The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-16 11:08:14

spartrekus

How to install KDE using apt-get ?

Hello,

I would like to install KDE without too many packages. There is apt-get install kde-full.
Which installation procedure will help to install kde (just minimal packages)?

Looking forward to hearing you.
Best regards

#2 2018-06-16 12:13:38

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: How to install KDE using apt-get ?

There are several metapackages for installing kde. Some pull in more packages than others. To see what you would get with each, run apt-cache depends kde-full and do the same for
  kde-plasma-desktop
  plasma-desktop
  kde-standard
  task-kde-desktop
  kde-baseapps

#3 2018-06-16 12:48:24

MiyoLinux

For a very basic Plasma desktop, install...

plasma-desktop

...that doesn't install any of the normal Plasma related items; such as, Dolphin, Konqueror, Kwrite, etc... but it gives you the Plasma desktop. If you want to add Plasma related items, you'll have to install them separately.

Here's a link to where I built a very minimal Plasma. Keep in mind, this was done SEVERAL months ago...

http://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=5378#p5378

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#4 2018-06-16 16:14:51

dxrobertson

kde-standard is a good middle install that includes most of what you would expect in KDE. 

I personally prefer a KDE minimal install and installed kde-plasma-desktop and then installed what ever else I desired after that.  If you decide to go this route I can post what I installed. 

Something to be aware of is last I heard SDDM has problems, and its recommended to install and use LIGHTDM.  You may also have the infamous polkit problem so you will need to apt-get install libpolkit-backend-elogind-1-0 to fix that.

I am very happy with KDE and devuan, experienced no problems.  Basically I used:

apt-get install lightdm
apt-get install kde-plasma-desktop
encountered polkit problem
apt-get install libpolkit-backend-elogind-1-0
then my additional desired applications

Board footer