The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-04-15 19:18:52

bai4Iej2need

Chimaera Netinstall Live ISO 4.0.0 in Multibootstick

I used my new and shiny VENTOY multibootstick to test the installation on a laptop Lenovo-R460, before doing a final install.
The laptop boots ventoy,
then I choose devuan_chimaera_4.0.0_amd64_netinstall.iso, which starts as with a normal boot-stick.

Arriving at the disk partition menue I choose to encrypt the whole or part of the partitions in LVM
Then the installer wants to encrypt the SSD , but also this part of /dev/sdb, the Multiboot stick Ventoy part, where the ventoy iso is installed.
The same happens in other partition menues with LVM

mount says there is no LVM Volume on /dev/sdb
So I stop using this sort of install.
It was hard enough to create this multiboot stick. Should not be destroyed.

The devil, you know, is better than the angel, you don't know. by a British Citizen, I don't know too good.
One generation abandons the enterprises of another like stranded vessels. By Henry David Thoreau, WALDEN, Economy. Line 236 (Gutenberg text Version)
broken by design :
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=958390

#2 2023-04-15 23:13:23

WodeShengli

Re: Chimaera Netinstall Live ISO 4.0.0 in Multibootstick

You can use GUI based program to install it,how hard enough to create this multiboot stick it was yikes?
There was lots of bugs to run iso of not popular distro with VENTOY, 
so,my suggestion is use etcher to write whole iso file to ONE usb stick,it will work correctly.

#3 2023-04-16 06:10:55

rolfie

With a Ventoj multiboot stick never use automated install! You will need to use manual partitioning to have full control where the system goes. This works perfectly.

#4 2023-04-16 07:43:45

Camtaf

Creating a Ventoy pendrive is easy, just click on the version of your computer, then copy/paste distros to the pendrive....

Not all distros work under Ventoy, but it has been tested with a few hundred Linux distros.

It's a handy tool for trying 'live' distros in particular.... smile

#5 2023-04-16 11:55:03

bai4Iej2need

rolfie wrote:

With a Ventoj multiboot stick never use automated install! You will need to use manual partitioning to have full control where the system goes. This works perfectly.

Unfortunately there is no way of deselecting the wrong partitioning of Ventoy stick
The choice on Ventoy stick with manual partitioning is

• create LVM Partition or

• create empty partition or

but there is missing point "do nothing" or "leave as is"

Last edited by bai4Iej2need (2023-04-16 12:00:55)

The devil, you know, is better than the angel, you don't know. by a British Citizen, I don't know too good.
One generation abandons the enterprises of another like stranded vessels. By Henry David Thoreau, WALDEN, Economy. Line 236 (Gutenberg text Version)
broken by design :
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=958390

#6 2023-04-16 13:36:05

fsmithred
Administrator

Encrypted or LVM installs with debian-installer can be confusing. Maybe this will help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEl2S5MI-WU
Manual partitioning begins around 4:50

#7 2023-04-17 07:53:39

rolfie

You have to leave the Ventoj partitioning scheme for the boot stick alone as is. Don't try to modify this. Per Default there is a boot partition that hold everything for legacy and efi boot, and a partition for the iso's. I think there is no LVM involved if I am not mistaken.

It is not Ventoj that is causing problems, it is the installer itself. If you are manually directing the installer to the intended partitions for the installation everything works fine.

In manual partitioning mode you can see which devices and parititons are what for and select the desired spave for the system.

Board footer