The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#76 2021-04-06 16:20:22

Spock

Re: What other distro are you using (besides devuan)?

dice wrote:

I gave slitaz a try today, i just love how they have created such a tiny distro that can do so much for old hardware. I managed to install it to a partition on an old laptop i had collecting dust and it works perfectly, even picked up the ancient wifi dongle i used with way back.

https://slitaz.org/en/

I used slitaz many years ago. I think that would have been about 2004 maybe 2006
I loved it too
also DSL is similar and great and .... oh ummmm ahhhh something box .. a french distro I believe
I'll look that up
OH - madbox

Last edited by Spock (2021-04-06 16:21:08)

#77 2021-04-08 05:10:49

combridge

Wife uses SalixOS in VM.
I have Devuan in a VM.
Devuan - on another two laptops
Have used SalixOS, Slackware, Debian, PCLOS, Ubuntu, Mint in the past.
I like SalixOS but it hasn't been updated for some time since it's based on Slackware.

#78 2021-04-08 16:40:06

andyprough

antiX Libre respin with Linux-libre kernel and the "abrowser" libre and privacy-focused firefox fork from the Trisquel project. All non-free firmware removed, so it is super light and super fast. None of that Intel mei module garbage to deal with.

Of course no systemd and no pulseaudio, goes without saying.

#79 2021-04-08 16:46:21

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

andyprough wrote:

antiX Libre respin with Linux-libre kernel

You do know the De??an kernels are already de-blobbed, right? The only difference with the "Libre" kernel is that the ability to load non-free firmware has been hobbled but that's irrelevant if you use Devuan without the non-free firmware packages installed.

And to stay on topic: I've deleted my Debian systems so I'm now just using Arch & Alpine Linux. Alpine is my favourite and I might drop Arch once I get bored of GNOME 40.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#80 2021-04-08 18:21:52

MiyoLinux

Well...aside from a certain rolling-release respin of Devuan tongue , I also use...

Venom Linux - to satisfy my source-based distroism.
OpenBSD - to satisfy my BSDism.
Void Linux - to satisfy my ... well ... I just like it. smile

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#81 2021-04-08 20:43:32

andyprough

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
andyprough wrote:

You do know the De??an kernels are already de-blobbed, right? The only difference with the "Libre" kernel is that the ability to load non-free firmware has been hobbled but that's irrelevant if you use Devuan without the non-free firmware packages installed.

lsmod shows 41 additional modules with the default kernel in Devuan over the Linux-libre kernel in antiX Libre respin. Including some stuff I don't want such as appletalk and bluetooth. It's mainly just a personal preference though - the Devuan kernel is mostly blob-free enough for me, but I prefer Linux Libre, and I have no need to install non-free firmware on a Libre system so the "hobbling" is irrelevant.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

And to stay on topic: I've deleted my Debian systems so I'm now just using Arch & Alpine Linux. Alpine is my favourite and I might drop Arch

I'm proud of you!

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

once I get bored of GNOME 40.

I threw up in my mouth a little bit...

#82 2021-04-08 22:59:12

zapper

andyprough wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
andyprough wrote:

lsmod shows 41 additional modules with the default kernel in Devuan over the Linux-libre kernel in antiX Libre respin. Including some stuff I don't want such as appletalk and bluetooth. It's mainly just a personal preference though - the Devuan kernel is mostly blob-free enough for me, but I prefer Linux Libre, and I have no need to install non-free firmware on a Libre system so the "hobbling" is irrelevant.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

And to stay on topic: I've deleted my Debian systems so I'm now just using Arch & Alpine Linux. Alpine is my favourite and I might drop Arch

I'm proud of you!

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

once I get bored of GNOME 40.

I threw up in my mouth a little bit...

The fact anyone likes gnome makes me cringe also.  But also, most DE's make me cringe a little bit. They are mostly bloated. Lumina Desktop is the only one I respect currently.

I much prefer my i3-wm on my main laptop.  XFCE4 is good if your lazy same with LXDE, but yeah...

That being said, Gnome, MATE and KDE are crap in my opinion. Yes, even MATE.  IT looks nice, but its bloated. tongue

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#83 2021-04-09 14:53:46

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

andyprough wrote:

the Devuan kernel is mostly blob-free enough for me

Once more: the Devuan kernel is completely blob-free. Whatever extra modules you can see are all open-source unless you've added the contrib and/or non-free repository components and installed stuff from there.

#84 2021-04-09 19:50:16

Kamu

My main machine runs Devuan i3 and archlabs i3 on separate drives so I can choose which to boot and my laptop is running Obarun i3

Last edited by Kamu (2021-04-09 19:53:07)

#85 2021-04-09 20:12:19

andyprough

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Once more: the Devuan kernel is completely blob-free. Whatever extra modules you can see are all open-source unless you've added the contrib and/or non-free repository components and installed stuff from there.

That's an important distinction and good to know. Linux libre is the kernel I've compiled most often over the years and am most familiar with. I prefer using it on Devuan and antiX and MX.

#86 2021-06-08 12:50:04

tylerdurden

I stopped distro hopping years ago and since I don't care about using bleeding-edge software, I don't use rolling releases. I also don't use source-based distributions. So I find myself using Devuan (stable) exclusively on every single one of my machines with only a handful of backported packages installed. I've explored a few other distributions and the BSD family pretty thoroughly out of curiosity. Basically as a way of comparing how they work and as a learning experience. Saw no compelling reason to actually switch even though Slackware and OpenBSD did make a good impression on me. I'm sticking to Devuan as it suits my use case(s) very well.

#87 2021-06-09 09:22:29

Camtaf

Since I last posted in this thread, (a year ago), all my machines are running Devuan, mainly brought on by having it available for my RPi4B/400/3B+/3A+ which I really appreciate. smile

My regular distro was #! (Crunchbang) for many years, (before systemd existed), & on its demise I transferred to AntiX, using the Base version.

I tried Devuan a couple of times in the mean time, but always returned to AntiX.

I've also used OpenBSD as a fairly regular system on a couple of boxes, because I liked its low footprint - recently I tried NomadBSD, (based on FreeBSD), it runs live, & can be installed - so I did, to all but one of my computers, but felt that the USB transfer speed was just too slow, it only lasted just over a week!

......& so here I am with Devuan on all my machines - desktops, laptops, chromebook, & SBCs. big_smile

So that brings me up to date. wink

Last edited by Camtaf (2021-06-09 09:24:13)

#88 2021-08-11 10:49:43

csehszlovakze
Website

Right now I'm still on Kubuntu 18.04 as I don't have the time nor a necessary backup hard drive (at least 4TB) to finally do the switch. I'll probably wait till Chimaera becomes stable to do it. Until that, I have a Devuan VM set to testing (I know, but it's to see how usable it is) and an antiX VM just to play around.

#89 2021-08-16 15:34:43

vlax
Website

#!    -> A legend indeed

Camtaf wrote:

My regular distro was #! (Crunchbang) for many years, (before systemd existed), & on its demise I transferred to AntiX, using the Base version.

satellite mestizo

#90 2021-08-21 08:39:44

Nili
Website

Fedora Workstation

Curiosity and the wrong thought about GNOME made me to checkup once again after last time. I have it in use about a month two or three, thought i had created the wrong opinion about Fedora, but really it is a fine OS.

Very fresh about updates and fast about my daily tasks.

I'm glad i have installed this one on my new desktop, I do not know how long i will stick on it, but so far i am satisfied.

openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

#91 2021-08-29 04:26:27

andyprough

I'm trying Void for the first time this weekend. Holy smokes this is a fun distro! Missing some important software, so I added a Devuan Ceres layer with a Bedrock Linux script. It's a very sweet combination, as Bedrock Linux works really well with both Void and Devuan, and apt is completely seamless once Ceres is integrated into Void. Boot time is amazing - literally 2 seconds from grub to login manager, and that's on an older, slow-ish computer. And I do not know how they do what they do with memory usage, but I'm sitting here with 5 beefy programs open including VirtualBox and a fork of Manjaro's Octopi to manage software on the Void xbps package manager, and I look up and check my memory usage with 'free -h' --- and it's just cruising along at 250mb. Woah. Really, really enjoying this.

#92 2021-08-29 08:22:17

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

andyprough wrote:

it's just cruising along at 250mb

Is that the musl libc version? I've recently installed that myself but it's at the bare console stage atm.

#93 2021-08-30 00:25:42

andyprough

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
andyprough wrote:

Is that the musl libc version? I've recently installed that myself but it's at the bare console stage atm.

No, I decided to start with glibc as it gave me the best chance of running with the most software. I'm going to try the musl version soon and see if Bedrock Linux with the Devuan Ceres strata will install on top of it.

#94 2021-08-30 12:17:46

zapper

andyprough wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
andyprough wrote:

No, I decided to start with glibc as it gave me the best chance of running with the most software. I'm going to try the musl version soon and see if Bedrock Linux with the Devuan Ceres strata will install on top of it.

I used to have interest in voidlinux myself, for gaming, but since I have stopped doing so, and Voidlinux switched back to OpenSSL, it has lost any purpose of me wanting to use it, for anything.

wink

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#95 2021-08-30 13:04:58

andyprough

zapper wrote:
andyprough wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I used to have interest in voidlinux myself, for gaming, but since I have stopped doing so, and Voidlinux switched back to OpenSSL, it has lost any purpose of me wanting to use it, for anything.

wink

I had heard that too, zap, but I found that libressl is still available and there are instructions for installing it. I guess libressl just lost its default status to openssl is all that happened. Another thing that would be of interest to you is that unless you use certain web browsers or desktop environments, a base installation of Void seems to run without dbus.

I'll have to figure out how to find and remove all the non-free firmware it installs with and how to install Linux libre. Should be able to libretize it.

Last edited by andyprough (2021-08-30 13:06:23)

#96 2021-08-30 13:11:41

andyprough

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
andyprough wrote:

So I tried musl, with DWM as the only window manager it starts out at 89mb. Bedrock Linux and the Devuan Ceres strata does install. Pretty sweet!

#97 2021-08-30 18:13:16

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Yeah musl rules :-)

You can run glibc programs from a flatpak or chroot anyway:

https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Runni … c_programs

#98 2021-08-30 19:56:55

zapper

andyprough wrote:
zapper wrote:
andyprough wrote:

wink

I had heard that too, zap, but I found that libressl is still available and there are instructions for installing it. I guess libressl just lost its default status to openssl is all that happened. Another thing that would be of interest to you is that unless you use certain web browsers or desktop environments, a base installation of Void seems to run without dbus.

I'll have to figure out how to find and remove all the non-free firmware it installs with and how to install Linux libre. Should be able to libretize it.

Void can work without dbus? I am surprised, I didn't know this... hmm.

Do you know if they plan to remove libressl in the future completely? Regardless, for me its Hyperbola or bust at this point.

smile

Peace Be With us All!

#99 2021-09-07 02:28:23

durham

Besides Devuan, I currently have Liinux from Scratch, Slackware and Void installed on this computer.

Last edited by durham (2021-09-07 02:29:21)

A dangerous technology is one that is available only to an elite group  -- George M. Ewing, Analog, April 1977

#100 2021-09-16 17:20:07

Ogis1975
Website

Void Linux

2021-09-16-193702-1920x1080-scrot.png

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

Board footer