The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-02 04:33:26

spartrekus

Software Alternative to "xbindkeys" with Alt+Tab Support? (Wayland)

Hello,

So or later, X11 will disappear, so anyhow, to keep the key shortcuts whatever fancy, shinning, heavy on memory, coming Wayland Window Manager, we can make use of xbindkeys. Hopefully this one will remain and will still be compatible.

In any case, xbindkeys gets abandoned. It is of course possible. Which alternative can be use ?

Thank you

#2 2017-06-02 13:00:25

GNUser

Re: Software Alternative to "xbindkeys" with Alt+Tab Support? (Wayland)

Xbindkeys is the most important application on my system--everything I do involves keyboard shortcuts, and using xbindkeys to store the keybindings in a text file is vastly superior to most DE's clunky GUI approach.

Alas, I've looked into this question and could not find an xbindkeys equivalent for Wayland. Honestly, I think the shiny-new-toy makers working on Wayland don't give a hoot about graybeards whose workflow revolves around "obsolete" physical keyboards.

My prediction is that first Wayland will see widespread adoption, then people like us will develop an xbindkeys replacement.

Last edited by GNUser (2017-06-02 13:48:13)

#3 2017-06-02 20:11:01

spartrekus

GNUser wrote:

My prediction is that first Wayland will see widespread adoption, then people like us will develop an xbindkeys replacement.

So you wait that people compile for you? So, if they simply do not get interests about xbindkeys, and that it can be abandoned. What do you do then? Maybe installing KDE or Gnome on a new Wayland (with some SystemD wink ) ?

Besides, the code of xbindkeys is not that easy to compile. There should be some smallest possible reduction of its code.

#4 2017-06-02 23:28:13

GNUser

I'm not too worried. We have a critical mass of smart, freedom-loving folk in the GNU/Linux community who value traditional workflows (e.g., Devuan developers), so we'll figure something out when we get there. I myself will roll up my sleeves and figure it out if need be. Sorry I can't be more helpful at this point--I only looked into this cursorily.

I have never actually used Wayland yet. Truth is I have absolutely no complaints regarding X11, so will put off Wayland for as long as I possibly can (forever if possible).

Last edited by GNUser (2017-06-02 23:30:20)

#5 2017-06-03 04:54:42

spartrekus

GNUser wrote:

I'm not too worried. We have a critical mass of smart, freedom-loving folk in the GNU/Linux community who value traditional workflows (e.g., Devuan developers), so we'll figure something out when we get there. I myself will roll up my sleeves and figure it out if need be. Sorry I can't be more helpful at this point--I only looked into this cursorily.

I have never actually used Wayland yet. Truth is I have absolutely no complaints regarding X11, so will put off Wayland for as long as I possibly can (forever if possible).

I see. Good to hear helpful & smart developers will help. Sounds good. X11 is great really, could be better, but it works.
Why to always want to change something that works? - Human nature wink

#6 2017-06-03 06:03:10

zephyr
Website

spartrekus wrote:

X11 is great really, could be better, but it works.
Why to always want to change something that works?

With you all the way on X11, old saying "don't fix what isn't broken"!

cheers

zephyr

Last edited by zephyr (2017-06-03 06:12:08)

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#7 2017-06-04 14:14:55

spartrekus

zephyr wrote:

spartrekus wrote:

X11 is great really, could be better, but it works.
Why to always want to change something that works?

With you all the way on X11, old saying "don't fix what isn't broken"!

cheers

zephyr

so far I try to get mostly using libx11-dev to be readily cross-platform and to avoid using developing on SDL if possible.
X11 lib dev is everywhere. SDL is likely not working all the time. 1.2 sdl is ok, but if you want to use fonts, that'll be fun and likely not always working !

xbindkeys could be make lighter and more portable .

#8 2017-06-05 06:08:51

spartrekus

what about BBKEYS ?

However BBKEYS is NOT into the repositories any more. apt-cache search pkgnames bb gives something though.

Board footer