The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-25 20:40:56

basati

It'll be when It's ready, I know, but an approximation?

Hello

know it's a bit silly to say this, but you're anxious. The group of developers has to have an idea of where things are going............ I don't ask in days, with weeks you can see me.

8=þ

Gora gu ta gutarrok

8=þ

#2 2020-01-04 09:00:32

bimon

Re: It'll be when It's ready, I know, but an approximation?

Would not it be easier to produce Devuan release without GUI earlier than with GUI?

Do most of us really need Devuan versions newer than v2.1 ASAP on a dekstop ?

As for me I am happy with Ascii v2.1 + Trinity Desktop and can run anything I need in a KVM still displayed on the main system Xorg. Currently I use Devuan v2.1 for Xorg desktop but in the future it is possible to use even a dedicated OpenBSD for a few more secure screens.

For me it would be more preferred to have server releases of Devuan ealier than desktops, like:

Devuan Beowulf v3.x Server Edition with text only console tools and what is the most important server packages like apache, dovecot, etc.

Why not to unify developer's forces of distros like Devuan, Alpine, Slackware and Gentoo/Calculate into a single job stream of cleaning important server packages from nasty systemD? You could create OpenRC definitions of missing servers together in the future.

Last edited by bimon (2020-01-04 09:25:00)

#3 2020-01-04 11:26:38

jkop

I'd like to see simple server edition too with option to choose packages like apache.

#4 2020-01-04 19:07:10

tlathm

I just recently tested a Beowulf LAMP server by a) installing from Ascii 2.1, just installing enough to get a running server, b) changing the sources.list to beowulf, c) doing an apt update and apt dist-upgrade, and d) installing everything I needed after that.

I have to say it worked flawlessly. I've done pretty extensive testing with the application this is intended for and it's pretty awesome. Looking forward for the stable version for sure.

Tom

#5 2020-01-06 17:55:46

bimon

Using Beowulf for a text mode console only server too, though just debootstrapped it from console on another Devuan Ascii instead of upgrading.

IMHO debootstrapping Devuan is the most convenient method to get a new Devuan installation.

Now the server runs Libre Kernel, ZFS, Alpine Linux as a KVM guest, very stable after enabling firehol DDOS protection like:

ipv4 synproxy input inface eth0 dst 95.129.163.132 dport 25 accept;                                                                                                                                                                                                           
interface eth0 Mobo;
        protection strong;
        protection all-floods; # 90/sec 40;
        protection connlimit 150        mask 24;        # from all

Last edited by bimon (2020-01-06 17:59:00)

#6 2020-01-06 17:58:26

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

basati wrote:

The group of developers has to have an idea of where things are going

I can't speak for the developers but fsmithred has just released the first beowulf beta for Refracta so the release is approaching.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#7 2020-01-06 20:27:28

fsmithred
Administrator

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
basati wrote:

I can't speak for the developers but fsmithred has just released the first beowulf beta for Refracta so the release is approaching.

Yup. As soon as we get the installer isos right, we'll let you play with them. Meanwhile, I switched my main box to beowulf.  (Bye bye Jessie. I'm sorry it didn't work out as we first expected, but I had nothing to do with that. I kept you as pure as I could.)

#8 2020-01-06 22:21:17

sgage

fsmithred wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
basati wrote:

Yup. As soon as we get the installer isos right, we'll let you play with them. Meanwhile, I switched my main box to beowulf.  (Bye bye Jessie. I'm sorry it didn't work out as we first expected, but I had nothing to do with that. I kept you as pure as I could.)

My main box would be beowulf if I could install wine32. Other than that. beowulf works beautifully on my machine.

[edit: Ack! I just checked, and I was able to install wine32! So I can run the one program that I need to run in wine. Ironically, wine (64-bit) won't install because of a few held back packages. I'm sure it will get sorted, but I don't need it anyway. My main box is now beowulf!]

Last edited by sgage (2020-01-06 22:40:50)

#9 2020-01-07 01:40:56

aut0exec

sgage wrote:

My main box would be beowulf if I could install wine32. Other than that. beowulf works beautifully on my machine.

Several of mine are Beowulf as well. Only issue thus far has been the conversion over to nftables instead of iptables which ended up causing UFW to fail to start. Easy to fix with

update-alternatives

Can't wait to upgrade everything when it's ready.

Last edited by aut0exec (2020-01-07 01:41:14)

#10 2020-01-15 01:31:12

sgage

Still 4 polkit-related packages being held back as of today...

Board footer