The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-19 10:41:15

MLEvD

[SOLVED] Keeping LMDE4 in Beowulf?

When I upgraded from LMDE 2 to 3, sysv was retained.
when I upgraded from LMDE3 to Beowulf (which went like a dream), systemd was removed.

In order to install systemd again, I need to remove elongind and install logind. Can I do this? Can I install systemd and get my old situation back, dual boot with systemd?

#2 2021-03-19 13:40:11

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Keeping LMDE4 in Beowulf?

I have not read any accounts of anyone migrating from devuan to debian or other debian-based systemd distro. You would be cutting a new trail.

Obviously, you would need to add a mint or debian repo to your sources to install banned packages. You might need to do some creative pinning to prevent a disaster. Either that or do a full migration back to LMDE. Please write it up if you do. Thanks. Good luck.

#3 2021-03-19 15:58:16

MLEvD

Been hacking LMDE for a while, check out minux lint ebian dedition on facebook wink

Started out just wanting to fit LMDE into less than 3GB for asus eeepc 4G, so was attracted to the single language, single driver netinstall of debian 8.10 with firmware to create a system with no desktop, then just sudo apt install synaptic mintmenu and virtually everything else is pulled in. It worked fine, might dig out an old version and try upgrading it.

Currently having second attempt at this nice new upgrade path. I don't generally record anything, preferring to think of myself as a gardener growing mint in a field of eee pc.

So far I have:
Installed cinnamon 2 lmde
Applied all updates
Cinnamon would not start
So have already installed lightdm, mate-session-manager, mate-control-center, mate-media.
Mate desktop here uses 80 to 120 MB idling, depending on if it's default config or all the easy stuff switched off.
Currently stripping out bloat, aiming for less than 1500 packages before first upgrade, will try to keep cinnamon desktop this time.

#4 2021-03-19 16:18:00

MLEvD

P.S, as for systemd not being in the repo, I have a 3.5GB partition on a lego brick USB mounted as /var/cache/apt/archives which has most of the files from upgrades from LMDE 2 to 4, and  lot of devuan files too now. This saves time and bandwidth, and allows me to easily roll back if a much-loved feature is removed (mate-menu gets worse each release).

Board footer