The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-18 07:31:48

oui

my own new derivative: Just:Ceres

ONLY ANNOUNCEMENTFOR TODAY:

I will upload soon (probably at sourceforge.net if I don´t meet difficulties there) my thin and smart little distro

Just:Ceres

32 bit: a refractasnapshot size under 640 MB
64 bit: a refractasnapshot size under 730 MB

What is "just"?

«Just» is the time I did made it: now, the time where Daedalus become stable and the new testing and Ceres are all about equivalent!

«Just» is the scope of included applications: only 3 extra xwindows app's:

- xterm
- magicpoint to permit to present somewhat
- mTpaint to process picture (show then, scrope then etc.)

and the usual included xtools (xedit, xcalc, xview).

Just:Ceres interacts willing with device "sda6"!

A presentation of it directly in ~/.bash_history, so with "cursor up" you can use the same commands!

More soon ...

#2 2023-08-18 11:47:29

oui

Re: my own new derivative: Just:Ceres

After restart from the usb key to the RAM as it is possible booting refracta snapshot iso's, the system is extrem fast. The USB plug stay free for other uses, for ex. to plug in a other big key with for ex. 128 GB!

Depending of the qualitiy of the connection the nstallation of Gparted is matter of about 1 minute  and you can format the big key ext4 with it

and

start

refractainstaller

!

A few minutes later you have a big stick with Grub and Just:Ceres on it but you can grow it or install more (Devuan stable?)!

All is easy to do! You can forget the unetbootin's & cie!

Using gparted, think about how many partitions you will need ;-)

(Linux need a swap but refactainstaller would also create a swap FILE in the partition if you don't prepare a swap partition for other Linux!)

Last edited by oui (2023-08-18 11:48:49)

#3 2023-08-18 12:52:13

oui

You can also create your own Just:Ceres yourself

(do it now, it is JUST the right time now as a new stable appear and that old "testing" become separate from ceres+the new testing Escalibur!)

- dowhload the little netinstall iso, the new actual one for Daedalus, from main site archives from Devuan
- install it in a new partition (6..10 GB are enough for a JustX installation as I propose, but you need that at least!)
- at installation time comes the moment where dselect proposes choices - unmark all excepted the last and continue
- select easy passwords and new user name (I did take ".", ".", and "f". You can change then later!)
- a few time later, your installation is ready and you can reboot into that new Just:Ceres, your own!
- update and actualize
- with nano or vim change "daedalus" in /etc/apt/sources.list into "ceres"
- if you want a really short installation, think about to add a /etc/apt/apt.conf (see at the end of this message)
- update and actualize once more
you have now a fresh and empty ceres system (or eskalibut if you did make that choice)!
- make

apt install gpm refractasnapshot-base refractainstaller-base

- make the first

refractasnapshot

and get your first ceres iso!
- add a few more:

su -

apt install gpm refractasnapshot-base refractainstaller-base xorg

(and what you want, but realize: you are in Ceres. In the future, to much can be the source of new difficulties to actualize and block your installation. Ceres can be a rolling installation for you, if you are prudent and use well the snapshots! the next new iso is not the goal but only your tool to actualize your Just:Ceres!)

xinit

- (quit immediately with

exit

to come back in console mode. To quit, the cursor habe to be at the right position!)

apt install gpm refractasnapshot-base refractainstaller-base xorg menu jwm mtpaint xcfe4-appfinder

startx

- quit again with exit

If all did go good, finish the adding of packages with this last package:

apt install gpm refractasnapshot-base refractainstaller-base xorg menu jwm mtpaint slim

(after reboot, your installation will start directly in graphic mode).

You can finish that first job including

- "j" at /etc/sudoers
- xfce4-appfinder at /etc/jwm/system-jwmrc in the menu
- xfce4-appfinder at /etc/jwm/system-jwmrc in the tray
- a background picture at /etc/jwm/system-jwmrc

If all that is now fine, you can make now make you 3thd snapshot, the real Just:Ceres snapshot you will use as base to actualize.

You actualize only that minimal version and grow it use a long commando line like

apt install gpm refractasnapshot-base refractainstaller-base xorg menu jwm mtpaint slim etc1 etc2 etc3 etc... etc-last

~~~~~~
Text for apt.conf:

APT::Install-Recommends "false";
APT::Install-Suggests "false";
APT::Get::Fix-Missing "true";
Acquire::Languages "none";
Acquire::Check-Valid-Until "false";

#4 2023-08-19 19:13:54

oui

oui wrote:

You actualize only that minimal version and grow it use a long commando line like

apt install gpm refractasnapshot-base refractainstaller-base xorg menu jwm mtpaint slim etc1 etc2 etc3 etc... etc-last

I did start this evening in my first "«Just:Ceres» full" about as I want (not really fully, but about, it yet somewhat!) in 32 bit for i686 PC (and all AMD64s!) starting out the RAM (with my i7/4cores 8 GB).

Fantastic!

The ISO has a size 1,6 GB with all that stuff (and more, as not all can be found complete in the Devuan depository, esp. Seamonkey NOT ! Seamonkey is an ideal solution for all processing big pictures esp. land maps = for ex. example CYCLISTS! Why? because Seamonkey offers the widest surface of screen for the picture, not for the idiotic decoration! Over that offers Seamonkey immediately a complete suite with IRC, mails, download management and, and! and that is important for me, an ideal HTML4-editor respecting the previous entries! This is UNIQUE in the unix world but this were present in the linux world very early! It is an important ability of Linux what Firefox will rapt us...

Now, that unique line to grow «Just:Ceres» to MY full scope of applications:

sudo apt install abiword alsa-utils cups didiwiki dillo freecad gimp gimagereader gforth gnome-sound-recorder gnumeric gocr gparted gprolog hunspell inkscape jwm lame marble-qt menu merkaartor mgp mhwaveedit mplayer mplayer-gui mtpaint osmo samba pcmanfm rosegarden seamonkey-mozilla-build simplescreenrecorder slim synaptic ucblogo xfce4-appfinder xsane

Yes, try it, it is easy and work well!

#5 2023-08-19 20:40:28

oui

To make your new system looking smart, you have to add some links, for example:

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/l3afpad /usr/bin/ed

(for "ed"itor)

or

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/pcmanfm /usr/bin/fm

(for ¨f"ile"m"amager)

and you have to add some stuff like

- more TrueType fonts (esp. for Chinese, Hindi=Devanagari, Japanese, Korean, Tamil)
  (Arabic and Urdu? Excuse me, I am not expert of those languages exp. because the writing from right to left; idem Hebraic)

- hunspell stuff (and tesseract-ocr stuff if you decide to use it instead of gocr! I use tesseract-ocr for myself but did install gocr as it is the Linux gnu standard!)

- you also need a link in /opt/seamonkey after erasing the created ../dictionaries directory:

sudo cd /opt/seamonkey/dictionaries
sudo rm *
cd ..
sudo rmdir dictionaries
sudo ln -s /usr/hunspell dictionaries

Seamonkey? How to become it?

Seamonkey is the best example for the completely fool action in the Linux world.

Seamonkey is a suite corresponding exactly and following also exactly to the real old Mozilla suite!

And some one try to kill it since he did appear: the Firefox movement with commercial character!

And Ubuntu help to destroy it completely:

Although Ubuntu did have all the last time a depository for Mozilla's they don't permit us to use the depository procedure

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com C1289A29

to get the key and permit us the use of that little depository at sourceforge.net to install and actualize from

deb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all main

It is also not enough to add that last line into your /etc/apt/sources.list !

That key system from, I suppose, gnu, is the most pervers attack against freedom (exact as the NEW grub!)!

In my opinion, high instances of the world economy have taken now the commands of Linux in their hands!

You can also NOT install Seamonkey with above line where all app's I install are named in alphabetic list because you can't not activate that ubuntu depository! And, of cours, you can not update in one rush...

But you can download the semaonkey.deb from that depository using this link (for the 64 bit version):

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntuzilla/files/mozilla/apt/pool/main/s/seamonkey-mozilla-build/seamonkey-mozilla-build_2.53.17-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb/download

IMPORTANT NOTE: making the same development earlier with Star Linux / Crowz Linux, I did create an analog version where that ubuntu depository and key did be accept! For that, I did have to install gnupg, gnupg1 and gnupg2. The process did break but at least, the depository did be accept!!! And continue to work: the update to rel. ... .17 from Seamonkey did happen without difficulty as I recently did update Crowz 64!

#6 2023-08-19 20:53:29

oui

how does Just:Ceres interact willing with your partition sda6 (or an other one!):

create one dir in /home/f/0 (why "0"? because it is always on top of the list of files an subdir's in /home/f !) and don't forget to look for the owner: it must be the user or an user (ftp!)...

and link your partition sda in /etc/fstab with /home/f/0 (but don't forget to uunmount before starting snapshot! If not, you include all your partition sda6 into your snapshot. In my PC, it is the big one with about 1 TB size ;-) ...).

This make possible:

- to start in the extreme speedy RAM mode
- have a usual /home/.. at RAM mode time (= the system forget under warranty all changes after shutting down!)
- have in /home/f/0 a bound data partition as big as possible!

(sda5 is my SWAP. The logical partition can be each of sda1 or sda2 or sda3 or sda4 ;-) and that is also on old PC's with M$Windows possible!)

#7 2023-08-19 21:03:30

oui

to make the system attractive an smart, you need only a few changes in the settings of JWM,

JWM can handle itself, without each big extension, usual great performances for window manager, esp. background pictures. In each JWM window a different if you want (see the JWM documentation). You have 2 backgrouhd pictures in your system: one in the grub setting, and one in the SLIM settings. If find it is a fresh picture and did change this line in /etc/jwm/system.jwmrc. After that, your system opens with that fun picture:

<Background type="image">/usr/share/slim/themes/default/background.jpg</Background>

#8 2023-08-19 21:14:59

oui

the next step is to add some icon in the tray for xfce4.appfinder! xfce4.appfinder is an essential tool to install fast and without effort a new system without some real distribution. it is so compact and works absolute perfect and complete the (very old Debian "Menu" from "menu" package installed just before jwm itself (see above!)...

so you have in Just:Ceres two menus being complementing each other:

- Debian menu
- Appfinder outputs!

Appfinder can be set so, that it explains, what each application does!!!

Please add this line

<TrayButton icon="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/xterm-color.png">exec:xterm</TrayButton>
        <TrayButton icon="org.xfce.appfinder.png">exec:xfce4-appfinder</TrayButton>
        <TrayButton icon="filled-xterm.svg">exec:pcmanfm</TrayButton>

to complete the jwm tray

and this line

<Separator/>
        <Program icon="org.xfce.appfinder.png" label="Appfinder">xfce4-appfinder</Programm>
        <Program icon="filled-xterm.svg" label="File manager">pcmanfm</Programm>

to add a starter in the jwm menu for appfinder!

(as I did not find all the awaiting icons, I did change then a bit...)

#9 2023-08-19 21:16:45

oui

If you perhaps have improvement for that design, please inform me, inform us!

Good luck and enjoy!

#10 2023-08-19 21:44:18

oui

You did probably understand, that I don't will install full my Just:Ceres! It is for the RAM (or, on PC with little RAM size, simple ISO start from USB key) use as I store my important settings directly in my second and following snapshots, especially the important hidden «/home/f/.mozilla» subdir!

My data? They go directly into my big partition sda6 using the attach at my subdir /home/f/0 , what else!

And can be use indifferently out my Just:Ceres32  (that one I did now finish) as also out JustCeres64 (I continue to work at it) or my Crown64 precedent version (where I did experiment with as I did not yet know that the new stage of Devuan was becoming).

On sda6, I have an actual version of Firefox (as Firefox upgrades all 6 hours: I can't make new snapshots all 6 hours! It would be absurd!). As fstab mounts automatic /home/f/0 by booting, I can copy the /opt/firefox dir on /dev/sda6 an link the starting module

ln -s /home/f/0/my's/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox

and have never (not all 6 hours) to snapshoot my Just:Ceres because of this uggly firefox!

and you could do the same for divers other things. Example:

sudo mv /usr/share/hunspell /usr/share/hunspell~
sudo ln -s /home/f/0/my's/hunspell /usr/share/hunspell

(pls, don´t forget to snapshot your changes!)

transform your installation into a ROM through your snapshots!

But I continue to have from time to time a work dir to process the snapshots.

Size:

- for only Just:Ceres, actually, 6 GB are enough!
- for above "full" version, 15 GB are practicable.

(Test completely before you erase that dir, if you need hard disk capacity else for other jobs!)

#11 2023-08-19 22:02:09

oui

main line of my applications selection above:

the need of a family with children

- making music (writing music sheets, processing music files etc.), searching bicycle routes, contributing to cartography cycle etc ways, learning such pretty stuff like logo (the fundamental book's from Brian Harvey are gratis online to download!) or prolog or forth

with a father

- working to better the family home designing new situation with CAD, planing trips for all the family with, no, no, not Google, with marble! Etc.

Don't forget: Basic Linux, the komplete graphic Linux on 2 simple Floppy discs each only 1,5 MB, did offer

- a presentation tool (magicpoint, mgp)
- a freehand drawing tool
- a scientific caltulator

(where is the scientific calculator in Just:Ceres? Hm, search a bit pls! I help you:

menu > Debian Menu >> Applications >>> Science >>>> Mathematics >>>>> Xcalc

(crowz and slitaz are the unique distributions I know having erased or not accept in xorg package to let it stay forgotten and un used!)

Last edited by oui (2023-08-19 22:03:28)

#12 2023-08-20 20:07:40

oui

oui wrote:

I did start this evening in my first "«Just:Ceres» full" about as I want (not really fully, but about, it yet somewhat!) in 32 bit for i686 PC (and all AMD64s!) starting out the RAM (with my i7/4cores 8 GB).

Fantastic!

The ISO has a size 1,6 GB with all that stuff

I did use today Just:Ceres as I was using Puppy Linux each day before. The difference? Puppy Linux did never come over 1 GB size and my Just:Ceres full 1,6 GB. The boot time was 2 minutes and 5 seconds (about the same as Puppy Linux having often only 0,5 GB size). Is that possible using the same computer, same USB key to boot etc.? In my opinion yes, because the guys of Puppy Linux loves effects, effects being costing time at starting = booting time. Decorations, little greeting windows etc.

Refracta tools are here neutral and fast and don't cause ballast. It is probably the explanation.

How to start?

Make a snapshot after including all what you want (esp. /home/f/.mozilla) in the iso, learn to include or exclude files from the snapshot! Burn the ISO on a USB key with «dd» and reboot.If all works, erase the dir used until you have new changes... Then create a adequate dir (ab. 5..7 GB for Just:Ceres, or ab. 12 .. 17/18 GB for «Just:Ceres full» and start from the USB key. Then open the Terminal and invoque the command «refractainstaller» and install. You probably need only 15..40 depending of your system performances and your own scope of installed stuff = applications (see my both lists!). Make your changes (for ex. sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade, or a new content for /home/f/.mozilla) and adds and terminate with a new snapshot with the command «refractasnapshot».

If all did go well, you can erase again the used directory until new changes are needing: all your important stuff is in the snapshot.iso!!!

for those having interest to use far east tongues:

excepted if you use then very intensive, you probably don't need some full input method!

use the keyboard layout «us intl» (real keyboard exist with this layout or you use a simple us keyboard and learn to use the differences "blind") together with the services from the web site https://inputking.com ! Inputking.com includes also a picture of each target keyboard (but includes no file commodity: you have to save your work yourself with CTRL C or other methods!).

and learn to use tesseract-ocr or gocr to translate all tongues you don't know yourself including Chinese etc.!

you can find stuff for over 50 tongues at https://www.goethe-verlag.com/book2/ if you want to answer (book2 did give the sound files of this work to the public domain! a second version of this works exists in 100 languages but I don't know if the files did be given for free, and the scope of sentences is smaller...)

this can be very interesting for children waving about far countries and new friends!

Last edited by oui (2023-08-20 20:11:07)

#13 2023-08-22 21:06:05

oui

one tip tu use SLIM:

slim is the mini sessions manager of Linux. and it works fine. but the formalism of slim can irritate a lot of people. to live a slim session, you have to real choices:

- reboot, and
- halt!

to reboot, enter "reboot" as login, and continue with NEW LINE and your password (" ." in my own version!)

to halt =

shutdown -h now

enter halt with NEW LINE and your password (" ." in my own version!).

It is all and it' s working well!

Next note:

The installation I am recommand is, of cours, a very, very compact installation and covers the most needs of users!

It is not mine: I did find it in Devuan-Star or Devuan-Crowz, and you can find a lot of other sources in the web for such compact installations (or more compact as Puppy Linux or Linux-Slax! A real installation of Linux with the real KDE4 was possible in the past with an ISO of 100 MB at Slax!). I continue to use sometimes to use sometimes from the Puppy Linux movement the Version "April64", compatible with a lot of actual software, esp. with actual browsers.

Of course are such low level installation not having the maximal power of the divers applications they propose:

An example, the wonderful application Marble-Qt (analogue with

If you install with my long line describe above, the installation will occupy ab. 380 MB (depending of diverses parameters). You will start Marble probably without problem. All is right!

I you make back the installations restrictions contained in the file /etc/apt.conf just at the time you will install marble-qt

(for ex.

sudo mv /etc/apt/apt.con /etc/apt/apt.conf~

)

the installation will need ab. 100 MB more room on the hard disk or expand in the RAM (and ab. 1/3 in the other snapshot.iso)!

But the new function " routing from A to B " for ex. will be present!

This function is NOT essential for Marble-QT. Only for different users, I am one for example.

And this is the same for divers applications having a lot of recommanded extensions.

To inspect this, start you little an shirt " Just:Ceres" and,
before you load the rest through the internet,
inspect the output of "apt", for ex. for marble-qt,

sudo apt install marble-qt

You can save the output to look it later if you want:

sudo apt install marble-qt > apt-output4marble-qtwithout

or you can do it twice: one time WITH the exclusions, one other timw without ;-) .

You learn so a lot about the modular function of Linux

(some applications are included in a "box", espec. browsers, suites for internet, office, multimedia etc.
They includes immediately ALL recommanded extensions, and you see nothing more ;-) . Hm, really?
No, not really: They are (often) gigantic compared with the other build modular in authentic Linux style.

Last edited by oui (2023-08-22 21:14:02)

Board footer