You are not logged in.
Pages: 1
Thanks to @frz07 and to @rbit for the suggestion to use udevadm, which works for me as well ![]()
Specifically, I applied @rbit 's suggestion:
udevadm hwdb --update
service eudev restartWhich is much easier than creating a new udev rule! ![]()
(I guess that tagging users isn't enabled in FluxBB?)
Just to provide some more info:
As su, I see:
# scanimage -L
device `genesys:libusb:001:003' is a Canon LiDE 210 flatbed scannerAs an ordinary user, I see:
$ scanimage -L
No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).Hi,
I also have a CanoScan LiDE 210, and I'm experiencing the same problem as you on Devuan Excalibur (since yesterday). (I had performed a fresh install of Devuan Excalibur.)
I haven't yet looked into how to update the udev rules so that the scanner will work for an ordinary user. Do you know if there's a specific recommendation for this?
Thanks. Ah, okay, I see, so in general, it would seem preferable to use -t, which means that I've been doing it wrong. :-(
Just to qualify this statement (that I made), I guess that there are situations where you would want to install package X from backports while minimizing other changes to your existing setup, in which case
apt-get install X/beowulf-backportswould be the better strategy. However, the risk with this strategy (as I found out), particularly if X has a number of dependencies, is that one of the dependencies (which is not installed from backports) is too old or isn't fully compatible with X from backports.
This is why the safest strategy would be to install X from backports using
apt-get -t beowulf-backports install XFrom the man page:
-t, --target-release, --default-release
This option controls the default input to the policy engine; it creates a default pin at priority 990 using the specified release string.Using /beowulf-backports doesn't change the default release so APT can only attempt to draw the dependencies from beowulf.
apt install roundcube/beowulf-backports roundcube-core/beowulf-backports roundcube-mysql/beowulf-backports
Thanks. Ah, okay, I see, so in general, it would seem preferable to use -t, which means that I've been doing it wrong. :-(
I can install emacs
That's just a metapackage. Try
apt install -s emacs-nox/beowulf-backports
At the same time, the emacs metapackage did pull in the intended emacs version (27.1) from backports, which is why I thought that
apt-get install emacs/beowulf-backportsdid what I thought that it did. In other words, in the case of emacs,
apt-get install emacs/beowulf-backportsseemed to me to do what
apt-get -t beowulf-backports install emacswould have done (but it probably didn't do exactly the same thing after all).
What about sharing the entire /usr directory? To what extent can the systems differ, or must they be packageclones of each other?
I wouldn't do it, at least not with /usr, and especially not with two different distributions.
On my setup, I have an ad hoc partition /data that is shared by two distributions, but of course, neither of the two distributions touches this directory.
The context: a fresh installation of Devuan Beowulf, the backports repository is activated.
For example, I can install emacs from backports unproblematically using the following command:
apt-get install emacs/beowulf-backportsSuppose that I follow the same strategy to install roundcube from backports:
apt-get install roundcube/beowulf-backportsThis results in an error message saying that roundcube can't be installed because one of its dependencies, roundcube-core, can't be installed, which puzzles me.
However, if I try to install roundcube from backports using the command
apt-get -t beowulf-backports install roundcubethen it works!
Does anyone know why there is this difference?
Pages: 1