The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-26 20:06:59

katzenmuzak

Which is more helpful for Devuan for me to run, Ascii or Jessie?

Which is more helpful for Devuan for me to run, Ascii or Jessie?  There are a lot of rough edges and thus potentially a lot of bug reports to file.  So where do the developers want us to focus attention?

#2 2017-01-26 20:34:30

golinux
Administrator

Re: Which is more helpful for Devuan for me to run, Ascii or Jessie?

katzenmuzak wrote:

Which is more helpful for Devuan for me to run, Ascii or Jessie?  There are a lot of rough edges and thus potentially a lot of bug reports to file.  So where do the developers want us to focus attention?

You might want to check what's in jessie-proposed. Those packages may get into RC1 if the feedback is positive and bug-free.  Beware that the xfce4-settings package there was broken - I had to downgrade to stable version.  Don't know if it's been fixed yet.  After RC1 the focus will be more on ascii.

EDIT: This just posted on irc:

<Centurion_Dan> Attention should be on jessie - particularly installation testing and desktop useability issues.

#3 2017-01-29 10:07:50

katzenmuzak

Thanks for digging that out.  I'll focus on Jessie for the time being.  I actually had to do a reinstallation because I had runaway backporting that took out networking and other services.   I notice the following about the defaults in Jessie:

• Thunar does not support SFTP

• Devices ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1, and friends rearrange themselves after hibernation

• NTPd is missing and must be installed manually

• The default screen saver blanks the screen but does not turn off the backlight

• sleep does not work not even when invoked via pm-sleep

• hibernate works much of the time, but not 100%, when invoked via pm-hibernate

• useragent strings for Iceweasel and others do not say Devua, this is a triviality though

• During the installation, the ctrl-alt-f4 logs show many ^M indicating bad formatting

• Bluetooth seems not to be found much of the time

• During the installation, no timezone is available except as tied to geographic locale

• During the installation, the trackpad for System76 Gazelle pro is not found

• The default source.list leaves the CD ROM repository enabled

• RPCBind is installed by default, remove it please

• Backports should pin to a low priority, as discussed on the list and elsewhere

How should I provide feedback about the installation process and the defaults?

#4 2017-01-29 17:16:11

golinux
Administrator

@katzenmuzak . . . Thanks for compiling that list.  Those issues would have to be posted in git.devuan.org to get any attention.  The best place I can think of is here but you might be able to dig out more targeted projects also.   In addition I would post the list to dng where it might catch someone's attention (but will get 'lost' rather quickly).

#5 2017-01-30 10:02:32

katzenmuzak

Thanks.  I'll be reporting them over time.

#6 2017-04-23 17:55:59

rufwoof

As a single user desktop user I'd hope that Jessie was your preferred focus smile. I'll be sticking with that for a year or so after Debian release Stretch as the current-stable and only then consider upgrading i.e. Jessie a year into old-stable (few updates, still being security updated). However having tried Devuan out for less than 24 hours I'm somewhat hooked smile

Not found anything wrong yet myself ... other than (perhaps/maybe) Ctrl-Alt-Fn terminal switching takes me to a already logged in (as devuan userid) sessions on each one. In contrast to in Debian where I was presented with a logon prompt on each. But that maybe just the way I have installed/set things up. No bother to me either way as I only tend to use that for switching to a more secure userid that I set up specifically for general use (no su, no sudo, limited to what other files/folders it can see).

I like using Firefox but find how they publish vulnerabilities such as this one to be a bit .... daft. In effect guidance for potential hackers of how to breach versions that haven't upgraded. Accordingly my policy is to limit the scope of the userid that I use to run Firefox (and Skype, Kodi ...etc.) and Devuan userid doesn't fit that purpose/objective. Instead I create another userid that uses restricted bash, has no su nor sudo, its own group separate from the root and devuan owner/groups across the system ... and I just restrict access to the folders from 'others' so that that userid can't even see the data/personal files/folders that I choose to restrict access to.

#7 2017-04-24 11:38:39

nathg

Not related to the topic, may use 'firejail firefox-esr'.

#8 2017-04-25 08:18:27

FOSSuser

Devuan is on DistroWatch this week. smile

Board footer