The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-20 07:57:18

ruenoak
Website

NFT (non-fungible token) and creative works

I've just been listening to a podcast about NFT (non-fungible token trying to get my head around it and understand how it works.
Something that worries me is the concept of perpetuity royalty, that you get with NFT. Now it is not that the creator is getting paid for what the created, that's great. It's the worry that this also means perpetuity copyright. Now I don't understand NFT that well but am I right here? Or if it hasn't been thought up yet, can it happen with NFT? Because if is or it can be, this is a big problem for future works entering the public domain.

For along time now we have seen big media companies manipulating and lobbying for extended copyright, we just need to look at Disney for proof of that.
If Disney some how created NFT around Mickey Mouse would they have perpetual copyright, so Mickey Mouse would never enter the public domain.
Mickey Mouse is just an example or course, the way Disney Corp have tangled Mickey Mouse up in a billion trademarks, it will never enter the public domain.
But what about other creative works, are they in danger of perpetual copyright?
Here's the podcast link if anyone is interested. https://www.badvoltage.org/2021/03/19/3x25/
Looking forward to your thoughts on this.

ruenoak.

Last edited by ruenoak (2021-03-20 07:59:30)

"Has cat, eats cheese, drinks coffee, Chaotic Neutral " smile

#2 2021-03-20 10:58:59

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: NFT (non-fungible token) and creative works

Ownership of an NFT does not confer control of copyright. Most NFTs can be freely copied by anyone because doing so will usually increase the value of the NFT.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

Board footer