packages.  Something like this might work for you.

apt download $(dpkg -l | awk '/^ii/ { print $2 }')

The reason you're having trouble finding devuan packages on devuan servers is because most of the packages in devuan get pulled directly from debian and magically merged with the few pure devuan packages to give the impression that we have a repository of 60,000 packages. The software that does the merging is called amprolla. Our own packages are at pkgmaster.devuan.org. Debian's packages are at packages.debian.org.

Another option would be to download the debian dvd set, the devuan server iso and maybe the devuan desktop dvd iso. We don't provide a full dvd set like debian does, so it's possible that some packages might still be missing. But I think most of what you want will be in the debian set. You will have to pull these packages off the media manually to use them or maybe set up a local instance of both debian and devuan repos and amprolla to do the merge and filter out banned packages.

Source code for debian packages can also be found in their git repo, salsa.debian.org
Source code for pure devuan packages can be found at git.devuan.org

apt-cacher might do what you want, too. I don't know much about it.

Edit: This might be helpful. How to set up a devuan package mirror:
https://pkgmaster.devuan.org/devuan_mir … hrough.txt




WOW! Thanks for the info, I will get right on it!

Offline

Board footer