The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-22 05:18:52

jonaspm
Website

[QUESTION] UKUI DE in Devuan?

Hello everyone!
Last year UKUI dev team announced that their Desktop Environment would be included in Debian.

Will UKUI come too to Devuan? Do you like UKUI DE?

Thanks in advance!

#2 2018-01-22 06:52:05

golinux
Administrator

Re: [QUESTION] UKUI DE in Devuan?

Meet The New Linux Desktop Environment Inspired by Windows 7?  Hahahaha!!!

Probably the wrong audience to ask that question.  There is not much love for either Ubuntu or Windows in this camp.  Personally I would NEVER use anything that reminded me of either one.   But I see where that might be an asset for those want turning Linux into a Windows style OS for the drooling masses.

#3 2018-01-22 10:37:20

fungus
Website

Through many funky desktop environments there are themes that simulate the aesthetics of Win XP,vista.7,8,10 and if people like this to adopt from one system to the other I find nothing wrong with them.  The fact that off the start the crappy desktop fork is loaded with systemd, pulse, gnome etc. is enough to not want to know much about it.  If someone finds it important enough to make it systemd-free so it would be functional 100% in Devuan I don't see why that would be bad.

When you hear people saying that without systemd this and that will not work and that is their justification for not wanting to try anything but a systemd based system, then the more that works without it the less of a logical argument those trolls have.

#4 2018-01-22 16:09:50

golinux
Administrator

fungus wrote:

Through many funky desktop environments there are themes that simulate the aesthetics of Win XP,vista.7,8,10 and if people like this to adopt from one system to the other I find nothing wrong with them.

It attracts a certain mindset.  Just look how that has worked out for Debian, Ubuntu etc. - a slow side downhill into a consumer-oriented winland parallel universe.

The fact that off the start the crappy desktop fork is loaded with systemd, pulse, gnome etc. is enough to not want to know much about it.

There was no mention of systemd in that stupid blog.  And there's little that Google could find.  Is this an assumption or fact?

If someone finds it important enough to make it systemd-free so it would be functional 100% in Devuan I don't see why that would be bad.

Why?  We already have Mate.

When you hear people saying that without systemd this and that will not work and that is their justification for not wanting to try anything but a systemd based system, then the more that works without it the less of a logical argument those trolls have.

This troll mentioned nothing of systemd so how could there be an argument about it?

#5 2018-01-22 18:36:37

fungus
Website

#6 2018-01-22 18:53:03

golinux
Administrator

Thanks.  It's obviously a non-starter here.

#7 2018-01-23 16:39:31

jonaspm
Website

Hello guys, I see that UKUI is systemd based... Didn't know that thanks!

In fact, there are many Linux enthusiasts that don't like Windows inspired desktop environments but at the end it depends on the likes of each end user right?

I'm writing from the MATE Desktop and I like it too much, but I think I would feel more comfortable with UKUI smile

Anyways, I am aware that UKUI may never reach Devuan... But I wanted to know what did you think smile

#8 2018-01-23 16:56:26

golinux
Administrator

jonaspm wrote:

Hello guys, I see that UKUI is systemd based... Didn't know that thanks!

If you're promoting an OS how can you or the writer of that blog not know something so basic? I searched for "UKUI systemd" and nothing came up.  fungus dug a little deeper. Users who think like this treat their computer as an APPLIANCE and really don't give a toss what's under the hood.  These are the same mindless users that take whatever MS or UKUI gives them.  Mainstreaming Linux for users like that will be its undoing.

Just FYI . . . an oldie but goodie

#9 2018-01-23 17:33:22

fungus
Website

Just FYI . . . an oldie but goodie

systemd is a trojan. systemd is a medusa. systemd is Substance D.
systemd is scary - not just because it's tools suck, or because it's
a massive fucking hairball - but because architecturally it has way
too much concentrated power. We all need to collectively expel it from
our midst because it will own Linux, and by extension us and our
freedoms. systemd will *be* Linux. Sit idly by and ignore this fact at
all of our collective peril

Very well stated

#10 2018-01-23 19:23:40

jonaspm
Website

Yeah I should have known but there is no need to be rude. I also don't support systemd.

Last edited by jonaspm (2018-01-23 19:23:53)

#11 2018-01-23 20:23:53

golinux
Administrator

If you don't support systemd, why would you be promoting it?  *scratches head*  BTW, "rude" is a personal judgment with no factual basis.

#12 2018-01-23 20:47:06

fungus
Website

I was looking at elive and its promoted desktop, enlightment
Elive was stuck in wheezy land for a long while and finally made it to jessie (I haven't seen any reference to how they accomplished jessie with sysvinit "yet").
Enlightment is some DE that seems to be evolving following wayland development.
Like if gnome wasn't enough .....   enlightment.freedesktop... has a full page .... 

Do you know that kind of feeling where you make the mistake and keep reading about something and somehow you think ... maybe I should take the safety off as I may have gone too far?

#13 2018-01-23 21:25:13

jonaspm
Website

I have read all the messages again and I think there is a mistake... I am not part of UKUI team nor any OS team. I am just an enthusiast who asked a simple question.

I did not write any blog post. (Which one do you refer to?)

If technically talking UKUI is not reliable then I'm ok with MATE or XFCE.

My goal with this forum post was to know a little about Devuan roadmap regarding DEs and your opinion that's all smile

#14 2023-01-08 19:42:48

Wutin

Hey there, as much as people hate necroposters, I feel like it's better to continue the conversation in this post.
Seeing that even GNOME can now be installed through Daedalus netinstall is there any chance we could see UKUI being added as a potential DE for the network install? smile
As far as I can tell it started life as a MATE fork and now it's been rewritten using QT.
It's a pretty lightweight DE and installing it using the instructions for bullseye worked for me without the need for systemd.
Would love to hear if anybody else tried it since then and if there's any interest and hope in adding an option to set up a UKUI Devuan Daedalus.

#15 2023-01-08 21:10:03

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Looking forward to your satisfying merge request for tasksel ...

#16 2023-01-10 13:30:45

Wutin

I never coded or used git in my life, but thanks for pointing me in the direction I should look at to add this.
I imagine it should be like this:
https://git.devuan.org/devuan/tasksel/src/branch/suites/unstable/debian/control

Recommends:
# One of the actual desktop tasks is needed to get a full desktop environment.
# The order here is significant when installing this task manually;
# when tasksel installs this task it instead selects one of these based
# on the tasksel/desktop debconf setting.
#	 task-xfce-desktop | task-kde-desktop | task-lxde-desktop | task-cinnamon-desktop | task-mate-desktop | task-gnome-desktop ,
##	 task-xfce-desktop | task-cinnamon-desktop | task-kde-desktop | task-lxde-desktop | task-lxqt-desktop | task-mate-desktop ,
	 task-xfce-desktop | task-cinnamon-desktop | task-lxde-desktop | task-kde-desktop | task-lxqt-desktop | task-mate-desktop | task-gnome-desktop | task-ukui-desktop

Where task-ukui-desktop would be a full DE installer similar to the rest of them.

Package: task-ukui-desktop
Architecture: all
Description: UKUI
 This task package is used to install the Devuan desktop, featuring
 the UKUI desktop environment, and with other packages that Devuan users
 expect to have available on the desktop.
Depends: ${misc:Depends}, 
	lightdm,
	task-desktop,
	ukui-session-manager,
	ukui-menu,
	ukui-control-center,
	ukui-settings-daemon,
	ukui-window-switch,
	ukui-media,
	ukui-power-manager,
	peony,
	ukui-themes,
	ukui-greeter,
	kylin-display-switch,
	qt5-ukui-platformtheme,
	kylin-nm,
	ukui-wallpapers,
Recommends:
	ukui-sidebar,
	ukui-screensaver,
# libreoffice widgets using just QT
	libreoffice-qt5,
# Package management.
	synaptic,
# libreoffice is the best word processor / office suite at the moment
	libreoffice,
# make help menu work
	libreoffice-help-en-us,
# make thesaurus work
	mythes-en-us,
# make spellchecker work
	hunspell-en-us,
# make hyphenation work
	hyphen-en-us,
# gui for configuration of the print server
	system-config-printer,

Would this suffice and how would it be possible to create a task-ukui-desktop package? smile

Last edited by Wutin (2023-01-10 14:03:26)

#17 2023-01-30 17:06:16

Wutin

I'm still interested in having this available in the netinstall for Daedalus. Please let me know what my actions should be to have it merged and to be able to test this. smile

#18 2023-01-30 18:54:49

golinux
Administrator

You will find the canonical answer to your question here

#19 2023-01-30 19:35:03

fsmithred
Administrator

There does not seem to be a metapackage in debian for the ukui desktop. It looks like you have to install the parts separately. I tried a few that I thought would pull in the main parts of the desktop, but they did not. (ukui-session-manager, ukui-sessionserver, ukui-desktopserver).

I would expect to see a package called ukui, or ukui-desktop and probably task-ukui-desktop, too. Didn't find them in sid or at salsa.debian.org.

You could install the ukui parts after an install of the base system without a desktop, or you could install the base system and drop to a shell before exiting the installer, and install the parts in a chroot. (the installer makes this easy). My preference is to reboot into the installed base system first, and then add other things. Seems to be safer and easier in the long run.

Board footer