The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-02-18 17:52:16

rolfie

[SOLVED] nfs trouble on Chimaera

Had to freshly install my file server. The system SSD was defective, data isn't affected. Now the nfs server won't start up. Error message is:

# service nfs-kernel-server restart
Stopping NFS kernel daemon: mountd nfsd.
Unexporting directories for NFS kernel daemon....
Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon....
Starting NFS kernel daemon: nfsd mountdUsage: rpc.mountd [-F|--foreground] [-h|--help] [-v|--version] [-d kind|--debug kind]
	[-o num|--descriptors num]
	[-p|--port port] [-V version|--nfs-version version]
	[-N version|--no-nfs-version version] [-n|--no-tcp]
	[-H prog |--ha-callout prog] [-r |--reverse-lookup]
	[-s|--state-directory-path path] [-g|--manage-gids]
	[-t num|--num-threads=num] [-u|--no-udp]
 failed!
# showmount -e fs090
clnt_create: RPC: Program not registered 

I don't know how to deal with this situation.

Background info: Xeon 4 core CPU on X99-E WS, 32G RAM, 256G Plextor nvme as system disk, LSI9271 supplying a RAID6 with about 5TB space, two more disks for single shares. Installed from Chimaera netinstall, encrypted LVM, openrc as init, manual installation of xorg, lightdm, Mate desktop, nfs-common, nfs-kernel-server. Latest stock kernel and backports kernels available, 5.15 is the default. It does not matter which one I do boot. The RAID6 is nicely decrypted and mounted, also the two other disks. The export file is a copy of the original one from a backup. Most of the setup I have taken from my notes. Everything should work.

The above error is shown as well during boot as when I try to restart the nfs-server. Also showmount throws an error. The duck does not give hints to this error.

Also tried to drill down how the nfs-server is started. The script in /etc/rc0.d does not contain this specific error printout. How can I find the root cause for the startup failure?

Thanks, rolfie

#2 2022-02-19 20:54:58

rolfie

Re: [SOLVED] nfs trouble on Chimaera

Got the problem. It was a simple "-" in the wrong place in the /etc/default/nfs-kernel-server. I had in there:

RPCMOUNTDOPTS="--manage-gids --debug-all"

Removing the dash in second option changing it to "--debug all" made the script work.

rolfie

#3 2022-02-20 07:50:10

berni51
Website

Does it mean hat the rpc.mountd was not started due to the unknown option?

The good ol' days will not return, and the rocks might smelt and the sea may burn.

#4 2022-02-20 09:42:50

rolfie

Exactly.

Board footer