The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-21 07:29:54

haxxmichdoch

Acer Travelmate (B117) custom install on mmcblk0

Howdy!

First, sorry for my bad english big_smile
Second, sorry for questions which might sound stupid for you^^

Im writing this post because some things made me unsure if things will work the way i want them to work...
I planned to install Devuan ASCII on my Acer Travelmate B117. Beside of a 2,5" HDD which is removable, the travelmate has a internal memory, which gparted is showing as a 58.24 GB big "dev/mmcblk0" device, with following partitions:
-mmcblk0p1 = 100MiB | EFI system partition | fat32
-mmcblk0p2 =  16MiB | Microsoft reserved partition | unknown
-mmcblk0p3 = 57.13GiB | Basic data partition (Windows) | ntfs
-mmcblk0p4 =   1GiB | Basic data partition (Recovery) | ntfs

Now the big question, if i format this "internal memorycard" and install Devuan on it, will it be bootable afterwards? Or do i have to format only p3 and p4, letting p1 and p2 untouched?

I am not familiar with this sort of diskspace, and dont want to break it down big_smile
Hopefully someone can give me a little advice.
The next step would be installing qTox and i2P...

big thanks & have a nice day smile

#2 2018-11-21 15:08:36

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: Acer Travelmate (B117) custom install on mmcblk0

I don't know the answer. You should be able to make a backup of the whole mmc device if you can read it while windows is not running. You would need to either boot a live-usb or pull out the card and connect it to another computer. Then dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=some-file

If you install devuan to the hdd instead, the grub bootloader will go into the efi partition, and it should include the windows system in the boot menu. That is what normally happens. No guarantees with this. Check your bios to make sure you can turn off secure boot.

#3 2018-11-21 21:20:32

haxxmichdoch

Re: Acer Travelmate (B117) custom install on mmcblk0

pulling out the card is impossible, i think its integrated in the mainboard.
but i got it done, after several times getting stuck on boot after installation... then erased everything on the MMC and let the graphical installer doing the partitioning smile

Board footer