The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#251 2018-05-05 12:22:14

GNUser

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

My ASCII+MATE installation also started out as Miyo linux. I've used lightdm, slim, and startx; boot/login time for all of them is about the same (12 seconds; note that I have a SSD).

The bit about login time being shorter when mouse is moved around is very strange. The only process I can think of which is faster when mouse is moved is entropy generation. It wouldn't hurt to install haveged and see if it helps.

Last edited by GNUser (2018-05-08 20:44:12)

#252 2018-05-05 12:43:25

MiyoLinux

I'm actually kind'a enjoying this Mate desktop. Go figure... smile

For fun, I installed LightDM and switched to it. It has one issue; in that, when choosing "Restart" from the Shutdown menu in Mate, it only goes back to the login screen. I then had to use the Restart option there to restart the computer.

So...

Instead of trying to figure that out, I switched back to Slim. tongue

LOL!

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#253 2018-05-05 13:50:24

Ron

I'll try an OS reinstall without deleting anything. But I won't be able to get to it until late tonight. Will post results back later tonight.

#254 2018-05-05 15:24:50

MiyoLinux

Ron wrote:

I'll try an OS reinstall without deleting anything. But I won't be able to get to it until late tonight. Will post results back later tonight.

Thanks for hanging in there Ron. I really wish that we could figure this out without a reinstall, but I'm not sure what else to do.

After playing around with Mate (and display managers), I decided to pull out the big guns and remove the other stock Miyo items...to see what effect that may possibly cause. After doing so, I still haven't experienced the delay that you described. When you reinstall...try doing what I did...

1. Install the package mate-desktop-environment

2. Remove openbox

3. See how things work for you after that. Try a few logouts and reboots. If everything seems good, then remove the remaining items...

Here's everything I removed afterwards...

lxtask
lxinput
lxrandr
leafpad
lxterminal
obsession
lxappearance
lxappearance-obconf
xfce4-power-manager
xfce4-power-manager-data
nitrogen
tint2
gmrun
gsimplecal
udevil
spacefm

4. After removing those, run the following command in your terminal...

sudo apt autoremove

5. ...and then fix the Slim login screen to meet your preference of booting straight into the password screen...

Good luck!

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#255 2018-05-06 02:49:45

Ron

Just reinstalled Ascii. I'm still getting the long login time even before I have done anything with it (logged in twice so far). I don't remember this happening when I first installed Ascii (I mean before the changes I had made). I'm stumped on this. I guess I'll just have to wait for an updated Ascii in the future. Unless anyone has any ideas.

If I wipe the partition Ascii is on, and consolidate it back onto the Jessie partition, will that mess up the grub boot loader? If so, how would I fix it?

Last edited by Ron (2018-05-06 15:51:25)

#256 2018-05-06 06:50:58

wdq
Website

What i would do is press E on grub remove the " quiet " and see when it boot where it hangs or what error spits out .

Just a simple man!

#257 2018-05-06 14:24:30

Ron

wdq wrote:

What i would do is press E on grub remove the " quiet " and see when it boot where it hangs or what error spits out .

The problem is not during the boot. It's during the login to the OS.

#258 2018-05-06 15:39:54

Ron

Adding haveged as GNUser suggested seems to have fixed the problem (thanks GNUser!). Is this installed by default on Jessie?

Last edited by Ron (2018-05-06 15:50:35)

#259 2018-05-06 17:22:28

MiyoLinux

That's good news! Indeed...thank you GNUser.  Might should add that to the Miyo Wiki in case others are experiencing that problem.

I saw another post about opening a file as administrator in Mate's file manager, but it's gone now? If you already solved it, great going!

If not, you'll need to install the following package...

mate-desktop-environment-extras

After installing that, the option to open as administrator appeared and worked.

#260 2018-05-06 17:39:58

Ron

MiyoLinux wrote:

I saw another post about opening a file as administrator in Mate's file manager, but it's gone now? If you already solved it, great going!

I removed the post because I figured it out.  I compared the caja packages I had installed between Jessis and Ascii, and installed the ones I had in Jessie but was missing in Ascii. That gave me the "open as administrator" option back. Thank you for your help.

So, now Ascii appears to be running just fine on my system. If I have anymore problems I will post here again. By the way, I switched back to slim. Both slim and lightdm worked fine as long as I have haveged installed. (Thanks once again to GNUser.)

#261 2018-05-06 18:40:02

MiyoLinux

Great!

Hey...if you decide you'd like to switch back to LightDM for any reason, let me know, and I'll tell you how to make your name show so that all you need to do is fill in your password in LightDM.

#262 2018-05-06 18:51:54

devuser

GNUser wrote:

The bit about login time being shorter when mouse is moved around is very strange. The only process I can think of which is faster when mouse is moved is entropy generation.

Wow, getting from the mouse weirdness to entropy generation is seriously great thinking imo!

#263 2018-05-06 19:45:48

Ron

MiyoLinux wrote:

Hey...if you decide you'd like to switch back to LightDM for any reason, let me know, and I'll tell you how to make your name show so that all you need to do is fill in your password in LightDM.

LightDM looks better to me, so I would appreciated the instructions.

Also, there is another very minor issue I come across. I like to have a startup sound, and this is what I did to get one in Jessie (I got this from my Mint days):

Enable login sound on Mate:

Go to Startup Applications and click "Add." Fill in the following:

Name: GNOME Login Sound
Command: paplay /usr/share/sounds/stereo/xxxx.ogg
Comment: Plays a sound whenever you log in

To test sound in terminal, run:

paplay /usr/share/sounds/stereo/xxxx.ogg

But this doesn't work in Ascii. I did some research and it seems the reason is because PulseAudio isn't installed in Ascii. So is there a way to get a login sound without installing PulseAudio? Thanks.

#264 2018-05-06 19:59:13

Ron

Never mind about the login sound. I found out how to fix it. I just changed paplay to aplay. smile Lucky guess!

#265 2018-05-06 20:52:04

MiyoLinux

Good going on the startup sound. smile  I wasn't sure if alsa would play an .ogg file...I know it will play .wav files.

For LightDM to show your name so that you only need to enter your password...I'll use leafpad in the command. I can't remember the text editor in Mate, but you can substitute it for leafpad in the command...

1. Open the terminal, and enter...

sudo leafpad /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

2. When the file opens, scroll barely over half-way down until you see the following section under [Seat:*]...if you enable line numbers, it's line 86.

[Seat:*]
#type=xlocal
#pam-service=lightdm
#pam-autologin-service=lightdm-autologin
#pam-greeter-service=lightdm-greeter
#xserver-command=X
#xmir-command=Xmir
#xserver-config=
#xserver-layout=
#xserver-allow-tcp=false
#xserver-share=true
#xserver-hostname=
#xserver-display-number=
#xdmcp-manager=
#xdmcp-port=177
#xdmcp-key=
#unity-compositor-command=unity-system-compositor
#unity-compositor-timeout=60
#greeter-session=example-gtk-gnome
#greeter-hide-users=false

I didn't include that whole section. The item you want to change is the last one in the code above...line number 105.

3. Remove the # from in front of greeter-hide-users=false

4. Save the file, close it, and reboot. It won't work with just a logout/login.

The first time you reach the login screen after doing this, it will show Other as the username. Just click it to choose your name instead. It will show your name at the login screen from then on.

#266 2018-05-08 02:38:45

MiyoLinux

GNUser wrote:

It wouldn't hurt to install haveged and see if it helps.

I just want to thank GNUser for giving Ron (and others) this fix. As I said in an ealier post, I should add this to the MiyoLinux Wiki on Sourceforge...which I've done...with all credit given to GNUser. Thank you sir.

https://sourceforge.net/p/miyolinux/wiki/Login%20Delay/

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-05-08 02:39:43)

#267 2018-05-08 02:47:59

golinux
Administrator

I just saw a post about that over on FDN.

#268 2018-05-08 03:00:14

MiyoLinux

Sorry...

FDN?

#269 2018-05-08 03:17:33

GNUser

Glad I could help. It was a lucky guess.

Being paranoid about privacy, I've had to wiggle the mouse plenty of times to help gpg generate key pairs, but then I installed haveged and my mouse wiggling days were over smile

Last edited by GNUser (2018-05-08 03:22:07)

#270 2018-05-08 03:21:24

MiyoLinux

GNUser wrote:

Being paranoid about privacy, I've had to wiggle the mouse plenty of times while waiting for gpg to generate key pairs, but then I installed haveged and my mouse wiggling days were over smile

GNUser...please check your email associated with your account here...PLEASE. smile

#271 2018-05-08 03:46:18

MiyoLinux

MiyoLinux wrote:
GNUser wrote:

Being paranoid about privacy, I've had to wiggle the mouse plenty of times while waiting for gpg to generate key pairs, but then I installed haveged and my mouse wiggling days were over smile

GNUser...please check your email associated with your account here...PLEASE. smile

Thank you GNUser! smile

#272 2018-05-08 04:06:26

golinux
Administrator

MiyoLinux wrote:

Sorry...

FDN?

forums.debian.net

Here's the post that mentions haveged:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? … 4&p=672747

#273 2018-05-08 04:28:36

MiyoLinux

golinux wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

Sorry...

FDN?

forums.debian.net

Here's the post that mentions haveged:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? … 4&p=672747

Ah...should'a known! Thank you!

In perusing that thread, I see someone is still having a problem with a Sony Vaio...which I'm using...glad I'm not affected by it! tongue

#274 2018-05-10 23:52:41

MiyoLinux

Out of curiosity, I've tried making a Miyo Beowulf in two separate ways. Mainly, I wanted to test regaining the menu if a user upgrades to Beowulf.

1. Tried creating a Miyo from plain Beowulf. Got it working, but lots of problems to deal with since Beowulf is still early in development.
2. Tried upgrading a MiyoLinux ASCII to Beowulf. Things went much better; as mentioned in the release notes, it hasn't been tested (until now), and I lost the right-click menu, but it was quickly working again with running the following command...

sudo cpanm Linux::DesktopFiles

The main problem...which I haven't taken the time to try and figure out...is the Shutdown menu. It doesn't work...it only shows Logout and Cancel at this point. I did try several different things without success. The only way that I could reboot or shutdown was from the terminal or logging out and using Slim.

So...

If anyone decides that they want to dist-upgrade MiyoLinux from ASCII to Beowulf, be prepared for breakage. I would advise against it at this time...unless you're willing to suffer the consequences. LOLOLOL! tongue

#275 2018-05-18 05:04:49

MiyoLinux

Miyo-Awesome coming soon??? smile

Utilizes the Awesome Window Manager and all of its stinkin' awesomeness...because it's stinkin' awesome 'n stuff... LOLOLOL!!! tongue

Click to enlarge...

awesomeness.png?1526619433

Board footer