The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-04 12:19:00

dice
Website

Archlinux installer

I know this is not related to devuan or debian but historic since the last official arch installer was many years ago.

I tried it out today, it works but only if you like a boot and root setup. Very minimal installer and imo they should just stick to the arch way.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= … rchinstall

Last edited by dice (2021-04-04 12:23:38)

#2 2021-04-04 13:30:51

Nili
Website

Re: Archlinux installer

I do not see anything negative in their installation changes, despite haven't seen it yet. This can even be view as a way to survey what kind of users it will bring on their home. I'm too for the original Arch way of installing the distro, Command line installs miracles smile

openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

#3 2021-04-04 13:44:16

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

dice wrote:

they should just stick to the arch way

The ISO boots to a root shell rather than the new installer so the command line method is still available and I can't see this changing in the future.

I quite like the new installer because it uses a Python module to make it easily extensible and it doesn't use ****ing bash. It doesn't support non-UEFI systems (yet) and it defaults to systemd-boot & systemd-networkd but I like those anyway.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#4 2021-04-04 13:58:46

dice
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
dice wrote:

they should just stick to the arch way

The ISO boots to a root shell rather than the new installer so the command line method is still available and I can't see this changing in the future.

I quite like the new installer because it uses a Python module to make it easily extensible and it doesn't use ****ing bash. It doesn't support non-UEFI systems (yet) and it defaults to systemd-boot & systemd-networkd but I like those anyway.

It is most likely early days for it, ill give it kudos for actually working without issues in my case. But it is still limited in its current form, lack of verbosity, partition and filesystem choices. But as you say the manual method is available as default.

Last edited by dice (2021-04-04 14:00:00)

Board footer