The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-10 02:37:56

ComputerBob
Website

Restore default Desktop Settings Background choices

I'm currently using Devuan Beowulf, fully updated.

Awhile ago, I changed the desktop wallpaper to use photos from one of my personal folders. It worked beautifully.

But now, I'd like to change that setting back to the one-word (I don't remember its name) default folder.

I can't do it, because the only options that I see are folders in the entire file system, not the one-word name of that default desktop wallpaper/image folder.

As a work-around, I was able to set that setting to "/etc/alternatives/", so I could use the default maroon background image as my desktop wallpaper.

I don't understand how that will work in the future, when I upgrade to Chimaera, etc. Will my system start  using the new distro's default desktop wallpaper folder again, or will it continue to use the images in /etc/alternatives/" that I specifically specified?

If possible, I'd like to reset my desktop wallpaper folder location back to its default location, (is it a symlink?) to ensure that it will continue to work in future versions of Devuan, but after 4 days of research and trial-and-error, I can't figure out how to do that without having to reinstall and re-configure a whole lot of stuff.

Does anyone know the best way to restore the default one-word background image folder, without messing up my fully configured system?

ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 22 Million Views since 1998
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

#2 2021-03-10 09:58:09

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: Restore default Desktop Settings Background choices

That single name folder is hiding in that whole file system. It's /usr/share/backgrounds/xfce.

Any time you change settings in xfce, they get stored in ~/.config/xfce4. One way to return to default settings is to remove the files that hold those settings. The same is true for program settings in ~/.config. If you delete all of that hidden dir, your desktop goes back to the default the same as if you had created a new user and logged in for the first time.

#3 2021-03-10 12:38:15

ComputerBob
Website

Re: Restore default Desktop Settings Background choices

THANK YOU! Using your excellent, valuable, and previously un-findable (to me) advice, I was able to easily get my system back to using the "xfce" folder for desktop background/wallpaper images! Yay!  smile

ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 22 Million Views since 1998
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

Board footer