The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-13 13:47:10

sgage

Need a wireless dongle recommendation

I recently had fiber optic internet run to my house, except the router is at the opposite end of the house. My newer desktop computer has wireless built-in, and it works fine, but my older desktop, which I'd still like to use, does not. I'd rather not run 100' of cat 5 through the house, so I'd like to get a wireless dongle for it. However, there are many, many brands and models out there. Can someone recommend a relatively cheap model that is known to work easily with Devuan?

#2 2018-11-13 15:55:21

GNUser

Re: Need a wireless dongle recommendation

All wireless dongles from ThinkPenguin and Technoethical would work out of the box with Devuan because they run on libre firmware, which is included by default in any Debian/Devuan linux kernel. Both companies are great. The dongles are listed on each company's website as well as on the Free Software Foundation's "Respects Your Freedom" page (http://fsf.org/ryf). There are tiny ultra-portable dongles (less expensive) as well as bigger ones with bigger antennas for increased range (more expensive).

All things being equal, go with whichever company is closer to you for shorter transit/faster delivery. ThinkPenguin is in the United States (New Hampshire) and Technoethical is in Europe (Romania).

Last edited by GNUser (2018-11-13 16:00:34)

#3 2018-11-13 16:29:16

sgage

GNUser wrote:

All wireless dongles from ThinkPenguin and Technoethical would work out of the box with Devuan because they run on libre firmware, which is included by default in any Debian/Devuan linux kernel. Both companies are great. The dongles are listed on each company's website as well as on the Free Software Foundation's "Respects Your Freedom" page (http://fsf.org/ryf). There are tiny ultra-portable dongles (less expensive) as well as bigger ones with bigger antennas for increased range (more expensive).

All things being equal, go with whichever company is closer to you for shorter transit/faster delivery. ThinkPenguin is in the United States (New Hampshire) and Technoethical is in Europe (Romania).

Thanks for the pointers... I actually live in New Hampshire, so I guess I'll have a look at ThinkPenguin...

#4 2018-11-15 18:51:10

kuleszdl

You can also buy hardware-wise the same dongles from elsewhere, however, since these guys spent a lot of effort in liberating the ath9k drivers it seems fair to buy from them.

Board footer