The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-21 20:57:21

nings

Freeze at startup probably caused by nvidia driver

Hello,

I have a strange issue at startup my console freeze no refresh of the display.
When I open tty2 and return back to tty1 console is refreshed and can log me.

When any command add more lines than available on the display all freeze same when I edit a file console freeze need at each time to go to tty2 and return to tty1 for have a refreshed screen.

I have already try nomodeset, modset 0,1 and another command with nvidia modset but no one change anything in the default grub file.
This same issue has been resolved previously by removing nvidia-persistence.

Someone have an idea ?
Already encounter this type of issue ?
Never view an issue like that sad
And it's not really cool a screen who freeze very often but in remote with ssh no issue at all and cuda work fine so driver should be loaded and working.

Devuan Beowulf and nvidia driver 450.66

Thank you

Last edited by nings (2020-10-21 20:59:24)

#2 2020-10-22 22:02:08

blackhole

Re: Freeze at startup probably caused by nvidia driver

No information at all about the hardware, no logs or configuration posted - hence no replies...

#3 2020-10-23 01:56:16

zapper

I installed devuan on one computer once, a while back, it refused to let me log in without logging me back out, different problem, but it may be due to the same sort of issue, this desktop computer needed propreitary firmware to run properly.  My point being,  avoid nvidia if possible... or any propreitary firmware... not even just a security issue, but also stability issue and a juice guzzler issue... meaning it drains battery fast. 

If you still insist on using it, the poster above me has a point, you need some more logs or information to give us for us to help you.  hmm

I know my inital reply isn't helpful if you insist on using the nvidia driver or if its required, but yeah, that's usually how I think.  So my bad... tongue

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#4 2020-10-23 07:45:15

blackhole

Unless one uses older hardware, intel graphics and/or rhe nouveau or vesa drivers you're pretty much stuck with proprietary firmware for display adapters . Even when using a completely FOSS solution, x86 as an architecture uses a lot of firmware, much of it already on the devices - and it's almost always proprietary.

#5 2020-10-23 12:05:14

nings

Hello,

What you need exactly ?
It's a Nvidia 2080 Super with 450.66 driver no issue before put this graphic card in the computer so not another hardware issue and this card work fine. This graphic card run and cuda too. I have not choice to use proprietary driver for enable cuda operation.
Not any issues on ssh console.

I have no graphical interface who start on this computer only console and freeze at this time exactly :
[   13.666570] ppdev: user-space parallel port driver
[   13.702724] nvidia-modeset: Loading NVIDIA Kernel Mode Setting Driver for UNIX platforms  450.66  Wed Aug 12 19:37:58 UTC 2020
[   13.758279] [drm] [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000800] Loading driver
[   13.821080] resource sanity check: requesting [mem 0x000c0000-0x000fffff], which spans more than PCI Bus 0000:00 [mem 0x000c0000-0x000dffff window]
[   13.821188] caller _nv000745rm+0x1af/0x200 [nvidia] mapping multiple BARs
[   14.346998] [drm] Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 2 (21.10.2013).
[   14.413248] [drm] Initialized nvidia-drm 0.0.0 20160202 for 0000:08:00.0 on minor 0
[   14.450778] nvidia-uvm: Loaded the UVM driver, major device number 241.

I view nvidia modset and try different settings like read on some forums but nothing work.
I not view any error or anything all work fine because when I change tty window all is there and refreshed. If I clear my screen each time before reach end of display line I can use without change tty smile

So someone probably have already an issue like that and may be an idea where to look or what to change.

Thank you smile

#6 2020-10-24 00:37:26

zapper

blackhole wrote:

Unless one uses older hardware, intel graphics and/or rhe nouveau or vesa drivers you're pretty much stuck with proprietary firmware for display adapters . Even when using a completely FOSS solution, x86 as an architecture uses a lot of firmware, much of it already on the devices - and it's almost always proprietary.

Yes, I had forgotten that... my bad...

I use a few old thinkpads at the moment...

third gen + second gen.  Both on the X type.

Although for the life of me, if something cannot be corebooted and have intel me disabled, I will not use it for my personal projects.

Also, I wont store anything sensitive or anything projects of lasting value unless I have a better setup than that still. Like something where you can completely remove the intel me from the hardware.

This all being said, I think nvidia, is harder to liberate then intel even. 

I guess my point is, avoid new hardware whenever possible if its x86ish whether its intel or amd.

Otherwise, security and stability issues will occur eventually.

Edit: I should probably stop replying here, this is way off topic... ps, I do have some writing hobbies in case you wonder what I try to hide.

Last edited by zapper (2020-10-24 00:38:29)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#7 2020-10-24 06:55:41

larsH

Hi

With Nvidia I have for several years just used the open nouveau drivers. And have had just a few problems. Off course with your card it requires a backported kernel. In the last year development have been more active than before.

Have a nice day
Lars H

#8 2020-10-24 11:29:03

nings

zapper wrote:

This all being said, I think nvidia, is harder to liberate then intel even. 
I guess my point is, avoid new hardware whenever possible if its x86ish whether its intel or amd.

You can it's a forum and we are here for discuss smile
I trust more AMD side than Intel for security part until now because if AMD continue to take so much market share from Intel this can change.
I think really than every company should trust and open their source code. That's can only help technology to evolve faster and remove all backdoor with most security issue. Finally it's more secure because more eyes for catch all issues than a small devs team.

Closed source world like Apple have created is really go to the end but my own opinion smile
Quantum computer are coming and probably hide real efficiency because used by army like most major advances. Security is only based on time and if time can be reduced security is gone. Open firmware/code can help to secure older devices and evolve faster than army research.

For graphic part I think AMD with Mantle help really by beating Microsoft DirectX and now Vulkan is almost everywhere compatible with all hardware under all OS. If more people open their eyes and come under linux all applications will be available and probably most of them open. I use a nvidia card because not have the choice their software support only Cuda so can't take an AMD card.

@larsH
You can't use Cuda with nouveau drivers or yes ? It's only for display no ?
I have done something wrong because not work and removing nvidia-presistence after show me login without freeze/issue. Not know what happen after for have again the same issue with this nvidia module. All seem solve that by adding a nomodeset or something like that in default/grub by try a lot of parameters and nothing work.

It's not so important so may be solved with next nvidia driver smile

A nice day to you too thank you

#9 2020-10-24 20:48:31

GlennW

Like Lars H said,

larsH wrote:

Hi

With Nvidia I have for several years just used the open nouveau drivers. And have had just a few problems. Off course with your card it requires a backported kernel. In the last year development have been more active than before.

Have a nice day
Lars H

With new hardware you want to be using the "backports" package repository for kernel 5.8, firmware and nvidia (try the nouveau driver first then upgrade for cuda).

regards Glenn

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#10 2020-10-25 09:24:59

nings

Yes my kernel is upgraded to 5.8 and use 450.66 who it's only available on beowulf backport without error.
I can try to remove all nvidia driver and try again with nouveau but without error cuda search a nvidia driver. Not sure now but I try to install cuda without nvidia in my first attempt smile

I try thank you for your help

Board footer