The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-07-31 12:51:17

bgstack15

Re: xfce4-alsa-plugin now available for Debian-based systems (0.3.0-2)

Says the guy who posts on here way more than I do, and I'm all-in on Devuan on the desktop! I don't use iwd (I'm happy with wicd until they drop it entirely which I know is coming) but I like dealing with packaging.

@jobbautista9, the way I fork a package from Debian is I go fetch the source from salsa. If it's not there, uh, I don't have a flow for that yet. But lightdm and freeipa are there so I'm good! Then you would make a new branch named devuan/suites-unstable off of debian/master and make your changes.

This space intentionally left blank.

#27 2020-07-31 15:04:39

fsmithred
Administrator

I think this is the upstream source. They might be more receptive to suggestions:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/network/ … git/about/

(And there's no guarantee that the changes won't get removed along the way.)

#28 2020-08-01 03:29:57

jobbautista9
Website

bgstack15 wrote:

Says the guy who posts on here way more than I do, and I'm all-in on Devuan on the desktop! I don't use iwd (I'm happy with wicd until they drop it entirely which I know is coming) but I like dealing with packaging.

@jobbautista9, the way I fork a package from Debian is I go fetch the source from salsa. If it's not there, uh, I don't have a flow for that yet. But lightdm and freeipa are there so I'm good! Then you would make a new branch named devuan/suites-unstable off of debian/master and make your changes.

Ok, I cloned the salsa git repo of iwd to https://git.devuan.org/jobbautista9/iwd and made my changes to my devuan/suites-unstable branch. I haven't updated the debian/changelog yet, for reasons I will explain below.

fsmithred wrote:

I think this is the upstream source. They might be more receptive to suggestions:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/network/ … git/about/

(And there's no guarantee that the changes won't get removed along the way.)

I was about to ask them on IRC, but then I got an email from the Debian maintainer of iwd. Turns out he created a patch which uses D-Bus activation (which I have no idea about), and sent it to the iwd devs and CC'd me. Here's the patch in question:

Makefile.am                      | 11 ++++++-----
 src/net.connman.iwd.service      |  5 -----
 src/net.connman.iwd.service.in   |  5 +++++
 wired/net.connman.ead.service    |  5 -----
 wired/net.connman.ead.service.in |  5 +++++
 5 files changed, 16 insertions(+), 15 deletions(-)
 delete mode 100644 src/net.connman.iwd.service
 create mode 100644 src/net.connman.iwd.service.in
 delete mode 100644 wired/net.connman.ead.service
 create mode 100644 wired/net.connman.ead.service.in

diff --git a/Makefile.am b/Makefile.am
index 57c694d..006d1d1 100644
--- a/Makefile.am
+++ b/Makefile.am
@@ -250,7 +250,7 @@ dist_dbus_data_DATA += src/iwd-dbus.conf
 endif

if SYSTEMD_SERVICE
-src_iwd_DEPENDENCIES += src/iwd.service
+src_iwd_DEPENDENCIES += src/iwd.service src/net.connman.iwd.service

systemd_unit_DATA += src/iwd.service
 dbus_bus_DATA += src/net.connman.iwd.service
@@ -328,7 +328,7 @@ dist_dbus_data_DATA += wired/ead-dbus.conf
 endif

if SYSTEMD_SERVICE
-wired_ead_DEPENDENCIES += wired/ead.service
+wired_ead_DEPENDENCIES += wired/ead.service wired/net.connman.ead.service

systemd_unit_DATA += wired/ead.service
 dbus_bus_DATA += wired/net.connman.ead.service
@@ -524,8 +524,8 @@ unit_test_p2p_LDADD = $(ell_ldadd)

TESTS = $(unit_tests)

-EXTRA_DIST = src/genbuiltin src/iwd.service.in src/net.connman.iwd.service \
-			wired/ead.service.in wired/net.connman.ead.service \
+EXTRA_DIST = src/genbuiltin src/iwd.service.in src/net.connman.iwd.service.in \
+			wired/ead.service.in wired/net.connman.ead.service.in \
 			src/80-iwd.link src/pkcs8.conf unit/gencerts.cnf \
 			$(manual_pages) $(patsubst %.1,%.rst, \
 					$(patsubst %.5,%.rst, \
@@ -539,7 +539,8 @@ if MAINTAINER_MODE
 AM_CFLAGS += -DHAVE_PKCS8_SUPPORT
 endif

-CLEANFILES = src/iwd.service wired/ead.service
+CLEANFILES = src/iwd.service wired/ead.service \
+	     src/net.connman.iwd.service wired/net.connman.ead.service

DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS = --disable-dbus-policy --disable-systemd-service \
 				--enable-sim-hardcoded \
diff --git a/src/net.connman.iwd.service b/src/net.connman.iwd.service
deleted file mode 100644
index d8ece4c..0000000
--- a/src/net.connman.iwd.service
+++ /dev/null
@@ -1,5 +0,0 @@
-[D-BUS Service]
-Name=net.connman.iwd
-Exec=/bin/false
-User=root
-SystemdService=iwd.service
diff --git a/src/net.connman.iwd.service.in b/src/net.connman.iwd.service.in
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..a7cb7ed
--- /dev/null
+++ b/src/net.connman.iwd.service.in
@@ -0,0 +1,5 @@
+[D-BUS Service]
+Name=net.connman.iwd
+Exec=@libexecdir@/iwd
+User=root
+SystemdService=iwd.service
diff --git a/wired/net.connman.ead.service b/wired/net.connman.ead.service
deleted file mode 100644
index 24af96b..0000000
--- a/wired/net.connman.ead.service
+++ /dev/null
@@ -1,5 +0,0 @@
-[D-BUS Service]
-Name=net.connman.ead
-Exec=/bin/false
-User=root
-SystemdService=ead.service
diff --git a/wired/net.connman.ead.service.in b/wired/net.connman.ead.service.in
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..63e5011
--- /dev/null
+++ b/wired/net.connman.ead.service.in
@@ -0,0 +1,5 @@
+[D-BUS Service]
+Name=net.connman.ead
+Exec=@libexecdir@/ead
+User=root
+SystemdService=ead.service

It should work with non-systemd inits, according to Andreas. The devs are reluctant to implement the patch, and wants an elaboration of why they should implement it if other distros can do it on their own. It's now up to me now on how to elaborate the reason why non-systemd inits should be supported by upstream...

So I'm going to postpone forking first and see if I could convince them to support sysvinit. I can CC you guys to the email conversation if you want.

EDIT: Clarifying on whether the patch really works or not

Last edited by jobbautista9 (2020-08-04 05:08:21)

Former maintainer of the iwd package. See #639! smile

You can also find me on the Pale Moon forums. I develop XUL add-ons for Pale Moon.
My PGP public key

#29 2020-08-03 01:14:28

bgstack15

They write a tool, iwd. They do not write systemd. If the goal is to provide a robust tool that meets the needs of as many people as possible (you will want to find any mission statements they have, or design documents about their goals first, that match this), then not focusing solely on systemd is acceptable and even desirable. Systemd is a fine thing to support, but not everyone uses it. The Arch wiki says the project doesn't like to depend on external libraries (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Iwd). See if that's backed up by the project's own documentation.

Keeping us informed here would be fine! I don't have any actual contributions to give to the original conversation but I'm interested in seeing other-than-systemd supported in general.

This space intentionally left blank.

#30 2020-08-09 04:47:33

jobbautista9
Website

I am happy to announce that iwd is now forked for Devuan! You can see the package information at pkginfo.devuan.org. I would like to thank Mark Hindley for guiding me on this.

And because we have to fork iwd to make it work for Devuan, it unfortunately means that both the upstream and Debian maintainer are not interested in supporting sysvinit. I hope they change their mind, not only because I don't want to maintain this fork forever, but also because this is a bad path for GNU/Linux.

Anyway, since this thread was supposed to be about my xfce4-alsa-plugin, I decided to package it for Debian. I'm currently finding a sponsor at mentors.debian.net. Once it gets accepted to the main archive, I will ask the xfce4 metapackage maintainers to consider not depending on xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin, but on xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin | xfce4-alsa-plugin, so that Xfce users have a choice between PA and Alsa on their panel. That's the main goal I had on mind when packaging xfce4-alsa-plugin.

Former maintainer of the iwd package. See #639! smile

You can also find me on the Pale Moon forums. I develop XUL add-ons for Pale Moon.
My PGP public key

#31 2020-08-09 08:21:09

brocashelm

jobbautista9 wrote:

I am happy to announce that iwd is now forked for Devuan! You can see the package information at pkginfo.devuan.org. I would like to thank Mark Hindley for guiding me on this.

And because we have to fork iwd to make it work for Devuan, it unfortunately means that both the upstream and Debian maintainer are not interested in supporting sysvinit. I hope they change their mind, not only because I don't want to maintain this fork forever, but also because this is a bad path for GNU/Linux.

Anyway, since this thread was supposed to be about my xfce4-alsa-plugin, I decided to package it for Debian. I'm currently finding a sponsor at mentors.debian.net. Once it gets accepted to the main archive, I will ask the xfce4 metapackage maintainers to consider not depending on xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin, but on xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin | xfce4-alsa-plugin, so that Xfce users have a choice between PA and Alsa on their panel. That's the main goal I had on mind when packaging xfce4-alsa-plugin.

That's good news, indeed. I also use that panel plugin, which I had to compile myself and copy the two files (both the function and the launcher) across my machines. I look forward to seeing it become a binary package, which is just not fair to those who like Xfce, but don't want to use PulseAudio. ALSA has proven itself time after time to be a simple, reliable sound server. Works just fine for people working with audio recordings.

Board footer