The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-06-21 21:51:08

oui

refracta Daedalus 32 bit: installations problem :-(

a long time ago my old PC did begin to show problems. it was very old. I did prepare an echange from PC installing the at this time new refracta daedalus 32 bit iso with all what I will use in the future, but did not use it at all at this time as I did have problems enough with the old PC and my jobs did claim...

the new used PC with Windows 10 fresh preinstalled did arrive today.

I did shrink the big windows C:  partition as far as I can within Windows10 using diskpart, list volume, select volume 1, shink,
Success.

And I did search an USB key that I did have prepared with all my new installation from refracta Daedalus 32 bit.

But, hum, Daedalus is like quicksilver, it is always in move and I realize the time between the installation and now is long. As that installation is an usb installation, I suppose I can't actualise before installing and that, what I wish on the (new (used) pc is a regular full installation! On the small USB fast memory card (2 GB) is the live ISO of the installation with the itself about  between 1.5 ... 2.0 GB of own size and no extra partition. I have 3 folders, isolinux, live, and pkglist_snapshot-20230305_1041.

The complete snapshot ISO is not available any more as I have very difficult access to the old PC (it's problem is the visualisation and that make the searching in the very big old hard disk terribly difficult!), Since this time, I did use temporary much older PC's starting with live systems like this USB-memory-card!)

What ist the best way to move the content of the liveISO to a new regular full installation on the hard disk where I did create adequate room (partitions: sda5 as swap, sda6 as a little boot partition, actually no boot loader in it, and sda7 the place dedicated for refracta 32 bit Daedalus in the actualized stage from today)?

(If possible in commando line as it exclude confusions!)

#2 2023-06-22 05:24:08

GlennW

Re: refracta Daedalus 32 bit: installations problem :-(

Hi, look up 'dual boot', if you have created enough free space on the windows drive,

the installer program will allow you to set up and install Daedalus.

I haven't dual booted in quite some time... drop in anyone with a newer truth.

The installer should leave you able to select which OS to start, your choice... with a time out so it will eventually boot the default.

If you are concerned about your setting on the stick, you may be able to duplicate it later.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#3 2023-06-22 19:45:50

oui

Hi

I am sorry, dear GlennW, but it was absolutely not the question! Read pls right: I have a good and complete (Original Refracta) installation but don' t know the way

how

I can move that installation

- from the USB memory card

- on the HardDisk from new computer

using the refracta tools (because the refracta tools are not ONE tool each but a library from different tools and the destination of each possible action is not evident for newbies...).

#4 2023-06-23 09:40:58

Camtaf

Re installing using refracta can be tricky, even with just a separate /home partition, so I suggest you do a new install using the 'desktop' version of Daedalus.

As for, dual booting, I haven't since W95, & I think you will also have to alter the EFI/BIOS settings on a W10 machine, (secure boot, etc).

Unless you need to keep W10, I'd wipe it, & just install Daedalus on there, it will be the easiest. smile

P.S. Use the 64bit version on that W10 machine.

Last edited by Camtaf (2023-06-23 09:43:07)

#5 2023-06-23 17:28:35

oui

Hi Dear Camtaf, thank your very much for the help,

but it also is absolutely not the question!

The  question is, you feel it yourself (

installing using refracta can be tricky

):

why?

a computer itself would never thing about other matters!

it is evident, that Refracta create a problem (through the choices of words in the texts etc. Probably not in the function), what we all don't appreciate right!

I will reinstall my old installation from 5th March 2023!

all discussions other that subject are only the search for a bad compromis.

Kind regards

#6 2023-07-03 21:39:16

oui

I did use now the refracta tools in Star Linux alias Crowz Linux (see separate thread) and did have success snapshoting + reinstalling with refracta installer but ...

... it is an EXTREMST quenching tool compared with the extrem friendly tool from Calamares initially included in Crowz!

AFTER it did install the packages, also at the end of it's job, he breaks the installation because it gives a lot of choices I am not willing concerning encryption and rights of the user.

I did add directly the new installation in grub.cfg (as 40_custom does usually) with 4 lines only. And the installation did start of course with the precedent user and user's root password (as, it is naturally so, as refractasnapshot did copy all including the right of the user and it's password!) but that breaking is not evident.

The refracta installer has a too complex end structure compared with calamares!

Last edited by oui (2023-07-03 21:41:00)

Board footer