The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-12 10:48:07

leloft

xserver-xorg-core/legacy ascii issues.

I have upgraded my third machine to ascii, but the first two are headless and so I don't know if this is specific to the third machine.  The problem that I face is this: on jessie, exiting openbox returned me to a console but kept me logged in and so I was able to leave long print runs overnight while still shutting down the X server.  After upgrading to ascii, firstly I couldn't startx at all, but installing xdm has cured that (albeit with a debian-native logo), but I cannot drop down to a console and remain logged in.  I have to choose between overnight user-space operations + X server or nothing.  This is inconvenient to put it moderately.  So, formally:

a) What files should I have
b) with what permissions
c) in which directories
to run xserver-xorg-* from a console logged in as a normal user, allowing me to refresh X simply by exiting openbox.  This used to be accomplished in all 'jessies' both devuan and debian by changing /usr/bin/slim for /usr/bin/true in /etc/X11/default-display-manager, but I cannot get this to work: X kept reporting an I/O error.  Changing it to /usr/bin/xdm works as above.

Is there any mileage in starting an 'xserver-xorg-legacy in ascii' hint thread?
Many thanks

Last edited by leloft (2017-09-12 11:02:05)

#2 2017-09-12 10:53:43

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: xserver-xorg-core/legacy ascii issues.

apt-get remove xdm
echo "needs_root_rights=yes" >> /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config

Then use startx.

#3 2017-09-12 11:10:29

leloft

Small, but perfectly formed.
+1

#4 2017-09-12 12:03:14

hunger

That change means that the entire X server will be started with root rights. The X server is full of decade old cruft that was written without giving any regard to security and any of that can be triggered by any connected application. You are trashing decades of work to make the Linux GUI safer:-)

https://media.ccc.de/v/30C3_-_5499_-_en … n_sprundel has a presentation on the state of security in the X server. There is a follow-up somewhere, but I can not find it right now:-)

#5 2017-09-12 12:39:36

leloft

We know this, but we are between a rock and a hard place: AFAIK xserver-xorg-core (the new X  running without root privileges) has a systemd dependency (https://packages.debian.org/sid/xserver-xorg-core), whereas the -legacy version doesn't, but at the cost of the security.  That's why I like to drop down to a console if I leave the machine unattended.

I (sort of) understand from postings elsewhere on this forum and dng list that a solution may be on its way: something to do with udev/eudev.  And yes, it's a high price to pay for those windows, but you try earning a living without them.  Be like going back to 'sneakernet'.

#6 2017-09-13 00:21:42

fungus
Website

Maybe a dumb newbie question.  If you don't have autostarting of the xserver or a dm, and you log in to console as user,
isn't the only way to bring X & dm up to use sudo, or log in as root?  If you log in as root you just type the name of the dm
and it starts, as root.

If now you are on a common autostarting of dm, and after the system boots up you look at a login screen, who is the owner of that process?  Isn't it root?  I know systemd would fabricate all kinds of users to do all kinds of stuff, strange users would log in and out all the time, and you just had faith systemd knew what it was doing.  Without systemd there fewer of us on the system to be doing weird things.  ....

I must be missing some major piece of unix knowledge, but I have yet to see a task or service or daemon run without an owner/user.

Meanwhile I read today a bug was found in bluez that anyone with knowledge of it could use a simple bluetooth devise and snatch all your encrypted keys.  Is that a bug?  Let me open a bug because it is getting stuffy in this room.
I have yet to seriously use a bluetooth device.  Once I did to transfer some pictures from a phone to be mailed and took the damn thing off again.  Once!

Board footer