The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-29 17:45:41

manyroads
Website

dwm on Miyo (Devuan Ceres- rolling)

FWIW I have created a dual headed desktop (MiyoOB & dwm) on the Miyo Rolling base.  Sometime fairly soon I'll publish the tools I used to build the environment alng with relevant instructions for any intrepid adventures....

I plan to place a link to the Free build tutorials in a reply on this thread.  I hope the 'god's' accept such things in this forum.

dwm-Miyo-Linux-Devuan-Ceres-with-ranger-conky.png

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads
i3wm, bspwm, dkwm, dwm, hlwm, sway, openbox on Sid/ ceres ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

#2 2020-10-30 09:05:03

MiyoLinux

Re: dwm on Miyo (Devuan Ceres- rolling)

Wow...that's fantastic!

I'm looking forward to finding out more regarding the build tools that you mentioned. smile

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#3 2020-10-30 14:22:31

manyroads
Website

Unfortunately my tale is a sad one...

After running for two days connman-cmst totally borked my install.... Even wired eth did not work. Would not be 'made' to work... sad 

I have run out of machines to break neither of my two laptops were at all happy with whatever ingredient is hiding in connman.. btw. antiX does the same thing (it also insists on using connman). 

Sadly,  I'm thinking about installing the laptop with MX (non-systemd).  Whatever connman might save in space it's not worth it to me, anyway.

Last edited by manyroads (2020-10-30 14:27:43)

Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

#4 2020-10-30 17:34:01

manyroads
Website

I do like breaking things. smile

I did decide to do yet another reinstall of Miyo.  Got the network thing hammered into place only to discover Devuan repos would not sync.  So... I just decided that Ceres/Rolling is probably not reliable enough for me. I do really like Miyo, though.

and now for something really different, I am off to play with Void some.  wink

Pax vobiscum,

#5 2020-10-30 19:24:06

MiyoLinux

I understand.

Someone recently said the same thing on Sourceforge about CMST on Miyo-Rolling a couple of weeks ago. So...I suggested they...

First install network-manager-gnome.
Then remove CMST.

It worked for me on Ceres...but I don't like network-manager-gnome, so I removed it and installed CMST again. Hahaha! smile tongue

Might be an option if you ever want to try it again in the future.

Ceres has been absolutely stable for me, but then again, I have very minimal setups, so there's not much to break.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#6 2020-10-30 20:21:44

brocashelm

manyroads wrote:

I do like breaking things. smile

I did decide to do yet another reinstall of Miyo.  Got the network thing hammered into place only to discover Devuan repos would not sync.  So... I just decided that Ceres/Rolling is probably not reliable enough for me. I do really like Miyo, though.

and now for something really different, I am off to play with Void some.  wink

Sync problems sometimes happen. I recommend retrying a few more times. I usually succeed after the second or third attempt. Also, Ceres is VERY stable on my machines, and I have not returned to Beowulf or Chimaera ever since. The few instances of breakage I've experienced have been mild at worst. You just have to use common sense. smile

#7 2020-10-30 20:38:18

manyroads
Website

@MiyoLinux, I was the guy pestering you on Sourceforge.... smile

So here is what I have done and am testing.  For the last few hours things have worked. Yay! 
As @Head_on_a_Stick will confirm, I do beat on my systems.  I'm also reasonably tenacious.  lol   Anyway here's what I have done:

Miyo (Devuan) dwm Install/ Build

Replace Network Connman and start MiyoLinux:   

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install firefox network-manager nm-tray network-manager-gnome
sudo apt remove connman cmst
sudo reboot

After First reboot (I install the stuff I want.  btw. I have also used deb files for various apps like skype, zoom, etc because I prefer to avoid appimages flatpaks, snaps.) :

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt autoclean && sudo apt autoremove
sudo apt install firefox thunderbird dunst rofi geany conky filezilla nnn ranger feh luckybackup timeshift virtualbox libreoffice bpytop celluloid gimp neofetch keepassxc qpdfview transmission zathura zenity yad zim sxiv i3lock-fancy xarchiver xcompmgr conky sxhkd variety mousepad

For use in installing and setting up dwm (st & slstatus):

sudo apt install make gcc libx11-dev libxft-dev libxinerama-dev xorg

Note
I keep all my suckless tools in ~/.local/bin and place that in my path via bashrc with the following:

# Add local 'pip' to PATH: (In your .bashrc, .zshrc etc)
export PATH="${PATH}:${HOME}/.local/bin/"
export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:$PATH

editing your config.h files, compiling suckless tools are beynd the scope of this brief tutorial.

Misc. Tools

calibre:

sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sudo sh /dev/stdin

I'll let folks know what I encounter... or when I really give up.

Pax vobiscum,

#8 2020-10-30 22:15:26

MiyoLinux

brocashelm wrote:

Sync problems sometimes happen. I recommend retrying a few more times. I usually succeed after the second or third attempt.

This has been my experience also. Strange thing is, it has only happened after a fresh installation. After that, I personally haven't experienced it again...but I'm special. LOL! tongue

#9 2020-10-30 22:22:03

MiyoLinux

manyroads wrote:

@MiyoLinux, I was the guy pestering you on Sourceforge.... smile

tongue big_smile

manyroads wrote:

So here is what I have done and am testing.  For the last few hours things have worked. Yay! 
As @Head_on_a_Stick will confirm, I do beat on my systems.  I'm also reasonably tenacious.  lol   Anyway here's what I have done:

Miyo (Devuan) dwm Install/ Build

Replace Network Connman and start MiyoLinux:   

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install firefox network-manager nm-tray network-manager-gnome
sudo apt remove connman cmst
sudo reboot

After First reboot (I install the stuff I want.  btw. I have also used deb files for various apps like skype, zoom, etc because I prefer to avoid appimages flatpaks, snaps.) :

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt autoclean && sudo apt autoremove
sudo apt install firefox thunderbird dunst rofi geany conky filezilla nnn ranger feh luckybackup timeshift virtualbox libreoffice bpytop celluloid gimp neofetch keepassxc qpdfview transmission zathura zenity yad zim sxiv i3lock-fancy xarchiver xcompmgr conky sxhkd variety mousepad

For use in installing and setting up dwm (st & slstatus):

sudo apt install make gcc libx11-dev libxft-dev libxinerama-dev xorg

Note
I keep all my suckless tools in ~/.local/bin and place that in my path via bashrc with the following:

# Add local 'pip' to PATH: (In your .bashrc, .zshrc etc)
export PATH="${PATH}:${HOME}/.local/bin/"
export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:$PATH

editing your config.h files, compiling suckless tools are beynd the scope of this brief tutorial.

Misc. Tools

calibre:

sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sudo sh /dev/stdin

I'll let folks know what I encounter... or when I really give up.

Hey...thanks! smile

It has been a long time since I've used DWM. I might give it a try soon. wink

#10 2020-10-31 00:22:41

manyroads
Website

@MiyoLinux... it went pear shaped on me for the third time.  No network connects through the browser.  This time I left the partition alive and just put MXLinux running dwm on a second partition.  I'm happy to work with you or @Head_on_a_Stick or others to see if we can find the problem.

Last edited by manyroads (2020-10-31 00:23:03)

Pax vobiscum,

#11 2020-10-31 00:46:08

MiyoLinux

manyroads wrote:

@MiyoLinux... it went pear shaped on me for the third time.  No network connects through the browser.  This time I left the partition alive and just put MXLinux running dwm on a second partition.  I'm happy to work with you or @Head_on_a_Stick or others to see if we can find the problem.

yikes

There is some hardware that doesn't like connman no matter what. I don't remember which ones.

If you boot a live version of Miyo-Rolling with an Ethernet cable, can you successfully run an apt update?

If so, after the apt update, do a...

apt install network-manager-gnome

...then do a...

apt remove cmst

After that, use the terminal or Run Command and enter...

nm-applet

It should appear in your system tray. Click on it to see if you can connect to your network. If everything works, then install the system. It will keep network-manager-gnome on the installed system and not have CMST.

#12 2020-10-31 10:36:52

anticapitalista

He removed connman and saw that network-manager is also faulty on his box.
So, connman did not bork his system, something else did.

#13 2020-10-31 12:55:36

MiyoLinux

anticapitalista wrote:

He removed connman and saw that network-manager is also faulty on his box.
So, connman did not bork his system, something else did.

Oh...I must have somehow missed that.

#14 2020-10-31 20:59:47

manyroads
Website

@anticapitalista is right... network-manager works on the exact same hardware (using MX with an antiX kernel: no problem).  Miyo/Devuan stops working on that exact same hardware when using both connman and network-manager. I get no errors (that I can find).

It seems weird.

Pax vobiscum,

#15 2020-10-31 21:42:29

anticapitalista

My guess is that it is down to MX having some systemd while Miyo/Devuan/antiX doesn't.
Or it is a kernel or firmware issue(?)
It would be interesting to find out how well connman works on MX (for manyroads).

Later: The only other thing I can think of is that Miyo/Devuan/antiX all use eudev rather than udev (MX Linux) and elogind.

Last edited by anticapitalista (2020-10-31 21:48:14)

#16 2020-11-01 00:15:43

manyroads
Website

@anticapitalista... I'll try using connman on MX to see what I am able to break.  wink

EDIT: fwiw when I log off from Miyo I am seeing an error message that refers to "connmand".  I'm not sure what it means or where the details may be hidden.

Last edited by manyroads (2020-11-01 00:32:52)

Pax vobiscum,

#17 2020-11-05 01:35:38

pymd

I absolutely love MIYO Linux Devuan version, I've been using it for a few weeks now and it works beautifully. It's a lovely light-weight system that allows me to do with it what I want. I so hope Dan continues with it, it's such an asset to the community (as is he) Kindest regards, And thanks to all in the Devuan community for all they are doing.

Regards, Adam (pymd)

Board footer