The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-01-11 17:03:41

tlathm

Re: Meltdown and Spectre

fungus wrote:

Those are all valid jessie repositories, pick and choose.  Some may not have a contrib and non-free components.

Thanks! I think the fact that I used the expert non-graphical install may be how I ended up with just the jessie source. I've now added the security source. For our purposes I think that will do for now, as adding either the updates or the backports actually doesn't cause anything new to install anyway. Sorry for sending the thread a bit off topic too.

#27 2018-01-11 22:14:03

greenjeans
Website

Well I did the update just now, reloading Synaptic just showed the Linux image metapackage and one other as upgradable, not the kernel itself, but when I upgraded the two packages it installed the new kernel but in addition to the older kernel, so now have two. I assume the older can be deleted but just wondering why it didn't do it as an upgrade instead?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#28 2018-01-11 23:41:00

tlathm

greenjeans wrote:

Well I did the update just now, reloading Synaptic just showed the Linux image metapackage and one other as upgradable, not the kernel itself, but when I upgraded the two packages it installed the new kernel but in addition to the older kernel, so now have two. I assume the older can be deleted but just wondering why it didn't do it as an upgrade instead?

If I understand what you're saying, I believe the same happened to me, and I'd assume that's the desired behavior. I have the linux-image-amd64 meta package installed, and after adding the jessie-security source the upgrade pulled in linux-image-3.16.0-5-amd64 (with the new 3.16.51-3+deb8u1 version) in addition to my existing linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64, making the newer the default in grub.

If the new kernel were to cause any issues, I'd be able to boot to the old one using the arrow keys in the grub menu. Since it was OK, after rebooting, I uninstalled the old one, and did an update-grub. If that's what you're referring to I'd expect that as a safeguard.

Last edited by tlathm (2018-01-11 23:41:50)

#29 2018-01-12 10:41:30

fungus
Website

We still do not have an answer for the puzzling behavior when using the refracta9/ascii image I was not able to install OpenRC without using ceres repository, while when @fsmithred did the same it worked.

So there is some funky business going on with the amprolla3 repositories that make them misbehave from time to time.
At a later point when ceres was turned off and reupdated, the ceres packages should have been seen as "local" installations, but didn't, they appeared as native to ascii.  So I assume that part of the repository is available and unavailable without producing an error to the user.

#30 2018-01-12 15:56:15

golinux
Administrator

@fungus . . . possibly PEBKAC?

#31 2018-01-14 00:26:31

fungus
Website

golinux wrote:

No, I am good with copy paste of instructions.  I installed, updated, and upgraded the Refracta 9 and only added Openbox and a few LXDE pkgs.  Then I tried installing OpenRC and I reported all the files that appeared uninstallable due to missing dependencies.  Then I switched to ceres and they were there.  So I installed OpenRC with ceres being open.  It was the only way I could install OpenRC, then deleted sysv-rc and executed a command specified by the installation to reboot.  All well.  I repeated the whole procedure a 2nd time on a different machine.  Same repositories.  Same problem.
Some days later when I checked to what is installed and appears as local I thought with ceres disabled the pkg that came from there would seem as local with no counterpart in ascii.  Wrong, they appeared as ascii pkgs.

If there is a pebkac problem it exists around the chair of the repository manager, or there is a MIM problem.
I urge you to check on the vegetable addresses of the reps and whether they correspond to the pkgmaster.  I think something is messed up in there.

Last edited by fungus (2018-01-14 00:41:40)

#32 2018-01-14 00:31:09

golinux
Administrator

fungus wrote:
golinux wrote:

What is PEBKAC?

https://classic.startpage.com//do/search?&query=PEBKAC

Board footer