The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-22 13:51:03

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 650

Ambiguity in communication

FOSSuser wrote:

. . .  since the demise of #! (Crunchbang), & Vuu-Do.

How can you go over to Vuu-do if it's 'demised'?  Of course it isn't and we all know that but that phrase doesn't.  wink

(I'm ever the editor)

Online

#2 2017-10-22 14:27:04

FOSSuser
Member
From: Surrey/Hants border UK
Registered: 2016-12-11
Posts: 167

Re: Ambiguity in communication

golinux wrote:
FOSSuser wrote:

. . .  since the demise of #! (Crunchbang), & Vuu-Do.

How can you go over to Vuu-do if it's 'demised'?  Of course it isn't and we all know that but that phrase doesn't.  wink

(I'm ever the editor)

Depends how you read it, there's a comma in there that separates the '& Vuu-Do' from the demised #1, & relates to the original statement about AntiX. smile
But, I suppose I could have put a semi colon instead. wink

Last edited by FOSSuser (2017-10-22 14:29:21)

Offline

#3 2017-10-22 15:24:30

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 650

Re: Ambiguity in communication

FOSSuser wrote:
golinux wrote:
FOSSuser wrote:

. . .  since the demise of #! (Crunchbang), & Vuu-Do.

How can you go over to Vuu-do if it's 'demised'?  Of course it isn't and we all know that but that phrase doesn't.  wink

(I'm ever the editor)

Depends how you read it, there's a comma in there that separates the '& Vuu-Do' from the demised #1, & relates to the original statement about AntiX. smile
But, I suppose I could have put a semi colon instead. wink

That would still be a little murky.  Might have been better to say something like:

. . .  since the demise of #! (Crunchbang) & the arrival (or whatever) of Vuu-Do

Never, ever leave an ambiguity . . .

You can tell it's a slow day . . . LOL!

Online

#4 2017-10-22 19:10:17

fungus
Member
From: Any witch way
Registered: 2017-07-12
Posts: 364
Website

Re: Ambiguity in communication

This is what quality journalism is all about.  Tomorrow's headlines would be referring to this forum as the source of the news for the demise of vuu-do

@greenjeans is nowhere to be found either.....   sources have him vacationing in vuu-do land, Jamaica.

Online

#5 2017-10-23 10:49:51

FOSSuser
Member
From: Surrey/Hants border UK
Registered: 2016-12-11
Posts: 167

Re: Ambiguity in communication

Hmm, I don't think mis reading something makes it ambiguous. wink
(It is pretty obvious how it is meant to be read.)

EDIT: http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/Grammar/commas.htm
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/commas.asp

Last edited by FOSSuser (2017-10-23 11:35:14)

Offline

#6 2017-10-23 17:35:23

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 650

Re: Ambiguity in communication

Ah the great authority of the internet.  Not impressed.  I had this knowledge deeply embedded in my brain by the time I was 10.  Back then peeps actually knew what they were talking about and teaching

Online

#7 2017-10-23 18:47:20

FOSSuser
Member
From: Surrey/Hants border UK
Registered: 2016-12-11
Posts: 167

Re: Ambiguity in communication

golinux wrote:

...Not impressed.  I had this knowledge deeply embedded in my brain by the time I was 10.

Then, I suggest, you use it!

Offline

#8 2017-10-23 19:00:44

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 650

Re: Ambiguity in communication

FOSSuser wrote:
golinux wrote:

...Not impressed.  I had this knowledge deeply embedded in my brain by the time I was 10.

Then, I suggest, you use it!

I do every day, thank you.  We are just reading from different scripts.  Let's just agree to disagree.

I'm going to split those related posts to another thread.

Online

#9 2017-10-24 10:01:58

FOSSuser
Member
From: Surrey/Hants border UK
Registered: 2016-12-11
Posts: 167

Re: Ambiguity in communication

Be aware, the first post has the quote taken out of context, here is the actual post.

My machines are about half & half.

AntiX, (Debian based, systemd free), been using it several years now, since the demise of #! (Crunchbang), & Vuu-Do.

(Though I still have one running straight Devuan, but it will likely go over to Vuu-Do as that seems to suit me best. smile )

Offline

#10 2017-10-24 21:00:25

greenjeans
Member
Registered: 2017-04-07
Posts: 355
Website

Re: Ambiguity in communication

Just wanted to chime in and say rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

wink


https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal 64 and 32 bit Devuan-based openbox and mate systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

Offline

#11 2017-10-25 11:26:24

FOSSuser
Member
From: Surrey/Hants border UK
Registered: 2016-12-11
Posts: 167

Re: Ambiguity in communication

Exactly, & long live Vuu-Do. big_smile

Offline

Board footer