The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-15 21:01:47

swarfendor437

My Ryzen 7 1700-X Cooling experience!

When I upgraded this rig, by that I mean the CoolerMaster Case i've had since about 2006, I bought an Asus X-470 Pro Motheboard, and what I though was going to be a an AMD Ryzen processor with cooling fan. The processor arrived and all the other bits but the processor box on one side said "With fan" and on the other side "no fan is in this box"! All i got from the supplier was a £5 refund! So i have foolishly been using the old motherboard's CPU Cooler, an Asus Red Lion Square cooler but recently had a lot of re-starts and warning on CPU error on reboot. So I thought it was time to get something decent. I did not want to risk liquid cooling as have heard quite a few horror stories about leaks. So in the end I purchased a Noctua AH-15 with two 140 mm fans - but sadly could only use the one as the RAM modules are that little bit too high. That aside I was really impressed with the Cooler and the AMD kit which thanks to Boris's Botched Brexit plan took 2 months to arrive from Austria in stead of a week or two so Saturday just gone was spent installing the wondrous beast. Can highly recommend this piece of kit as it is a welcome relief from having to use that annoying, 'spring clip' that has to get 'forcefully' hooked on to the notched retainers attached to the Motherboard.
My gallery of the recent install can be found here:

https://ibb.co/album/RTrYPV

#2 2021-03-16 04:41:38

steve_v

Re: My Ryzen 7 1700-X Cooling experience!

swarfendor437 wrote:

I purchased a Noctua AH-15

An excellent call. Noctua make the best air coolers available, both in terms of performance and quality. Their maglev fans are also all-around excellent, and IME will outlast pretty much anything else.
As an added bonus, the Noctua Industrial PPC series is one of the few aftermarket fan options that works properly with the BMC on Supermicro server boards while still being (relatively) quiet.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#3 2021-03-16 05:45:31

GlennW

I have a Ryzen 2700+ on a ROG Strix (asus) x470-F Gaming board with a Noctua NH-U12P (se2)
and it's quite good, very quiet and surprisingly easy to configure it's speed in the bios(?) settings.
I had to get a special adaptor for it to fit this Mobo, but I'm glad I did. :-)

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#4 2021-03-20 08:14:54

zephyr
Website

GlennW wrote: I have a Ryzen 2700+ on a ROG Strix (asus) x470-F Gaming board with a Noctua NH-U12P (se2)

@ GlennW: Im running similar with stock cooler, appreciate the info, something to consider.

ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 ATX X470 Motherboard w/ AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler

Thanks!

cheers

zephyr

Last edited by zephyr (2021-03-20 08:17:01)

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

Board footer