golinux
Administrator

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

golinux LOVES turnips . . .

#152 2017-11-21 16:24:03

fsmithred
Administrator

I call it the s/f rario, signal to fluff.  Only I include a level of doubt that not all fluff is innocent, and not all sheep is vegetarian.  I see sheep with sharp front teeth and saliva dripping.

I know we're drifting off topic here, but this is relevant to the drift and potentially very important:
https://yro.slashdot.org/story/17/11/20 … -keystroke

@golinux: I like the greens better than the roots.

#153 2017-11-22 00:56:15

MiyoLinux

Drifting off topic doesn't bother me if it helps folks! smile Drift on!

As a side note, I finally got Obmenu Generator working on an Ascii build. smile Now I just have to decide if I want to use it or continue on with how I did the menu on the latest releases...

The latest releases of Miyo were how I originally envisioned the menu in MiyoLinux until I accidentally discovered Obmenu Generator...and that stinkin' spoiled everything. LOLOLOL!

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-11-22 00:56:49)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#154 2017-11-22 01:25:00

MiyoLinux

While we're on the subject...

I prefer collard greens over turnip greens, but what I really like is raw Spinach. Hard to beat a raw Spinach salad... big_smile

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#155 2017-11-22 23:12:24

fungus
Website

As long as it comes with onions I like all of them, greens.

On strokes and keys subject, there are those optional visual keyboards that open up in random sizes and locations, so not two password entries will ever seem identical in terms of mouse movement.
Tails uses something along those lines from login screen and it is available at a click of a button everywhere-else.

My favorite search engines is starpage with scripts off.  It seems so underrated and well hidden in the mozilla ad-ons list that I interpret as trusty-worthy.

I'm beginning to think my occasional failure with ob-gen may be hw/X related.  It seems every little while the menu collapses and only a scrape and reinstall clears the mess up.

C U L8R turnipgators

#156 2017-11-23 01:33:26

MiyoLinux

MiyoLinux wrote:

As a side note, I finally got Obmenu Generator working on an Ascii build. smile Now I just have to decide if I want to use it or continue on with how I did the menu on the latest releases...

Oh yeah...

...just tried a whole new Ascii build and used my new installation method of Obmenu-Generator to make sure my previous success wasn't a fluke. Worked like an charm. smile Plus, it's version .84 of Obmenu-Generator...which (I believe) is the latest version? big_smile Also, if I understand it correctly, it should now adapt to a user's language??? Will be interesting to find out.

I haven't tried an upgrade from Ascii to Ceres with the new Obmenu-Generator...kind'a scared to. LOL! I'll eventually get my guts up and give it a whirl to see what happens though. tongue

fungus wrote:

My favorite search engines is starpage...

That's what I use too.

#157 2017-11-23 02:08:07

golinux
Administrator

MiyoLinux wrote:
fungus wrote:

My favorite search engines is starpage...

That's what I use too.

Me three

#158 2017-11-23 02:31:23

MiyoLinux

golinux wrote:

Me three

wink

Oh dear...I couldn't wait.

Just did an upgrade of my latest MiyoLinux Ascii build to Ceres to see whether Obmenu-Generator would still work...

It morphed into LXQt! yikes

My beautiful Openbox distro became LXQt without my consent! LOL!

Grrrr........and Grr some more.

#159 2017-11-23 02:35:50

golinux
Administrator

You did have a backup, didn't you?

#160 2017-11-23 02:46:31

MiyoLinux

golinux wrote:

You did have a backup, didn't you?

No. This was just a test build...I hadn't fully customized it. It was mainly to see how Obmenu-Generator would install/perform in Ascii...then I couldn't restrain myself from upgrading to Ceres.

Idiotic me didn't look at what would be installed when I did the dist-upgrade from Ascii to Ceres. tongue

Strange that this hasn't happened before when upgrading to Ceres.

Hmmm...what's that sneeky Debian up to?

#161 2017-11-23 02:57:56

golinux
Administrator

I thought that QT was the culprit

#162 2017-11-23 03:14:17

MiyoLinux

golinux wrote:

I thought that QT was the culprit

Well, despite my lack of paying attention, I do still wonder why it automatically changed from just Openbox to LXQt. LXQt uses Openbox as its window manager...but still...to install LXQt over Openbox itself? Grrr........

I guess since I had PCManFM installed and a couple of other LXDE apps (lxinput and lxrandr), it thought I wanted LXQt. LOLOLOL!!! tongue

#163 2017-11-24 21:58:38

greenjeans
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

Plus, it's version .84 of Obmenu-Generator...which (I believe) is the latest version?

I think it is, FYI the last version from August says it's version .99, and now this one is .84, so I don't think we can count on the numbers, lol.

Saw that note about locale support, interesting stuff.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#164 2017-11-25 00:05:05

MiyoLinux

greenjeans wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

Plus, it's version .84 of Obmenu-Generator...which (I believe) is the latest version?

I think it is, FYI the last version from August says it's version .99, and now this one is .84, so I don't think we can count on the numbers, lol.

Good grief...I've installed it three times through git, and it's been .84 each time.  tongue

#165 2017-11-25 17:43:53

MiyoLinux

Good gravy! Finally finished the latest 32 bit version...kept finding little things to fix. tongue

The 64 bit should go much faster.

I'll have a few surprises in this release...nothing major, but it should make for an interesting release. smile  Miyo is still Miyo. wink

Also...I think I'll release these preemptively as 2018 releases...I have so many stinkin' .isos in the 2017 folder on Sourceforge, that I don't want to add to the confusion. LOL! They're based on Ascii, so when Devuan releases Ascii .isos, I'll look them over and see if I need to make new .isos to replace the ones I'm making now. If not, they should suffice for quite some time. big_smile

Coming soon...

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-11-25 19:40:20)

#166 2017-11-25 21:38:46

greenjeans
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:
greenjeans wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

Good grief...I've installed it three times through git, and it's been .84 each time.  tongue

Dd you also have to install the newer Perl module to use it? Won't work on my machine at the moment because my version of Linux::DesktopFiles is reporting as .12 and the new script requires .25

I think now the version .99 thing was a typo, it was supposed to be .79 I think, so that would explain that.

Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

#167 2017-11-25 22:01:45

MiyoLinux

greenjeans wrote:

Dd you also have to install the newer Perl module to use it? Won't work on my machine at the moment because my version of Linux::DesktopFiles is reporting as .12 and the new script requires .25

I think now the version .99 thing was a typo, it was supposed to be .79 I think, so that would explain that.

Well...no sir...but I've only tried the git installation on Ascii. Here's what Perl is showing in Synaptic on Ascii...

5.24.1-3+deb9u2

That's the number of perl, perl-base, and perl-modules in Ascii as of this writing...and everything worked fine 'n dandy. smile

#168 2017-11-25 22:14:33

greenjeans
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:
greenjeans wrote:

Well...no sir...but I've only tried the git installation on Ascii. Here's what Perl is showing in Synaptic on Ascii...

5.24.1-3+deb9u2

That's the number of perl, perl-base, and perl-modules in Ascii as of this writing...and everything worked fine 'n dandy. smile

Ahh I just fixed mine. My Perl version is 5.20 I think but that's not the issue, it was indeed the Linux::DesktopFiles perl module, in the ascii upgrade you must have gotten it automagically?

The Linux::DesktopFiles perl module versioning itself is different from the Perl version, Trizen has a new version (.25) of it as another project on github.

Sooooo....to upgrade my existing obmenu-generator, I downloaded the .zip of his perl module here: https://github.com/trizen/Linux-DesktopFiles, and extracted, opened a terminal and ran commands to build/install:

perl Build.PL
     ./Build
     ./Build test
     ./Build install

Which upgraded me to .25 module, I then unpacked the obmenu-generator folder and replaced just the script itself in /usr/bin and it fired right up.

Maybe this will help someone that has an existing obmenu-generator install to upgrade to latest script.

#169 2017-11-26 18:20:23

fungus
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:
greenjeans wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

Arch-AUR edition says 0.84-1

#170 2017-11-27 16:05:12

MiyoLinux

fungus wrote:

Arch-AUR edition says 0.84-1

Thanks for confirmation fungus. smile

#171 2017-11-28 02:09:54

MiyoLinux

AH HA!

I think I've figured out why my upgrade from Ascii to Ceres went all Qt in my latest build...but it's early yet...so we'll see how it goes.

I just hope I haven't posted this prematurely! LOLOLOL!

Edited to add: Oh dear...first impressions are looking great. If I'm right, I'll have to rebuild the 32 bit version. DOH! tongue

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-11-28 02:25:28)

#172 2017-11-29 02:20:48

MiyoLinux

Okay...

I just did another upgrade to test my theory, and my assumption was correct as to why the system went from Openbox to LXQt in an upgrade from Ascii to Ceres. smile  It had to do with PCManFM pulling in all kinds of LXQt stuff in Ascii. Got that fixed with a simple --no-install-recommends.

However, the upgrade killed Obmenu-Generator. tongue

Had to do the git installation again, but after cloning trizen's repository, all I needed to do was reinstall the...

Linux::DesktopFiles

After that, I ran...

obmenu-generator -p -i

...and everything was hunky-dory! big_smile

Wrote all of this from the Ceres installation...

#173 2017-11-29 22:54:36

greenjeans
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

I got a dollah says this is all that's needed. wink

obmenu-generator will automatically run the -p -i command when you click on it the first time, so shouldn't be necessary to do that either.

#174 2017-11-30 00:45:59

fungus
Website

On one installation I fiddling with ob---tor -p results into a menu while ob....tor -p -i breaks it?
Any ideas what it might be?  Where does ob-gen pick up icons from?

#175 2017-11-30 01:49:11

MiyoLinux

greenjeans wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

I got a dollah says this is all that's needed. wink

obmenu-generator will automatically run the -p -i command when you click on it the first time, so shouldn't be necessary to do that either.

LOL! I like your style greenjeans.

I can't remember what the error said, but it was definitely related to the DesktopFiles. I've whittled down what it takes to fix it in Ceres, but I'll see if that works when I get the chance. When installing it through git, you have to add the dependencies to do so...which installs a lot of dependencies of the dependencies. Working from memory here, but I think the main dependencies are git, build-essential, and cpanminus (don't quote me on that). So, after installing it, I remove those three followed by an "apt autoremove" in order to remove the whole shebang. For the Ceres fix, I just reinstall git and cpanminus, clone trizen's repository, and only run the command to install the DesktopFiles again...then remove everything again. Sounds like a lot of trouble, but it only takes a minute to do it all. However, if I can whittle it down even more with your suggestion, that'll be better. smile

fungus wrote:

On one installation I fiddling with ob---tor -p results into a menu while ob....tor -p -i breaks it?
Any ideas what it might be?  Where does ob-gen pick up icons from?

I'm on my phone fungus, so I can't check. However, it should say where it looks for icons in ~/.config/obmenu-generator/config.pl

Not sure why using the command to add icons would break it...

Board footer