The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-15 17:44:24

john2009w

[SOLVED] How do I install Kodi on Devuan?

I see Kodi is not available on Devuan repos.

I found some instructions but it doesn't work for Devuan. For a start it says to add this to `/etc/apt/sources.list`:

deb http://http.debian.net/debian jessie-backports main

But it doesn't work, since there is no `jessie-backports` dir on http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/. I was going to try bullseye, then got nervous about mixing repos. Can I get only Kodi from debian repos? Is there any special config to do this?

I'm on Chimaera/testing.

Last edited by john2009w (2020-07-16 15:05:22)

#2 2020-07-15 19:07:53

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [SOLVED] How do I install Kodi on Devuan?

john2009w wrote:

I see Kodi is not available on Devuan repos.

It was removed from Debian testing because that version depended on Python2 (which is now EOL):

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … =%23936805

Wait for v19, that will depend on Python3 instead and should be re-introduced. Hopefully before the bullseye freeze...

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2020-07-15 19:08:17

fsmithred
Administrator

Jessie has reached end of life. Let her go.

If you're running chimaera, then you are already pulling from bullseye. If you add a bullseye line to sources.list you will be able to bypass the filter that keeps you from installing banned packages and you can screw up your system that way. Don't do it.

There's no kodi in chimaera because there's no kodi in bullseye. The version of kodi in ceres (sid) should migrate into chimaera after a couple weeks, I think. That's the normal procedure. If it doesn't, then it means there's a problem either with the package or the maintainer.

You can pull the packages you need from ceres and see if it works, or you can wait until it shows up in chimaera.

Edit: Or maybe not. (I just read the bug report.)

#4 2020-07-16 15:04:27

john2009w

No problem, I used Guix to install Kodi:

cd /tmp
wget https://sv.gnu.org/people/viewgpg.php?user_id=15145 -O gpgkey
gpg --import gpgkey
wget https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/plain/etc/guix-install.sh
chmod +x guix-install.sh
sudo ./guix-install.sh
# when asked "Permit downloading pre-built package binaries", entered "yes"

echo 'export PATH=~/.guix-profile/bin:$PATH'>> ~/.bashrc

# To run the guix daemon on non-systemd environment like in Devuan:
sudo setsid /root/.config/guix/current/bin/guix-daemon --build-users-group=guixbuild &

guix install kodi

And since Python 2 is still there on repo, I can probably build form source too.

Guix pulls down a lot of dependencies (and did I mention it's painfully slow?) So advanced users may want to build it from source to keep things light. But otherwise Guix can help to get the latest version of packages without the hassle of configuring and building or upgrading. And it can work on top of any Linux distro, not only Devuan. I kind of like the idea.

#5 2020-07-16 19:53:27

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

That's an interesting approach, does Guix also install the packages that are needed for hardware video acceleration?

Kodi is also available as a Flatpak: https://flathub.org/apps/details/tv.kodi.Kodi

#6 2020-07-17 16:45:09

john2009w

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

That's an interesting approach, does Guix also install the packages that are needed for hardware video acceleration?

Guix pulled down a version of mesa from its repository when I installed Kodi. So I guess yes.

You can also check out their available package list. It's not bad. Lots of packages to install.

#7 2020-07-17 21:19:23

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Yes, Guix is very nice. All the cool kids use Nix but that isn't free (as in speech). There's also pkgsrc.

#8 2020-07-17 21:54:34

john2009w

Didn't know about Nix. Seems similar to Guix:

Nix stores packages in the Nix store, usually the directory /nix/store ... You can have multiple versions or variants of a package installed at the same time. This is especially important when different applications have dependencies on different versions of the same package — it prevents the “DLL hell”.

I want packages like IceCat also. Nix doesn't have that so it wouldn't be a thing for me. But good to know it exists.

#9 2020-07-17 22:28:07

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

john2009w wrote:

Didn't know about Nix. Seems similar to Guix

Guix is a fork of Nix.

#10 2020-07-17 23:25:40

bgstack15

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Yes, Guix is very nice. All the cool kids use Nix but that isn't free (as in speech). There's also pkgsrc.

For my edification, please elaborate! I did a brief Internet search for "nix not free software" but of course the results are polluted with items unrelated to your statement. I would like to understand Nix (and maybe NixOS) better from your side. And yeah, I do know a hipster at work who uses Nix and loves it...

This space intentionally left blank.

#11 2020-07-17 23:38:22

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

bgstack15 wrote:

please elaborate

Well you won't find steam in Guix smile

But really I don't know much about either, I've dabbled with Nix briefly but I haven't tried Guix at all. Sorry.

#12 2020-07-18 23:48:43

john2009w

bgstack15 wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

For my edification, please elaborate! I did a brief Internet search for "nix not free software" but of course the results are polluted with items unrelated to your statement. I would like to understand Nix (and maybe NixOS) better from your side. And yeah, I do know a hipster at work who uses Nix and loves it...

Guix is from GNU. So it values the 4 essential freedoms of the Free Software Movement/FSF. There are many projects that are open source but not Free software because it does not completely have those 4 freedoms.

Linux is open source but not Free software

Open source ≠ Free Software.

Linux is open source but not Free software - because it has some closed source binary blobs for some drivers - you can't change binary code and redistribute changed copies of it so it disqualifies as being Free. So to make it fully Free software, some people started Linux-Libre which is Free software. Linux libre is basically Linux but has all those binary blobs removed. I use it too with my Devuan and I love it. But I have setup my hardware to support linux libre, otherwise everything may not work as expected (i.e. I changed or removed hardware that needs binary blobs to function).

Guix doesn't have semi-Free software. It only has pure, libre software. Hence it's different. There are many other distros that are 100% libre and have Linux Libre as default kernel and their repos are free from semi-Free software.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Guix is a fork of Nix.

I see. That explains a lot.

Last edited by john2009w (2020-07-18 23:50:13)

Board footer