The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-12 11:35:29

hd_scania
Website

Software packages aging issue

I have been using differenet libre system like Parabola (always latest libre software packages), Fedora (0.5 years per upgrade of libre packages and nonfree kernel), Debian (always latest stable stage of libre packages), Trisquel and Uruk (liberating Ubuntu 18.04), but finally Devuan, your Jessie is finalized last May but software packages are as aging as Ubuntu 14.04 (April in 3 years ago), without Parabola and Fedora I cant always refresh my free software to the latest ones. Why is Dyne and VUA foundation using libre software packages aging for 3 years? And there is not yet OpenRC that is present in Parabola and from Gentoo. Will Dyne and VUA foundation instead make a rolling Parabola derivative, without systemd like current Devuan, but OpenRC by default, with always refreshing libre software packages?

Devuan-CURRENT/runit+SDDM/Plasma+Xfce smile

#2 2017-12-12 17:07:02

golinux
Administrator

Re: Software packages aging issue

Shiny new is greatly over-rated.  Devuan Jessie will be available until Debian Jessie LTS expires in 2020.  If you want something newer, upgrade to ascii or ceres (which you can think of as a rolling release).  It is certainly possible to install openrc on ascii and will likely become the default in following releases.  Devuan will never be a rolling release because we value stability.  Perhaps you are in the wrong camp.  Why exactly are you here?

(I won't state the obvious)

#3 2017-12-12 22:41:26

greenjeans
Website

There is software in the repos of ALL those distros that is up to 10 years old or more without any updates, and it all still works. Hundreds maybe thousands of packages.

Nobody uses exclusively 100% shiny new software.

In point of fact, the only real constant reason people need new software is for newer hardware support, occasionally for compatibility with a new file type or format.

hd_scania wrote:

I have been using differenet libre system like Parabola (always latest libre software packages), Fedora (0.5 years per upgrade of libre packages and nonfree kernel), Debian (always latest stable stage of libre packages), Trisquel and Uruk (liberating Ubuntu 18.04), but finally Devuan, your Jessie is finalized last May but software packages are as aging as Ubuntu 14.04 (April in 3 years ago), without Parabola and Fedora I cant always refresh my free software to the latest ones. Why is Dyne and VUA foundation using libre software packages aging for 3 years? And there is not yet OpenRC that is present in Parabola and from Gentoo. Will Dyne and VUA foundation instead make a rolling Parabola derivative, without systemd like current Devuan, but OpenRC by default, with always refreshing libre software packages?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#4 2017-12-13 05:08:26

hd_scania
Website

As valuing stability like any other LTS libre systems like Debian stable, Trisquel, Uruk, Hyperbola, but this is maybe missing any newer security updates, Parabola and Debian testing, the rolling libre systems, are always being secured, finally and unlikely Fedora, a libre system upgrading every 0.5 years, which balances cutting edged securities and stability.
However, the same is if you never enable nonfree repositories, and you must have acknowledged what you are doing administrating your libre systems, you will be almost never suffered against insecure threats. It looks I am free continuing using Devuan being a free software theorist and ‘‘GNUs’ rider and keeper’’, alongside Parabola and Fedora. ‘‘Alongside different libre systems’’ means I am parallel using different systems in a GPT drive and booting using rEFInd, for my drive I have installed 11/20 libre systems every 16 GiB, but needs 120 GiB for internal personal data and few spaces for ESP and swaps. smile

Last edited by hd_scania (2017-12-13 05:26:27)

#5 2017-12-14 03:25:37

fsmithred
Administrator

You could upgrade to ascii, which has the same packages as stretch. And you can install openrc:

$ apt-cache policy openrc
openrc:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 0.13.1-4
  Version table:
     0.27-3 0
        100 http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged/ ceres/main amd64 Packages
     0.23-1+b1 0
        100 http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged/ ascii/main amd64 Packages
     0.13.1-4 0
        500 http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie/main amd64 Packages

#6 2017-12-22 02:17:41

hd_scania
Website

I have tried to upgrade to ASCII and PLENTIES of my detailed desktop features are hence lost, esp I should mostly need suspension, which I wanna take a rest for my machine but dnt wanna reboot, so I will remian Jessie and will try OpenRC in my Jessie system. smile

#7 2017-12-22 03:38:23

golinux
Administrator

Is OpenRC even available in jessie?  It has only been worked on in ascii afaik.

#8 2017-12-22 12:06:34

fsmithred
Administrator

hd_scania wrote:

I have tried to upgrade to ASCII and PLENTIES of my detailed desktop features are hence lost, esp I should mostly need suspension, which I wanna take a rest for my machine but dnt wanna reboot, so I will remian Jessie and will try OpenRC in my Jessie system. smile

Any problems with ascii that we don't know about will not get fixed. Any problems caused by misconfiguration on your end won't get fixed until you seek help.

BTW, suspend works fine here. What destkop are you using?

#9 2018-01-13 02:30:47

hd_scania
Website

Dnt worry that I have few more systems using OpenRC as init, Parabola (rolling), TrueOS UNSTABLE (rolling), Calculate (rolling), Hyperbola (LTS), and I isnt going to upgrade to ASCII till this moment. smile

fsmithred wrote:

Any problems with ascii that we don't know about will not get fixed. Any problems caused by misconfiguration on your end won't get fixed until you seek help.

The desktops I am using are Razor, MATE, Xfce. I have researched for suspensions-related packages, with keywords of acpi, ibam, laptop power, Razor sensors, MATE sensors, Xfce sensors, GNOME sensors etc, this has been wrought for my Hyperbola system and need to test these keywords working for Devuan. smile

fsmithred wrote:

BTW, suspend works fine here. What destkop are you using?

#10 2018-01-13 03:12:41

MiyoLinux

miyolinux doesn't know what he's talking about

?

I use the Xfce power manager in MiyoLinux, but I have to install the "suspend" package too if I want the Suspend option.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-01-13 11:49:40)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#11 2018-01-13 11:03:46

fsmithred
Administrator

There is no package named suspend in the repos, but there are these. I didn't know about these three - I always install pm-utils for suspend and hibernate. If you want to see a longer list, run 'apt-cache search suspend'.

aptitude search suspend
p   autosuspend                                         - daemon to suspend a system in case of inactivity              
p   gnome-shell-extension-suspend-button                - Gnome-shell extension to modify the suspend/shutdown buttons  
p   razorqt-autosuspend                                 - Autosuspend component for Razor-qt desktop environment    

#12 2018-01-13 11:46:56

MiyoLinux

fsmithred wrote:

There is no package named suspend in the repos, but there are these. I didn't know about these three - I always install pm-utils for suspend and hibernate. If you want to see a longer list, run 'apt-cache search suspend'.

aptitude search suspend
p   autosuspend                                         - daemon to suspend a system in case of inactivity              
p   gnome-shell-extension-suspend-button                - Gnome-shell extension to modify the suspend/shutdown buttons  
p   razorqt-autosuspend                                 - Autosuspend component for Razor-qt desktop environment    

You're right...my bad recollection. I was thinking of "hibernate". My apologies. I "edited" my previous post.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-01-13 11:50:04)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#13 2018-01-13 13:52:38

fungus
Website

What about OpenRC and suspend hybernate?  Do they work?
I sometimes can't even get to halt all the way.  After all things have been successfully been shut the power remains on.  It may be a hw peculiarity.

Board footer