The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-24 21:41:20

jakecheslekov

Devuan ARM64 how to install correct headers or change kernel

Hello my fellow VUA's! I'm learning the ARM64 architecture right now on a Raspberry Pi 3B - just testing it out for fun at the moment, I was wondering how I can either

A) install the correct headers for the current kernel, or
B) change kernels & then get the headers installed.

I've got a 2.4GHz 300MBPS WiFi USB with an extended +8 DBi antenna I'd like to use for broadcasting a 2.4GHz wireless network, its an RTL8192EU so I have to compile the driver from the github.com/mange/rtl8192eu-linux-driver page & I use the little script Oblique made on GitHub, github.com/oblique/create_ap

I've already installed Devuan ARM64 via the TAR.GZ using the ArchLinux instructions, so that way I could make the BOOT drive much bigger, so it has enough room now for another kernel.

I can't compile the driver for the WiFi USB unless I actually have the right headers for the kernel I'm using, I do not see any headers for my current kernel in APT so I figure I have to somehow make it use a different kernel, I'm new to this u-boot thing & new to ARM devices(except android phones/tablets), how can I do this?  What is my best route to do what I'd like to do? Why isn't there a headers package in APT for the current kernel?

Last edited by jakecheslekov (2018-02-24 21:44:02)

#2 2018-02-24 23:20:07

golinux
Administrator

Re: Devuan ARM64 how to install correct headers or change kernel

jakecheslekov wrote:

Hello my fellow VUA's!

Time for a history lesson which I'm sure will benefit many on this forum.  Very few of those who use Devuan have ever interacted with the Veteran Unix Administrators who were responsible for initiating the Debian fork.  The VUAs are a collective of skilled system admins - I once heard about 800 - based in Northern ltaly.  Here is a history of that group.  (Now I won't have to go searching for that link ever again . . .)

#3 2018-02-25 00:48:54

jakecheslekov

golinux wrote:
jakecheslekov wrote:

Hello my fellow VUA's!

Time for a history lesson which I'm sure will benefit many on this forum.  Very few of those who use Devuan have ever interacted with the Veteran Unix Administrators who were responsible for initiating the Debian fork.  The VUAs are a collective of skilled system admins - I once heard about 800 - based in Northern ltaly.  Here is a history of that group.  (Now I won't have to go searching for that link ever again . . .)

I was referring to devuan users in general, didn't want to go so deep with it, vua is what separates devuan from debian... aaaanyways. I'm curious about how this 'u-boot' works, how does one upgrade a kernel? APT doesn't want to allow it to install. Great job though giving us a .tar.gz for the RPi 3! I like that a lot!

#4 2018-02-25 01:09:19

golinux
Administrator

That attitude will not gain points here.  We have a history that should not be blown off and rewritten.  "VUA" does not and never will refer to Devuan users in general.  A VUA would be answering not asking your question (but they don't hang out on this forum often so not much chance of that).

Board footer