The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-26 19:51:14

devuan_dk_fan

New Devuan Trinity install on laptop - need MuseScore to work.

My basic problem is that the MuseScore AppImage complains when I try to run it:

$ ./MuseScore-2.1-x86_64.AppImage
initScoreFonts 0x3d20bf0
PulseAudio Context Connect Failed with Error: Connection refused
init PulseAudio failed
no audio driver found
Cannot start I/O
sequencer init failed
Ignore SSL error: 6 The certificate has expired

I am experimenting with a minimal cli Devuan Jessie install with Trinity as the DE. I am new to Devuan and Trinity (as well as anything KDE related for that matter). Anyway, my main go to app for music is MuseScore. I use the AppImage version for a number of reasons, one of which is MuseScore has had a bug the developers don't seem to be able to lock down that creates static or feedback when using MIDI playback for a score.

I have discovered that Trinity uses a sound system called aRts. It seems to me that the above errors reflect a dependency on PulseAudio. If MuseScore absolutely needs PulseAudio, is it possible to get Trinity to work with PulseAudio? How? Alternatively, is it possible to get MuseScore working with aRts?

I wish the Trinity team had chosen another name, as there is so much cruft that pops up when searching for something about "Trinity", "TDE", "TDM" etc. I am hoping there are some Trinity users out there that can give some advice.

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
I’ve had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn’t it. - Groucho Marx

#2 2018-01-27 01:07:08

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: New Devuan Trinity install on laptop - need MuseScore to work.

Pulseaudio probably works as well with TDE as it does with anything else. Many people will tell you that it doesn't work anywhere. If you don't want to install pulseaudio, you can install apulse. The version in the experimental repo works in jessie. But before you do that, does sound work at all?

Add this line to /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/devuan experimental main

Then

apt-get update
apt-get -t experimental install apulse
apulse ./MuseScore-2.1-x86_64.AppImage

When you're done, comment out the line for experimental (not really required, but it's a good idea) and then 'apt-get update' again.

MuseScore works with apulse on my jessie/xfce. (Pretty cool app. Thanks for mentioning it.) It also works with kde5 on ascii with pulseaudio with no configuration needed. It's been a long time since I've used kde, so I don't really remember much about the sound settings.

#3 2018-01-27 17:42:22

devuan_dk_fan

Re: New Devuan Trinity install on laptop - need MuseScore to work.

Hi again fsmithred. Thanks for the info. I installed apulse. I haven't been able to switch to apulse yet, but yes, the aRts sound actually works very well with Trinity. Still looking for info on switching to apulse, but as I mentioned before, very irritating wading through all of the "Trinity", "TDE" and "TDM" posts.
----
I gave up on getting apulse to work with MuseScore and the Trinity DE, but PulseAudio works with MuseScore out of the box. Not sure whether Trinity is using aRts or PulseAudio, but at least system sound still works.

Last edited by devuan_dk_fan (2018-01-28 15:35:51)

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
I’ve had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn’t it. - Groucho Marx

Board footer