The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-03 07:27:51

fanfoue70

cannot get VLC hardware acceleration under Ascii/Raspberry Pi 3

Hello,
I've recompiled VLC for Ascii ARM64 on RPi but cannot get image when using -vout omxil_vout.
I also tried under Jessie/arm64 with the same issue : "video output creation failed".
I roughly followed the procedure here : https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/tutoria … ax-il/3585
Could the maintainer add these compilation options please ?

--enable-omxil --enable-omxil-vout --enable-rpi-omxil --disable-mmal-codec --disable-mmal-vout

Thanks !
Devuan is a great distribution, and it would gain visibility if multimedia apps like VLC or Omxplayer where included and using HW acceleration (a lot of people use RPi as a multimedia station). I see a lot of tutos explaining how to compile VLC for Pi, wouldn't it save time and energy to people to have these 2 apps in the distrib ? I can help but I need help, too.

#2 2018-05-03 16:17:50

golinux
Administrator

Re: cannot get VLC hardware acceleration under Ascii/Raspberry Pi 3

fanfoue70 wrote:

--enable-omxil --enable-omxil-vout --enable-rpi-omxil --disable-mmal-codec --disable-mmal-vout

Devuan does not maintain VLC if that's what you're assuming.  I don't know whether Debian touches it or whether it comes directly from VLC.  You could always recompile it yourself.

#3 2018-05-03 17:36:50

devuser

golinux wrote:
fanfoue70 wrote:

Devuan does not maintain VLC if that's what you're assuming.  I don't know whether Debian touches it or whether it comes directly from VLC.  You could always recompile it yourself.

True but i guess Debian still decides what options to pass to configure and not just uses defaults though. Anyways in my opinion the most pragmatic approach would be to build a package with the proposed changes and host it at a custom repo (kinda like the old debian multimedia repo) first. If it proves popular and gets a positive response it's likely easier to get it considered for inclusion in the official repos.

Slightly offtopic: If there's enough people wanting to build packages maybe it's worth considering to start a community repo or even some site providing something like Ubuntu's ppas.

#4 2018-05-03 18:12:33

golinux
Administrator

devuser wrote:
golinux wrote:
fanfoue70 wrote:

Anyways in my opinion the most pragmatic approach would be to build a package with the proposed changes and host it at a custom repo (kinda like the old debian multimedia repo) first.

Pragmatic for whom?  Certainly not Devuan as we have our hands more than full.  Besides, there is already a process where "improved" and new packages can move from experimental to testing to the main repo.   If you want to offer a new, forked or altered Devuan/Debian package, work on it at git.devuan.org.  For packaging instructions, please read about the d1h packaging helper.  And be prepared to maintain it for future releases.

#5 2018-05-03 18:27:21

GNUser

fanfoue70 wrote:

I've recompiled VLC for Ascii ARM64 on RPi but cannot get image when using -vout omxil_vout.

How are you compiling? If from upstream non-debianized source code, your custom VLC may be much more different from our repository version than you think, which possibly may account for failure to produce video.

Here are my personal notes on building a .deb from debianized source code. Forgive me if you already know all this. If you do it this way, your custom package is virtually guaranteed to differ from our repository version only in what you change.

$ sudo apt-get install build-essential dpkg-dev fakeroot

make sure /etc/apt/sources.list has at least one deb-src line
(e.g., deb-src http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged/ ascii main)

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get build-dep vlc

$ apt-get source vlc

edit source code to taste

$ cd vlc-<version>

$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc
(if this step complains about "missing upstream tarball", add -b flag)  

Sorry I can't be helpful in specifics. Graphics are not my forte.

Last edited by GNUser (2018-05-03 20:39:24)

#6 2018-05-03 18:32:39

devuser

golinux wrote:
devuser wrote:
golinux wrote:

Anyways in my opinion the most pragmatic approach would be to build a package with the proposed changes and host it at a custom repo (kinda like the old debian multimedia repo) first.

Pragmatic for whom?  Certainly not Devuan as we have our hands more than full.

Sorry, i did not want to imply the Devuan team should do the work but the person interested in providing the package.

golinux wrote:

Besides, there is already a process where "improved" and new packages can move from experimental to testing to the main repo.
If you want to offer a new, forked or altered Devuan/Debian package, work on it at git.devuan.org.  For packaging instructions, please read about the d1h packaging helper.  And be prepared to maintain it for future releases.

That's pretty much where i saw room for pragmatism. Setting the official adoption in motion is something i'd try to avoid before gauging interest/response/stability. If it turns out non optimal that approach would result in the least amount of time wasted for everyone or am i missing something there?

As far as i am concerned i'd probably keep hosting my packages at a custom repo anyways unless there is a huge demand and i can see myself doing a proper job at maintaining it.

#7 2018-05-03 18:33:05

golinux
Administrator

FYI, this is the classic how-to for building Debian packages:

HowTo Build a Package from Source the Smart Way

#8 2018-05-03 19:56:32

siva

devuser wrote:

i'd probably keep hosting my packages at a custom repo anyways unless there is a huge demand

If you believe it's worth sharing and people will benefit, then share it.  smile

My experience with Linux is that there are a lot of small projects people have that go unadvertised, so people end up basically recreating it, because they have no idea that someone already made it.

I think it would also be worthwhile posting your query on the Raspberry Pi forums, since arm64 is your target architecture.

Last edited by siva (2018-05-03 19:56:45)

#9 2018-05-03 22:39:54

devuser

siva wrote:
devuser wrote:

i'd probably keep hosting my packages at a custom repo anyways unless there is a huge demand

If you believe it's worth sharing and people will benefit, then share it.  smile

Well, i am not the OP (sorry for the confusion) and i don't even own a Pi so sadly nothing to share for me here. I am actually thinking about packaging some desktop tools but they aren't yet in a state where i'd feel comfortable releasing them.

Edit: I'll stay out of this thread now since i feel i am derailing it.

Last edited by devuser (2018-05-03 22:42:48)

#10 2018-05-04 00:00:01

siva

Sorry, I misinterpreted what you meant.  I don't think you're derailing the thread; your comment provided a legitimate solution.  And I stand by my advice.  ^_^

#11 2018-05-07 09:43:10

fanfoue70

GNUser wrote:
fanfoue70 wrote:

How are you compiling? If from upstream non-debianized source code, your custom VLC may be much more different from our repository version than you think, which possibly may account for failure to produce video.

Here are my personal notes on building a .deb from debianized source code. Forgive me if you already know all this. If you do it this way, your custom package is virtually guaranteed to differ from our repository version only in what you change.

$ sudo apt-get install build-essential dpkg-dev fakeroot

make sure /etc/apt/sources.list has at least one deb-src line
(e.g., deb-src http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged/ ascii main)

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get build-dep vlc

$ apt-get source vlc

edit source code to taste

$ cd vlc-<version>

$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc
(if this step complains about "missing upstream tarball", add -b flag)  

Sorry I can't be helpful in specifics. Graphics are not my forte.

Thank you for your help.
That's what I've tried before, but I must say that I want to compile VLC in a chrooted qemu-ed image, since I want to save my SD card (avoid lots of writes that could shorten its lifetime). Sadly, the compilation crashes with a core dump.
I'll try to submit my problem of making VLC work in an ARM64 environment to the VLC forum.

Board footer