The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-13 12:09:21

rolfie

[Solved] Stuck with Beowulf netinstall

After successfully installing native Beowulf in a VM, I thought I might give Beowulf a try on my secondary PC. Now I am facing some problems: after reboot I end up in the grub shell. When I enter boot grub tells me the kernel is not loaded.

Boundary conditions: EFI mode, amd64, installation from USB stick, system encrypted. The VM had no EFI, was installed from the iso directly, no encryption.

Tried to fix with the rescue mode: reinstalled grub, went into shell with the encrypted root, update-grub from there, update-initramfs from there, no change. Also burned the iso on a CD and tried again, no help. Isn't the shell offered a fully working chroot environment?

I am no sure if there is an issue with the netinstall iso, or if my detours have contributed (initially I had some other drives and an USB card reader connected, so the SSD for Beowulf was sdi).

Is there a way to fix the installation?

Thanks, Rolf

Last edited by rolfie (2019-02-14 21:01:50)

#2 2019-02-13 12:42:25

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Stuck with Beowulf netinstall

Either boot from grub command line or go into chroot and remove grub-efi-amd64-signed. Then run grub-install and update-grub.

#3 2019-02-13 16:23:31

rolfie

Thanks for the feedback, still no step further. I can't get along with the grub command line. I have looked at some stuff from Ubuntuusers, that was of limited use. I learned how to navigate in the uefi shell, but grub is sealed for me.

Booted my favorite life system Knoppix, and could not find any grub-efi-amd64-signed file wherever. grub-install in efi mode was noit possible since Knoppix does not boot in efi mode. Maybe I have to download an ASCII or Stretch life system.

Thanks, Rolf

Note: tried in a VBox: no encryption, efi with sysvinit and open-rc, both end in the grub command line. The efi installer is broken.

Last edited by rolfie (2019-02-13 17:15:13)

#4 2019-02-13 20:00:02

fsmithred
Administrator

Go into rescue mode and get a shell in the installed system. Run dpkg -l | grep grub and if a package named grub-efi-amd64-signed is installed, remove it.

If that's not possible, try grub-install --bootloader-id=debian and see if that fixes it.

Note: I had the same problem with an encrypted install of beowulf, and I was able to fix it with either of the methods I described. If neither of these can help, post the contents of /etc/fstab, /etc/crypttab and /boot/grub/grub.cfg, and the output of the following comands:

fdisk -l
df -h
blkid

#5 2019-02-13 21:28:10

rolfie

Thank you, that description contains the amount of detail I needed. The grub-efi-amd64-signed really was installed, I must have overlooked that fact in my previous searches.

Then I did grub-install --bootloader-id=debian followed by an update-grub.

Now I have got a non-working devuan efi entry, and a working debian efi entry. In any case, now I am logged in as root on my secondary PC.

I think I spend a grub-install --bootloader-id=devuan later.

Thank you for your help, Rolf

#6 2019-02-13 22:40:29

fsmithred
Administrator

You did both fixes and only needed to do one. With the *-signed package removed, you can just run grub-install and it will make (re-make) the devuan entry and set it be the first bootloader. (It should do that, anyway. Not all uefi systems act the same.)

#7 2019-02-14 21:01:25

rolfie

Tested your proposal on my faulty VBox Beowulf on efi. Works, removing  grub-efi-amd64-signed followed by a  grub-install does the job.

Maybe this post will help others.

Have a nice evening, thank you again, Rolf

BTW: my secondary PC now is on Beowulf. Some questions remain for other threads.

Last edited by rolfie (2019-02-14 21:02:41)

Board footer