The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-17 15:13:16

kajukenbo

tmux hang on Linux VT Consoles

Hello all.

My apologies since this likely the wrong place for this but there is a pretty obvious problem with tmux on VT consoles.

Start tmux (Beowulf tmux_2.8-3_amd64.deb or Chimera tmux_3.1c-1_amd64.deb) and it just hangs, requiring it to be killed.

tmux -vv was not much help to me, but I am _guessing_ it may be related to modesetting or something along those lines since there is no issue if you start it from x-terminal.  There was no new kernel to update to and test with so YMMV.

Full disclosure, I've only tried devuan_beowulf_3.1.0_amd64_desktop-live.iso

It is faster for me to grab my T430 with FreeBSD or ssh to my home server than to fiddle with this too much, but I am happy to do additional testing if someone has suggestions.

Anyway, thanks for keeping the Unix Philosophy alive.

D

Last edited by kajukenbo (2021-02-18 02:19:40)

#2 2021-02-18 00:46:38

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: tmux hang on Linux VT Consoles

I can reproduce this problem in a live session, but not in an installed system that was installed with the desktop-live. Might have to do with the tty-autologin feature in the live isos, or maybe not.

You can use screen instead. It's already installed and it does work in console in the live session.

#3 2021-02-18 02:17:47

kajukenbo

Re: tmux hang on Linux VT Consoles

Thanks for the reply.

I noticed that GNU Screen was included and seemed to work.
I prefer Tmux for various reasons (pane behavior for one), but at least Screen is an option, as you say.

Thanks also for confirming Tmux functions if installed.
I do not recall this issue with the previous 3.0 media, but I pulled the updated 3.1 ISO for all the updates.

Board footer