The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-24 11:16:27

etech

Daedalus Bluetooth problem...

Hi,

What I wrote previously :
I first installed Chimaera and Daedalus (older ISO) on qemu/kvm virtual machines, easy stuff and no problems!
Then I installed Daedalus on two laptops - a ThinkPad x270 and a ThinkPad 13 2nd gen.
It's a preview and I had some difficulties with partitioning and the network while installing but finally succeeded.
Once installed, Daedalus runs perfectly except for the bluetoothd/bluez service. From time to time it stops and I have to restart the service. The mouse I use works flawlessly with Debian testing, so I believe there's something wrong with Daedalus Bluetooth implementation. For example, when I put my mouse off the Bluetooth service stops.
I've been using Debian testing for years on my computers (DE=Xfce) and Debian stable for my Web server and I intend to switch to Devuan. I'll install Devuan on other desktops and laptops, old and new.
For now I use my 13" ThinkPad with Daedalus installed and except for the Blutooth (5.62) problem I'm very happy with Daedalus.
Thank you for 'init freedom'!

I found an immediate solution for the bluetoothd problem that I found while enjoying Devuan Daedalus on two laptops.
I extracted the bluetoothd daemon executable file from Chimaera's bluez_5.55-3.1_amd64.deb package and put it in /usr/libexec/, replacing the 5.62 version.
And it works now.o I believe that Daedalus bluetoothd version 5.62 maybe needs to be debugged and/or repaired.
Hope it helps.
Thank you for 'init freedom' smile

#2 2022-03-24 14:46:40

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: Daedalus Bluetooth problem...

etech wrote:

bluetoothd version 5.62 maybe needs to be debugged and repaired.

Yeah, maybe. Some of these bugs go back to 2009. I can't tell from this page if they're unfixed or if they just don't ever close their bug reports.
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepo … kage=bluez

Thanks for the info. Someone else may run into the same problem.

#3 2022-03-24 16:08:53

etech

Hi fsmithred,
Thanks for your reply.
I have several computers and I compared Devuan testing installs with Debian testing ones.
The same bluez package works flawlessly on my Debian testing desktops and laptops. It has the same size as the bluez package from Daedalus
How can one runs fine and the other not?
Anyway the bluez package from Chimaera (versions 5.65) works fine here and it will not stop me to migrate to Devuan smile

#4 2022-03-26 09:08:39

etech

Hi,

In my last message about the bluetooth bug in Daedalus, I only found a workaround to make bluetooth work on my Devuan Daedalus installs.

I noticed that some Linux distributions have the new version of the bluetooth stack (5.64), for example OpenSuse 'TumbleWeed', unfortunately with a dependency to systemd. So I looked for the 'official' source code of the latest version (5.64) and found it there : http://www.bluez.org/

Release of BlueZ 5.64
19th March 2022, 06:18 am by Tedd Ho-Jeong An

This is another release mostly with the bug fixes on HOG, GATT, A2DP, Media, AVDTP, AVRCP, and scanning failure. Also, this release includes a fix for building with old glibc (< 2.25), and other minor issues found with the static code analyzing tool. ISO packet support is added to the emulator as a part of LE Audio development.

Source code from : http://www.bluez.org/
Tarball : http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/bluetoo … .64.tar.xz

I downloaded the tarball and examined its 'autotools' scripts and configuration files.
Looking at the source code from the tarball in the (autotools) configure.ac file I saw the possibility to get rid the dependency to systemd with the '--disable-systemd' argument to pass to ./configure, so I decided to try to compile the source code.

I had to install 3 include files to compile the binary :
sudo apt install libudev-dev libical-dev libreadline-dev

Then : ./configure --disable-systemd
Then : make

In the src dir, the 'bluetoothd' daemon is built.
In the obexd/src dir, the 'obexd' daemon is built.

obexd => OBEX(OBject EXchange) daemon. OBEX is communication protocol to facilitate the exchange of the binary object between the devices.

I moved the two daemons to the /usr/libexec/ after renaming the old files.

I rebooted my Devuan 'Daedalus' ThinkPad laptop and ;o)

I think it is possible to integrate these two binaries and maybe build a fully working up to date package for Devuan Daedalus. I'd like to contact someone of the Devuan programmers to do this.

Within a few days, I'll know if the new daemons are bugs free and investigate a bit more...

Thank you for 'init freedom' : )

#5 2022-03-26 10:22:01

etech

Last build with arguments --disable-systemd and --disable-udev
No dependency on systemd and udev!

I had to install 2 include files to compile the binary :
sudo apt install libical-dev libreadline-dev

Then : ./configure --disable-systemd --disable-udev
Then : make

Last edited by etech (2022-03-26 10:23:41)

#6 2022-03-28 02:00:49

GlennW

Hi, thank you for your effort. I am currently interested in this subject to get BT headset running "connect and glitch free".

...watching with interest. (although I am running devuan_chimaera)

<edit>
I'm trying this with Pulse-audio... on a desktop with outboard usb-audio and hdmi module removed through rc.local

</edit>

Last edited by GlennW (2022-03-28 03:00:46)

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#7 2022-03-28 09:20:05

etech

@GlennW: Devuan Chimaera has version 5.55 of the bluez package and Bluetooth was working normally on Chimaera. Is it OK with your headset?
My concern was about 2 different brands of mice: Lenovo Bluetooth mouse and Xiao Mi mouse. I do not use other BT devices.

#8 2022-03-28 21:58:37

GlennW

I have a BT mouse (Logitech M-185) Works flawlessly, might as well be cable... (bluez amd64 5.55-3.1)

The trouble I have is the Headset connection is dropping audio far too much,

and pulse audio won't show or switch to it on connect after the very first time.

I'm trying a few hacks but have no joy yet.

<edit>
this page... https://askubuntu.com/questions/366032/ … omatically
and this page... http://askubuntu.com/questions/366032/p … omatically
but it's still really flakey
the BT icon shows up in the system tray, and connects when paired, but pulse won't change over. I have also blacklisted
manually at each boot with rmmod in rc.local "rmmod -f snd_hda_codec_hdmi" to get rid of the useless hdmi audio connection (seems to be set for laptops) on my desktop system . Thank you</edit>

Last edited by GlennW (2022-03-28 22:21:51)

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#9 2022-03-29 14:06:42

dzz

Running chimaera here on my vaio netbook but not testing/unstable at the moment.

I use bluetooth for android (lineageos) file transfer and for 3 different BT speaker sets. Eveything works.

$ dpkg -l|grep bluez
ii  bluez                                 5.55-3.1                               amd64        Bluetooth tools and daemons
ii  bluez-alsa-utils                      3.1.0~git20211121-1+exegnu1            amd64        Bluetooth Audio ALSA Backend (utils)
ii  bluez-firmware                        1.2-4                                  all          Firmware for Bluetooth devices
ii  bluez-obexd                           5.55-3.1                               amd64        bluez obex daemon
ii  libasound2-plugin-bluez:amd64         3.1.0~git20211121-1+exegnu1            amd64        Bluetooth Audio ALSA Backend (plugins)

I don't know if bluez 5.55-3.1 will run on testing or if the problems mentioned are hardware-specific for all versions. Maybe someone wants to try package the latest source.

Re BT speakers/headsets: there was a thread here for those who don't want pulseaudio (bluez-alsa)

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=4612

I finally sorted debian sid packages' missing sysv script for bluez-alsa. The rebuilt debs do work in chimaera (can't test on Daedalus yet) :

https://exegnulinux.net/apt/pool/main/b/bluez-alsa/

#10 2022-03-31 15:48:47

etech

Hi dzz,
As you said, Chimaera's bluez version 5.55 is OK.
I'm trying Exe Linux on a VM because I do not know TDE smile

#11 2022-04-08 16:38:03

etech

bluez 5.64-1 is now available in Devuan unstable.

~$ apt-cache policy bluez
bluez:
  Installé : 5.64-1
  Candidat : 5.64-1
 Table de version :
 *** 5.64-1 100
        -10 [url]http://deb.devuan.org/merged[/url] unstable/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     5.62-2 900
        900 [url]http://deb.devuan.org/merged[/url] testing/main amd64 Packages
     5.55-3.1 -10
        -10 [url]http://deb.devuan.org/merged[/url] stable/main amd64 Packages

It works fine at least for mice and keyboards.
Thanks for init freedom wink

#12 2022-04-27 13:31:28

etech

Updated today : bluez 5.64-2. No more issues (at least for mice and keyboards).
Daedalus looks like being mature now, and became my preferred distro (Xfce - sysvinit).
Thank you for 'init freedom' smile

Last edited by etech (2022-04-27 18:53:12)

#13 2022-05-28 17:14:11

czeekaj

I am having issues myself on chimera blue tooth. After upgrading. I had the bluetooth show up as disabled on boot up if RF kill switch was on during boot up then switch back on after logged in.
Got dmesg warning me failed to load bluetooth firmware. rfkill shows bluetooth as hard disabled even after switch is turned on.

#14 2022-05-31 10:29:19

etech

Hi czeekaj,
have you tried the following:
sudo rfkill unblock all
and reboot?
Sometimes missing firmware are found in firmware-linux-nonfree or firmware-misc-nonfree.

#15 2022-06-25 19:19:35

czeekaj

I did not have this issue before running only free repos.
I don't want to use non-free drivers. I noticed a behavior change at boot up and handing off bluetooth to the OS.
rfkill unblock all seems to have changed nothing after reboot. Only after booting in does it do anything. Before I had no issue. It's like the rfkill switch if toggled off does not hand off to the OS now during boot. It stays off on the OS and I must through software enable bluetooth. Before I could toggle BT and Wifi on and off with just the switch never having to mess with rfkill package. Maybe a newer version of rfkill is to blame

Now it's like the OS doesn't 'grab' the bluetooth. When I boot rfkill starts with a softlock but I imagine maybe it's just now the default after installing the package. Maybe it's just my configuration. It's not something I messed with before but now I am paying attention to it.
Not sure anyway to fix this without nuking the setup.

I'm using a t400 running libreboot.

Last edited by czeekaj (2022-06-25 19:30:11)

Board footer