The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-01 23:47:53

seeker

Rust install?

I was looking at the Rust language book and it recommends using installing the tools using a command line tool, versus a package. Is installing Rust through the packages going to provide the same tools? I have never used this before, so I don't know which would be the preferred method.

#2 2019-08-13 03:32:29

andy5995
Website

Re: Rust install?

If you're talking about installing rust using the method mentioned at the top of this page, my guess is that you should be pretty safe to do so. I have used that method for installing rust on Debian 9 and 10 (I have not done so on Devuan yet). The rust installer installation is separate from the regular distro package information, so there isn't any conflict, if I'm correct.

Where you're more likely to run into conflict is if you try to install Devuan rust packages after you've already installed rust using its own installer, or vice versa.

When I installed rust, it put most of the binaries and data files in ~/.cargo, whereas typically when you install packages from a distro repo, they'd go into /usr...

You may want to wait for more feedback though first before deciding, I'm not an "expert." wink Good luck, seeker.

#3 2019-08-13 11:53:25

bgstack15

I compile Waterfox on Devuan, which requires rust. I pull in packages rustc and cargo (and clang-6.0). However, I do it all through automation and never need to interact with the command line.

This space intentionally left blank.

#4 2019-08-15 20:13:27

climbingturtle

I've installed rust through their curl-method found at their website, which has worked out very well. Though I'm still educating myself in the language and hasn't done much more than the tutorials in rust book..

I did a quick search for an explanation for why rust chooses to install this way rather than through package-managers. I couldn't find any good answers, but I do guess this is because all crates and such becomes managed centralized, so you will not end up with a lot of packages in different distros that is different versions of crates.

It would be very nice to get a definitive answer for this, if anyone here has this knowledge! smile

#5 2019-08-15 20:39:14

andy5995
Website

climbingturtle wrote:

I did a quick search for an explanation for why rust chooses to install this way rather than through package-managers. I couldn't find any good answers, but I do guess this is because all crates and such becomes managed centralized, so you will not end up with a lot of packages in different distros that is different versions of crates.

It would be very nice to get a definitive answer for this, if anyone here has this knowledge! smile

I couldn't say for sure, but I assumed it was so users could stay more up-to-date with stable releases, and partly for the reason you mentioned.

Last edited by andy5995 (2019-08-15 20:39:30)

Board footer