The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-05-08 08:22:15

xinomilo
Unknown

Re: Devuan 2.0 ASCII Stable

also running latest linux-libre with beowulf/ceres, "libre" feels good smile
from time to time i switch back to stock devuan/debian kernel.
trinity is available in a devuan fork distro (exe gnu/linux). tried trinity from their repos and it run ok, with a few glitches.

#27 2019-05-08 13:05:36

yeti

alupoj wrote:

Why not to add a Libre (deblobed) kernel directly to Devuan distro? It would make Devuan even more free than it already is and may be even more free than Debian 5 Lenny was.

I want to keep the freedom to use my old hardware which may need some blobs.
The environment wants to keep the freedom that not every notebook needing some blob is turned into useless toxic trash because extremists declare them as inacceptable.

Let's keep old hardware busy by allowing blobs and let's look at the blob aspect when buying new stuff.

<πš‹πš˜πšπš’ πš˜πš—πš•πš˜πšŠπš='πšπš˜πšŒπšžπš–πšŽπš—πš.πš‹πš˜πšπš’.πš’πš—πš—πšŽπš›π™·πšƒπ™Όπ™»="π™³πš’πšœπšŠπš‹πš•πšŽ π™Ήπš‚!";'>
π”“π”©π”’π”žπ”°π”’ π”©π”’π”žπ”³π”’ 𝔢𝔬𝔲𝔯 π”£π”žπ”²π”©π”±π”° 𝔦𝔫 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔰𝔒𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 π”Ÿπ”’π”©π”¬π”΄ π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔑𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔀𝔒𝔱 𝔱𝔬 π”²π”«π”°π”²π”Ÿπ”°π” π”―π”¦π”Ÿπ”’!

#28 2019-05-08 17:59:37

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

alupoj wrote:

Why not to add a Libre (deblobed) kernel directly to Devuan distro?

The Devuan kernel is already de-blobbed, that's why they have separate firmware packages.

Brianna Ghey β€” Rest In Power

#29 2019-05-09 07:12:53

alupoj

Does not Linux kernel contain some obfuscated code except firmware BLOBs?

Is obfuscated code still present in Devuan kernel?

#30 2019-05-09 14:26:31

Mr.Bean

Hi there,

Sorry for the silly question, but where is the netinst version ? Cant't find it...

#31 2019-05-09 14:36:19

PedroReina
Website

#32 2019-05-09 15:31:02

Mr.Bean

Ah thank you...

Got it! It was under the "installer-iso" directory...

#33 2019-05-09 19:43:21

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

alupoj wrote:

Does not Linux kernel contain some obfuscated code except firmware BLOBs?

No, not that I'm aware of.

I trust Debian to remove any non-free code from the kernel and Devuan draw their kernel from them.

Please open a new thread if you want to continue this discussion, it is off-topic here.

#34 2019-05-10 14:32:30

crankypuss

alupoj wrote:

Thank you very much for returning us the good old Debian as it was in its versions till 5 (Lenny) before it was gradually occupied by systemD corps. I do not treat debian.org true Debian anymore, real free Debian is here at devuan.org now.

Why not to add a Libre (deblobed) kernel directly to Devuan distro? It would make Devuan even more free than it already is and may be even more free than Debian 5 Lenny was.

The same as:
deb mirror://linux-libre.fsfla.org/pub/linux-libre/freesh/mirrors.txt

I run this kernel with Ascii and it is awesome!

After this is done it would be easier for distros without non-free components like EterTICs and Dyne:bolic to maintain them.

Trinity desktop environment would be welcome very much too.

Actually I miss these two things in your repository: Libre kernel & Trinity DE. Like it could be in Exe & EterTICs simultaneously.

Devuan might also be the first to stop screwing around with all this internet-downloading during the
install process and do it the easy way.  As someone with a truly crappy internet connectivity, let me say that installing a "netinst" is going to take longer than downloading an "iso" install, downloading works better here in the sticks over a Verizon cellphone than it did 5 or 10 years ago.  And you could set up an image of the latest stable version that will run on damn near anything and just blast over the needed files.  I've been cloning systems that way for years, as long as the drivers are all there in the right directories, nobody knows the difference.  Probably need to make a few "minor" alterations in the setup dialog, since it would become a "super-customization" dialog launched on an already-running new devuan install.

#35 2019-05-13 09:02:35

ToxicExMachina

crankypuss wrote:

Devuan might also be the first to stop screwing around with all this internet-downloading during the
install process and do it the easy way. As someone with a truly crappy internet connectivity, let me say that installing a "netinst" is going to take longer than downloading an "iso" install, downloading works better here in the sticks over a Verizon cellphone than it did 5 or 10 years ago.  And you could set up an image of the latest stable version that will run on damn near anything and just blast over the needed files.  I've been cloning systems that way for years, as long as the drivers are all there in the right directories, nobody knows the difference.  Probably need to make a few "minor" alterations in the setup dialog, since it would become a "super-customization" dialog launched on an already-running new devuan install.

Custom Devuan based distro may be optimal solution. Another solution is LUG. If you have broadband internet access sometimes it's also possible to make local mirror of repository (see apt-mirror). You'l need about 150-170Gb for x86 and x86_64 repos.

#36 2019-05-13 14:44:03

Dutch_Master

Well, that's the problem: not everyone has fast broadband access to the web at the place (s)he wants to run Devuan. So, for my work I do the following: at a location with fast broadband.access (at home) I create/update a local mirror, then copy said mirror to an external HDD, take this HDD to my place of work, where I don't have access at all, then copy the mirror from the HDD to the local mirror on the server I set up for this purpose. I can assure you rsync is a godsend time-saver on copying files over wink  This setup allows me to install Mate offline on refurbished PC's, w/o resorting to switching disks all the time. I simply install a basic system, then modify the sources.list file to use the local offline mirror exclusively and install from there.

#37 2019-05-21 05:20:19

bills2002

Request for DVD set of Devuan repository.

https://www.shoplinuxonline.com has 14 DVD disk set of Debian Stretch for $11.99.  The 12 DVD set of source code is $9.99.
I periodically buy this in AMD64 as well as i386 (I like some old software).  This site routinely updates the set to each minor version and currently is shipping 9.9.

I would buy Devuan ASCII on DVD for AMD64, i386, and ARM (orangepi/raspi user).   I also would contribute an equal amount of money to the project with each purchase.

I live in the free country of America where living only 20 miles from the Microsoft headquarters I pay $140/month for 2 to 5mb/s with a 40gb data cap.  Cellular is amazing.  5G users will be too stupid to realize that the data cap was only to get you to spend more money.  Aren't you happy to live where you live? (Sorry, couldn't help whining.)

Even without the datacap issue, 14 DVD's amounts to 65gb.  I sacrifice that on my laptop, dd to iso, as well as setup a repo for my home computers.  Loopback mount all the isos, reconfigure sources.list, and away you go.  Being on any computer and being able to apt-get any software without internet access is great.  Need something?  It's there.  Installs scream off an SSD.

Also, I checked the DVD sales sites and none of them had Devuan.  For simple advertising purposes we should get it on all of those sites.

Bill

#38 2019-07-10 08:57:49

Giorgos

Now that the new Debian stable version is out, any thoughts when Beowulf will be released?
I couldn't find any roadmap or something.

#39 2019-07-10 12:43:13

Panopticon

@ Giorgos, From memory and by all means not official, i remember reading another thread the devuan release last time from jessie to stretch/ascii was around 1 year, this time around might be something like 6 months. Cant find the thread just now, but pretty much will be ready when it is ready kind of ethos perhaps. Lot of work involved where Devuan doesnt have nearly as many people contributing to the project that Debian does.

Last edited by Panopticon (2019-07-10 12:45:10)

#40 2019-07-10 18:00:06

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Giorgos wrote:

any thoughts when Beowulf will be released?

When it's ready neutral

#41 2019-07-11 14:59:35

Giorgos

THANKS Pan!  wink

Panopticon wrote:

Devuan doesnt have nearly as many people contributing to the project that Debian does.

BTW, neither Debian has the plenty of developers who someone can remember from the past.
In the after-systemd era, many developers left the boat, while others remained inactive just waiting for the dust to settle.
I was reading a developer's blog who (at my astonishing) maintains >500 packages.

I have the utmost respect for such great efforts, but seriously, who thinks that managing more than half a million projects, is efficient enough?

I wanted just to clarify it, thus my comment.
On the other hand, being a person that left Debian (that I was following from it's very first versions) after the "systemd incident", slumming the door behind me, don't make me the best person to judge, so just my personal opinion!  cool

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Giorgos wrote:

any thoughts when Beowulf will be released?

When it's ready neutral

Although I don't generally disagree with it, please keep in mind that the after-systemd era Debian, is nowhere nearly stable as it used to be, due to a number of reasons.
In the long run, remaining at the old-stable for a long period, may be an unpleasant experience.

I understand and I really like the perfectionism of Devuan developers, but maybe a Debian-stable based version (even with some small underlying bugs), is a better idea than staying in old-stable for a long period. At least for desktops. Server distributions...that's another story.

And yes, I've lost my faith to Debian maintainers (and to their ability to maintain efficiently the old-stable), long ago.

Having said that...maybe a roadmap (even just for informational reasons) should be great!  cool

Last edited by Giorgos (2019-07-11 16:15:49)

#42 2019-07-11 15:33:52

Panopticon

^ similar thoughts go to programmers who think maintaining 1 million lines of code is efficient i guess wink

#43 2019-07-11 15:59:17

Giorgos

Panopticon wrote:

^ similar thoughts go to programmers who think maintaining 1 million lines of code is efficient i guess wink

+1  big_smile

Board footer