The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-29 00:18:12

inukaze

Discussion About - Software should be came by Default

Hi there. just a few days i had installed Devuan, in a Venezuelan netbook, knows like "Canaimita" model "mg101a3", and inside virtualbox. i notice some things like default software and another things.

when i try to put the iso on usb stick : with dd the "Live" isos, can't boot (i try with 8 different usb, and same result, checking the boot flag with gparted), with rufus can boot. rufus prefer by default fat32. and with this the symbolic links don't work. analysing the folder structure of installer iso. i think some changes should be made

ISORoot/firmware
ISORoot/firmware/amd64-microcode_2.20160316.1~deb8u1_amd64.deb		-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/a/amd64-microcode/amd64-microcode_2.20160316.1~deb8u1_amd64.deb
ISORoot/firmware/atmel-firmware_1.3-4_all.deb				-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/a/atmel-firmware/atmel-firmware_1.3-4_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/bluez-firmware_1.2-3_all.deb				-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/b/bluez-firmware/bluez-firmware_1.2-3_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/dahdi-firmware-nonfree_2.10.0-1_all.deb		-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/d/dahdi-firmware/dahdi-firmware-nonfree_2.10.0-1_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/firmware-adi_0.43_all.deb				-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-adi_0.43_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/firmware-atheros_0.43_all.deb				-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-atheros_0.43_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/firmware-bnx2_0.43_all.deb				-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-bnx2_0.43_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/firmware-bnx2x_0.43_all.deb				-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-bnx2x_0.43_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/firmware-brcm80211_0.43_all.deb			-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-brcm80211_0.43_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/firmware-crystalhd_0.0~git20120110.fdd2f19-1_all.deb	-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/f/firmware-crystalhd/firmware-crystalhd_0.0~git20120110.fdd2f19-1_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/firmware-intelwimax_0.43_all.deb			-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-intelwimax_0.43_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/firmware-ipw2x00_0.43_all.deb				-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-ipw2x00_0.43_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/firmware-ivtv_0.43_all.deb				-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-ivtv_0.43_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/firmware-iwlwifi_0.43_all.deb				-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-iwlwifi_0.43_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/firmware-libertas_0.43_all.deb				-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-libertas_0.43_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/firmware-linux-free_3.3_all.deb			-> ../pool/DEBIAN/main/f/firmware-free/firmware-linux-free_3.3_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/firmware-linux-nonfree_0.43_all.deb			-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-linux-nonfree_0.43_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/firmware-myricom_0.43_all.deb				-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-myricom_0.43_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/firmware-netxen_0.43_all.deb				-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-netxen_0.43_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/firmware-qlogic_0.43_all.deb				-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-qlogic_0.43_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/firmware-ralink_0.43_all.deb				-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-ralink_0.43_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/firmware-realtek_0.43_all.deb				-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-realtek_0.43_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/firmware-samsung_0.43_all.deb				-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-samsung_0.43_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/firmware-ti-connectivity_0.43_all.deb			-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-ti-connectivity_0.43_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/firmware-zd1211_3.0.0.56-3_all.deb			-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/z/zd1211-firmware/firmware-zd1211_3.0.0.56-3_all.deb
ISORoot/firmware/libertas-firmware_9.70.7.p0.0-2_all.deb		-> ../pool/DEBIAN/non-free/libe/libertas-firmware/libertas-firmware_9.70.7.p0.0-2_all.deb
ISORoot/isolinux
ISORoot/debian								-> .
ISORoot/pool
ISORoot/pics
ISORoot/install.amd
ISORoot/install
ISORoot/efi
ISORoot/dists
ISORoot/dists/stable							-> jessie
ISORoot/css
ISORoot/boot
ISORoot/setup.exe
ISORoot/g2ldr
ISORoot/md5sum.txt
ISORoot/README.html
ISORoot/g2ldr.mbr
ISORoot/README.txt
ISORoot/win32-loader.ini
ISORoot/autorun.inf

i think the installer should be use the file directly without symbolic links. specially when the users need to put in a fat32 usb. i don't know if fat32 supports hard links. because when i put on usb stick using Rufus USB, the symbolic links are converted to text files of 0 Bytes, and the result its the installer don't install drivers like : Ethernet, wifi, or another's detected during the process.

on Canamita :
The Lives isos, too much times stuck near the finish of installation, or its installed complete, can't boot from grub entry.
The Installer isos, in Graphical Install, the trackpad don't work, just keyboard. the Text install works fine.

After the installation i think the file /etc/apt/sources.list, came by default something similar to this :

# Devuan - Pre-compile Binary/Executable Repositories :
deb http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie			main contrib non-free	# Applications
deb http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie-security		main contrib non-free	# Security
deb http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie-updates		main contrib non-free	# Updates / Upgrades

# Devuan - Source Code Repositories for use by "apt-build"
#SRC#deb-src http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie		main contrib non-free	# Applications
#SRC#deb-src http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie-security	main contrib non-free	# Security
#SRC#deb-src http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie-updates	main contrib non-free	# Updates / Upgrades

i think the source code repositories commented by default, because too many uses don't uses the apt-build tool for automatic compilation of available software of that repositories

The fresh installation of installer iso came with Xfce by default but don't came with things i consider necessaries :

* network-manager-gnome				->	Network Manager Applet 100% Compatible with GTK2 Desktops like : Xfce4.12 & LXDE
* libgksu2-dev gksu				->	Libs(+development files) & Graphical allow asking the SuperUser password
* synaptic					->	Package Manager
* xfce4-terminal libvte-common libvte9		->	Command Line Interface Emulator / Terminal Emulator
* unrar-free un{zip,ar,ace,shield}		->	De/Compressor(s) CLI Tools
* engrampa					->	Graphical Manager for Compressed files
* Firefox ESR or Midori	or Seamonkey		->	Graphical Web Browser or Graphical Internet Suite {Browser, Mail, Composer, etc}
* links2					->	Textual Web Browser, in Native CLI (ttys) can support access to framebuffer (just launch "links -g") you can see images of webs
* gpm						->	Mouse Pointer (must enabled by default) for Native CLI
* mc						->	File Manager for CLI, supports a lot of functions
* joe						->	Text editor for CLI
* medit						->	Graphical Text editor, support some coloured syntaxes
* viewnior					->	Lightweight Image Viewer, support Animations, and svg format
* SMPlayer and/or VLC				->	Multimedia Player
* qpdfview					->	Lightweight PDF Viewer, support of PostScript and/or DjVU can be installed by plug-ins.
* galculator					->	Calculator
* xfce4-clipman					->	Lightweight clipboard manager
* xfce4-screenshooter				->	Tool for make Screenshots
* sdl1.2(-dev), sdl2(-dev)			->	Simple Directmedia Layer, too many software requires not just games. and all libraries, and devs, not ocalm, perl, or related to another software.
* pasystray					->	PulseAudio Tray Icon. very simple and useful
* mdm or lxdm					->	Mate Display Manager (gdm2 fork) or Lxde Display Manager, with UserList enable by default. can put a Devuan Theme/Background to be the default art. yes instead use slim.
* build-essential, intltool-debian, automake	->	Tools for manual compilation
* xfwm4-themes					->	Themes for the default Xfce Window Manager
* gtk2-engines{-murrine,-nodoka,-qtcurve}	->	Just the engines, remove the dependencies of "-themes" packages. the "oxygen" i don't recomend because ever theme is activated too many times when you try to change, don't works well and must delete the configuration files like ~/.gtkrc-2.0, for work the another themes again.
* libavcodec-extra-56, vorbis{gain,-tools}	->	Codecs & Tools for vorbis formats
* esekeyd, python-mmkeys			->	Support for multimedia keyboards
* libnotify-bin, xfce4-notifyd			->	Notification Daemon for Xfce4

[ Below can be optional, but i like came too ]

* Gimp						->	Image Editor by Pixels
* Inkscape					->	Image Editor by Vectors
* redshift					->	Nocturnal Red Screen Filter [Disabled by default, the user should configure geoclue first]
* xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin			->	Allow put QuickLaunchers inside the xfce4-panel
* mate-system-monitor				->	Tool for check resources/processes usage
* masalla-icons,numix-icons			->	This are not on the repositories
* audacious + audacious-plugins			->	Audio Player

if the network-manager-gnome (nm-applet) is installed by default the file /etc/network/interfaces, should be :

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

for the applet manage the connections. another thing i think during the installation process, when the file /etc/default/grub copy or created/generated. should ask if put maximum detected resolution or select resolution for a list to set the follow variables for example

GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768x32
  GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep
  GRUB_BACKGROUND="/boot/images/DevuanGrub.png"

and put "Devuan" in the menuentry, like "EXE GNU/Linux" says "Devuan" on Grub menuentries. in this case my monitor supports 1440x900@60Hz, but i don't like that resolution because from 2004 i ever uses Linux distributions and GNU/Linux distributions more for use videogames.

well i don't know how i can make a poll inside a thread, for another, just active a box with the software consider should came by default on the installation too

Last edited by inukaze (2018-01-29 10:14:40)

#2 2018-01-29 00:40:17

cynwulf

Re: Discussion About - Software should be came by Default

inukaze wrote:

for the applet manage the connections. another thing i think during the installation process, when the file /etc/default/grub copy or created/generated. should ask if put maximum detected resolution or select resolution for a list to set the follow variables for example

GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768x32
  GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep
  GRUB_BACKGROUND="/boot/images/DevuanGrub.png"

and put "Devuan" in the menuentry, like "EXE GNU/Linux" says "Devuan" on Grub menuentries. in this case my monitor supports 1440x900@60Hz, but i don't like that resolution because from 2004 i ever uses Linux distributions and GNU/Linux distributions more for use videogames.

Sounds like stuff you could just configure yourself, according to your personal preferences/hardware...?

Bear in mind that there are other bootloaders, such as lilo - i.e. a simple bootloader of about 600kB (most of which is in fact bitmaps and man pages) which installs and loads entirely from the DOS mbr, not over 20MB of fancy, self indulgent, complex crap.  So it doesn't seem to make much sense to invest so much in customising one particular bootloader to a particular subset of hardware which might break things for certain users.

Amazingly the BSDs managed to come up with simple EFI bootloaders once there was a need for that, but still Linux distributions are still pushing this same "kitchen sink" solution (sound familiar?).

#3 2018-01-29 01:39:40

inukaze

cynwulf wrote:

Sounds like stuff you could just configure yourself, according to your personal preferences/hardware...?

Bear in mind that there are other bootloaders, such as lilo - i.e. a simple bootloader of about 600kB (most of which is in fact bitmaps and man pages) which installs and loads entirely from the DOS mbr, not over 20MB of fancy, self indulgent, complex crap.  So it doesn't seem to make much sense to invest so much in customising one particular bootloader to a particular subset of hardware which might break things for certain users.

Amazingly the BSDs managed to come up with simple EFI bootloaders once there was a need for that, but still Linux distributions are still pushing this same "kitchen sink" solution (sound familiar?).

LILO don't evers works fine with all distribution installation, grub ever works where LILO evers fail.
the size of grub is near 3 MB installed. add just an aditional png of 8 bits (256 colours) non-indexed.

Just occupy just a few more mb, just if the image are in multiple resolutions like 320x240 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1152x768 , etc. a simple image can be very lightweight. 

i think is better idea is put a image in png (for example 7168x5376 its simple the size can be near 500 KBs) format and use convert to ajust resolution before put in the /boot/images/ folder, with the desired resolution.

using the follow command convert and parameters
"convert -colors <bpp> <path/to/source.png> -resize <Resolution> <path/to/output.png>"

for example

convert -colors 256 /isolinux/splash.png -resize 1024x768 /boot/images/DevuanGrub.png

The Debian Jessie installer, looks like do something like that, for put the grub background. you can try installing debian jessian on a virtual machine. when the installation is finished, and the machine is restarted the grub have a simple background image, and the is much less than 20MB.

i had installed and configure FreeBSD, GhostBSD and PCBSD. but here on venezuela, i don't have test a machine with EFI yet. and that "kitchen sink" solution, is not familiar for me.

#4 2018-01-29 12:06:18

cynwulf

inukaze wrote:

LILO don't evers works fine with all distribution installation, grub ever works where LILO evers fail.
the size of grub is near 3 MB installed. add just an aditional png of 8 bits (256 colours) non-indexed.

Nonsense.  Slackware still uses lilo, it's tried and tested software (like sysvinit).

inukaze wrote:

The Debian Jessie installer, looks like do something like that, for put the grub background. you can try installing debian jessian on a virtual machine. when the installation is finished, and the machine is restarted the grub have a simple background image, and the is much less than 20MB.

Just two of the numerous dependencies:

https://packages.debian.org/sid/grub-common - Installed size: 16,038.0 kB
https://packages.debian.org/sid/grub-pc-bin - Installed size: 2,910.0 kB

So where exactly does your "3MB" come from?

LILO:

https://packages.debian.org/sid/lilo - Installed size: 693.0 kB

syslinux:

https://packages.debian.org/sid/syslinux - Installed size: 299.0 kB

(and nowhere near the complexity)

A basic lilo configuration can be nothing more than:

boot=/dev/sda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=10
message=/boot/message
lba32
compact
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label=linux
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	read-only
	root=/dev/sda1

Compare that to the numerous grub configs.

But LILO (ELILO) is no longer maintained, mainly because too many Linux distributions prefer the complex idiocy of grub...

Where LILO epitomises simplicity and the KISS principles (UNIX philosophy) - grub is one of the best examples of complexity, bloat and feature creep I've ever seen.  It's garbage, yet everyone is using it...

Last edited by cynwulf (2018-01-29 12:09:32)

#5 2018-01-29 14:34:47

fsmithred
Administrator

I agree that it would be helpful to have synaptic installed by default. From there, you can add whatever else you need without having to go to command line. If you want that whole list included, then what you're really asking for is a DVD, not a CD. All of that will not fit on a CD. Firefox-esr is on the CD and so is firmware. You can install those pretty easily. Mount your usb to /media/cdrom so that apt can find it. Then apt-get install firefox-esr firmware-<whatever>

Of course, if you use a third-party, unsupported usb writer, you're on your own. I don't know what rufus does. Since it uses fat32, I assume it works somewhat like refracta2usb, which you also could use to make the installer usb, and with which you would also have run into serious problems.

The recommended method is to use dd, cp or cat to image the usb. If that didn't work for you, it might make sense to figure out why and correct the situation. And if you do it that way, you will see the nice purple grub background when you boot the installer.

But I will say that your timing is good. Installer isos for ascii are coming soon, and we can look at the package selection for the CD and make some changes (I hope.) I had not looked at the package list for the CD in many months, and I forgot that synaptic is not on the CD at all.

Extlinux (syslinux) works well and is easy to configure. I posted a howto in the Documentation section a few months ago. It's easy to switch back and forth between extlinux and grub, in case you try it and don't like it.

One more thing - it would be better if you did not ask the same questions in multiple threads. Now the information is scattered all over the forum.

#6 2018-01-29 15:26:33

golinux
Administrator

I am responsible for suggesting that software selection discussion be continued elsewhere.  The original thread is here.

#7 2018-01-29 15:56:41

inukaze

cynwulf wrote:

Nonsense.  Slackware still uses lilo, it's tried and tested software (like sysvinit).

i try LILO first on my main pc, and a few days ago i try with a netbook knows "Canaimita" model "a101a3" here on venezuela, and in none of this machines LILO works. never boots from menu entry for me.

cynwulf wrote:

Just two of the numerous dependencies:.

https://packages.debian.org/sid/grub-common - Installed size: 16,038.0 kB
https://packages.debian.org/sid/grub-pc-bin - Installed size: 2,910.0 kB

my bad, i just count the grub-pc package installed on :
Devuan the total grub [grub-pc-bin, grub-pc, grub-common] size are : 17 MB

but in Slackware64 14.2 the total grub size are :

[ installed ] [ 46M ] - grub-2.00-x86_64-5
cynwulf wrote:

LILO:
https://packages.debian.org/sid/lilo - Installed size: 693.0 kB

On Slackware64 14.2 :

[ installed ] [ 620K ] - elilo-3.16-x86_64-2
[ installed ] [ 1.3M ] - lilo-24.2-x86_64-2
cynwulf wrote:

syslinux:

https://packages.debian.org/sid/syslinux - Installed size: 299.0 kB

on Slackware64 14.2 :

[ installed ] [ 2.9M ] - syslinux-4.07-x86_64-1

i trust more on syslinux than syslinux, ever i can, i install syslinux on my USB Stick with Live Distributions.

cynwulf wrote:

[(and nowhere near the complexity)

A basic lilo configuration can be nothing more than:

boot=/dev/sda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=10
message=/boot/message
lba32
compact
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label=linux
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	read-only
	root=/dev/sda1

Compare that to the numerous grub configs.

But LILO (ELILO) is no longer maintained, mainly because too many Linux distributions prefer the complex idiocy of grub...

Where LILO epitomises simplicity and the KISS principles (UNIX philosophy) - grub is one of the best examples of complexity, bloat and feature creep I've ever seen.  It's garbage, yet everyone is using it...

My main pc nevers mantain for example "/dev/sda1" every time i reboot that change to "/dev/sdb1" or "/dev/sdc1" because of that i prefer use UUID.

on the Canaimita, when i install LILO, with generic kernel or huge kernel. when Slackware try to boot just do nothing. with GRUB if i don't use UUID (when i leave device path and partition number like root=/dev/sda3) . the mayor part of time i receive the message

Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0

Except on Slackware64 14.2, on this distribution grub on that point works inverse. just i must edit the line of linux root=/dev/sdX# . for boot the distribution fine. with Devuan + grub with uuid, evers works.

Last edited by inukaze (2018-01-29 15:57:36)

#8 2018-01-29 20:26:08

inukaze

fsmithred wrote:

I agree that it would be helpful to have synaptic installed by default. From there, you can add whatever else you need without having to go to command line.

Yes

fsmithred wrote:

But I will say that your timing is good. Installer isos for ascii are coming soon, and we can look at the package selection for the CD and make some changes (I hope.) I had not looked at the package list for the CD in many months, and I forgot that synaptic is not on the CD at all.

well my list of suggested software is to be more friendly with final users. and when don't want install graphical environment like : Xorg + x11 windows + slim + xfce + etc . . .  and the users just want to make base install. i think its better the distribution came with appropriated software for use without graphical system, with software like : gpm, joe, links2, aptitude, mc, twin (textual window manager)

well i think the twin can be better if some developers can do something "graphical" (is acceded by framebuffer) like "links" when you ran for init level 3 / telinit 3 / runlevel 3 (well Single User, distro depend). and lauch that web-browser with

links -g

its very useful for a system without graphical environment, but twin i don't mention before because i don't consider enough mature yet.

and by this way, i think is a good idea when i want to install devuan in a server. and the sysadmin can add the additional packages needs like : samba, nfs, kerberos, ldap, etc... , with a useful installation can start search with links for example in "graphical" mode, to work more comfortably

fsmithred wrote:

One more thing - it would be better if you did not ask the same questions in multiple threads. Now the information is scattered all over the forum.

GoLinux suggest i do this post.

Last edited by inukaze (2018-01-29 20:26:58)

#9 2018-01-29 21:30:50

cynwulf

inukaze wrote:
cynwulf wrote:

i try LILO first on my main pc, and a few days ago i try with a netbook knows "Canaimita" model "a101a3" here on venezuela, and in none of this machines LILO works. never boots from menu entry for me.

User error / "Finger trouble" / PEBCAK / whatever...  You said you're not using UEFI, therefore I can't see why LILO doesn't work, considering that you must be using a DOS MBR...

inukaze wrote:

My main pc nevers mantain for example "/dev/sda1" every time i reboot that change to "/dev/sdb1" or "/dev/sdc1" because of that i prefer use UUID.

Well you don't prefer it - systemd/udev pretty much determines you use it.  Though in general terms unless you're swapping out disk drives regularly, I can't see why your device nodes are being swapped around so much.

You can also use UUIDs with LILO by the way (lilo.conf(5)).  This is specified in the root= stanza.  Of course it means you doing a little bit more work, reading some man pages and learning new stuff, instead of some bloated "automagic" code doing it all for you.

#10 2018-01-29 21:33:12

golinux
Administrator

inukaze wrote:

Indeed I did.  This discussion topic is better separated from the other issues in that thread. inukaze . . . in the future please keep to only one topic per thread.

#11 2018-01-30 02:04:22

inukaze

cynwulf wrote:

User error / "Finger trouble" / PEBCAK / whatever...  You said you're not using UEFI, therefore I can't see why LILO doesn't work, considering that you must be using a DOS MBR...

exactly i don't use EFI technology, because i don't have access to buy a modern pc. and the reason of that fault i don't know why. but thanks to that limitations i had learn much more searching the alternatives works better for me needs.

cynwulf wrote:

Well you don't prefer it - systemd/udev pretty much determines you use it.  Though in general terms unless you're swapping out disk drives regularly, I can't see why your device nodes are being swapped around so much.

You can also use UUIDs with LILO by the way (lilo.conf(5)).  This is specified in the root= stanza.  Of course it means you doing a little bit more work, reading some man pages and learning new stuff, instead of some bloated "automagic" code doing it all for you.

since 1998 i am learning about this operating system and each piece of software used in each distribution.

i don't like systemd, systemd with my more older hardware, had damage several to bios. on my main pc, some part of hardware, is too much close to be damage because when my pc uses systemd. the temperature is very bad informed, and the overheat is too much, the last time i try use systemd, s2 pins of one of motherboard connector was burned and parts of the wires melted a bit that power supply i replace immediately because don't work anymore. and things similar happends to my with a very old hardware when i try systemd distributions.

with posix system and distributions compatibles with my pcs with init systems like : BSD , runit, openrc, sysvinit, upstart, launchd, SMF, finit, Epoch. i don't had problems like i describe above.

well tomorrow i try LILO with UUID with slackware, for see if works fine. this evening i had try again "generic" and "huge" kernels adding an additional menuentry instead of use

root=/dev/sda3

, i try with

root=UUID=1c07b419-4a08-4326-b4c4-fd9ac9cce46e"

. and i receive again the

"Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)"

when i delete the

UUID=1c07b419-4a08-4326-b4c4-fd9ac9cce46e

, the result is the same. for that i think on slackware the UUID is doing nothing.

#12 2018-01-30 02:24:10

inukaze

golinux wrote:
inukaze wrote:

Indeed I did.  This discussion topic is better separated from the other issues in that thread. inukaze . . . in the future please keep to only one topic per thread.

Yes that is better, and the thread answer should be better if another members follow the main idea put on the title of the post. because i never mention change the bootloader installed by default devuan. i like grub because for me evers works and syslinux too. i just specify the software i consider be better came by default on the installer iso image for final users when the installation is finished. and nobody tell if prefer the devuan developers change the default boot loader for some specific reason.

my reasons for change the default packages, is for make more comfortable and a experience more near to "out-the-box" for the final users, and ready the set most common for final users and intermediate users, because if an intermediate use installing devuan, can decide if install without graphical system. for use for example like in a server, an finished a fresh installation had very useful software like : gpm, mc, links2, joe, nano (this already came), tools for use git and manual compilations.

if a final user the most common behaviour is by default install a graphical system and for example this iso, came with xfce. but don't included synaptic, or a method to connect via wifi (for that on my main pc, i made a virtual machine and do the installation just for download and install the package necessaries for activate the network-manager-gnome applet on xfce and copy to canaimita to get access to internet from that netbook / mini-laptop ) and final user can need a text editor like mooedit / medit, a graphical web browser to begin searchings on internet about how do things on their new operating system devuan.

Board footer