The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-12-03 19:03:29

Esleep

Malicious Programs, and Malicious People On Devuan

I've spent the last few years of my life making an effort to experience all of the different Linux flavors, and attempting to learn from their unique systems, and unique organizations about how Linux broadly deals with modern day technological problems. A common takeaway I've found in every case, is that despite the unique position Linux distributions hold compared to private organizations, they are seemingly incapable of taking a stand where it matters most, speaking out against malicious organizations, and the malicious systems they are hard at work developing every day which are part of the greater technological world we live in. In regards to the security of their users, their organization, and the systems they distribute it's obvious to me that it should be understood at the very
least to be a fundamental responsibility.

We don't live in a magical utopia, with wonder and awe waiting around every corner. We live in a world where technological
organizations have taken the stance that they intend to be predatorial against people broadly, irrespective to the law, or the cost
to society at large. Failing to clearly stand apart from this socio-economic trend, Linux based organizations are making a fatal
error. Technological systems have become so important to each of our lives, and greater society, their security is as fundamental
as that of our own homes, and communities, and based on my understanding of an even greater priority to confront given the unique
advantages it affords organizations that seek to exploit this situation.

Otherwise we might find how people admit they intend to privately benefit from this situation. Certain-people, and organizations are intimidating. Nature dictates the likely course of action to succeed is to keep our heads down, and keep quiet. Don't disturb the social order, and watch and see how disorder is deftly silenced, and without resistance. We don't live in a peaceful orderly society in reality, and the parallel to the technological dimension is seamless.

It occurred to me during this years-long adventure that these so-called communities in Linux, aren't really communities at all, not in the way they represent themselves. But simultaneously the fact over all--is that they are communities in reality, even if we don't recognize the fact and act on it. Here in Devuan, for instance, we are a group of people united on a common ground. And the greater context of the world we live in, outside of this technological dimension, is shared between all of these people too. Let's be serious when we recognize the fact, that technology, and it's organization, is consequential to people's lives. If Linux based organizations, who stand on the extreme end of the techno-ideological spectrum declaring their product is free, and therefore immune to legal responsibility, can't admit the truth, than the organizations that intend to abuse technology to exploit society, and the people that make up it's greater body, receive the benefit of having no competent organizations within their own unique dimension to contradict their behavior.

It's far past the time for people to, again, at the very least, speak about technology, as opposed to blindly parroting advertising about it all. Malicious programs, and malicious people, are real. And we can't realistically deal with them until people become willing to stand together against them. I would argue furthermore, that our society desperately needs: someone, anyone, to do the right thing, because the organizations that exist today are patently incapable of doing so. And the failure to confront modern day technological problems, even tacitly, with speech, poses a threat so enormous that the cost is unbearable.

#2 2023-12-03 21:37:21

golinux
Administrator

Re: Malicious Programs, and Malicious People On Devuan

So many words to say so little . . . I have read this several times and still have no idea what the message is . . .

The funky formatting on the copy/paste was a nice touch. Is anybody there?

#3 2023-12-03 22:25:22

Esleep

Ya know when I was young and naive, I used to recommend Linux to my family members as a "secure" alternative to virus malware
plagued windows for banking and other important personal work.

Now that I'm older and have gotten the chance to learn more about these systems independently, I cannot in good faith do that.
I would have to instead, be honest, and explain to them these systems are insecure, and untrustworthy based on my understanding.

What does it say about the integrity of all these different Linux systems, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, Slackware, that
they cannot do the same? In my view they are exacerbating an already bad situation through a seemingly uniform and willful ignorance.

#4 2023-12-03 23:10:49

golinux
Administrator

Please do not use hard line breaks in your posts . . .

#5 2023-12-04 11:58:52

EDX-0

amazing, i wonder if those posts weren't written by some troll with chatgpt, cuz i mean even the formatting and corporatese of the language and wall of text used to say nothing other than "linux communities bad" and "devuan should be good, but it not good, thus it bad" is not what anyone would expect form a real human bean even if trying to express frustration.

#6 2023-12-04 12:59:17

aluma

golinux wrote:

... Is anybody there?

Yeah, there is. ChatGPT.

I'm just wondering who is launching it here and why?

#7 2023-12-04 15:36:00

golinux
Administrator

I figured as much. A month or so ago there were glowing AI reviews on distrowatch with the same vapid style.

#8 2023-12-04 18:59:55

swanson

#9 2023-12-05 17:06:28

andyp67

I have been participating on this forum for just over a year now and regard it to be the best, second to none, no competition at all.
I have never ever encountered a troll stealing my time which must be beyond outstanding.
Also, not for any particular reason, I know I can be quite somewhat hard to bear! and there has been the odd time when I have been out of order.
This has shown great tolerance, but I am not stupid and it is quite obvious that I am concerned with computer engineering.
Everything comes down to freedom and this forum is a great demonstration of that.
This is not magic, this is because of the integrity of the people at this forum.
I admire this forum and consider myself to be at the bottom of the pecking order.
I guess the solemn computer engineering here, wipes out trolls as boredom.

#10 2023-12-05 17:18:27

andyp67

The blood of a zaibatsu is information, not people. The structure is independent of the individual lives that comprise it. Corporation as life form.

#11 2023-12-05 17:21:23

andyp67

We are not failing to act, we are acting, we are concentrating on the cure.

#12 2023-12-05 20:57:09

GlennW

the way things are going, a statement like this could be an offence in a country near you in the near future.

"Ya know when I was young and naive, I used to recommend Linux to my family members as a "secure" alternative to virus malware
plagued windows for banking and other important personal work."

I've seen a few like this on forums... it's like phishing, the way it asks, assumes... does not reply to words, but replies to posts...

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#13 2023-12-09 14:43:59

Tatwi
Website

Esleep wrote:

We don't live in a magical utopia...

Maybe you don't, but how else could one describe being able to go a giant building filled to the brim with food and being able to leave with a tiny portion of what one used to be able to afford? I mean, if that's not magical, what is? smile

I have always hated the concept of computer security. It's a real non-topic. Anything made by a person can be broken by a person. Whoopdeedoo. As an end-user, all computer security amounts to is a bunch of super nerds making my computer run slower, because they just couldn't leave well enough alone. I don't want to know about computer security; I don't care.

I do care about surveillance and profiling by corporations for profits, especially all of those corps who are totally keen on exploiting people while also doing their very best to avoid paying the taxes which fund the development and maintenance of human civilization. Those abhorrent leaches can fuck right off.

I also care about the ineptitude we witness at all levels of the Canadian government, but there's literally nothing I can do about it, so... oh well, I guess. Ultimately, the world isn't mine to change anyway. I am certain that we average everyday people truly believe that those we elect to represent us will get their shit together, make rational decisions, and carry on with improving our lives like our post WWII representatives did. After all, that's what we sensible, common folks would do. Sadly, the monetary system is the system with the greatest influence on human civilization, at all levels, and it's also a system that most easily rewards the worst people; lie, cheat, steal, exploit, one's way to riches and influence over the fabric of society itself. That's not such a great system, is it? But that's how it works, even in a relatively safe and peaceful democratic country like Canada.

What were we talking about? smile

#14 2023-12-24 20:27:54

Kristof12

Tatwi wrote:
Esleep wrote:

We don't live in a magical utopia...

Maybe you don't, but how else could one describe being able to go a giant building filled to the brim with food and being able to leave with a tiny portion of what one used to be able to afford? I mean, if that's not magical, what is? smile

I have always hated the concept of computer security. It's a real non-topic. Anything made by a person can be broken by a person. Whoopdeedoo. As an end-user, all computer security amounts to is a bunch of super nerds making my computer run slower, because they just couldn't leave well enough alone. I don't want to know about computer security; I don't care.

I do care about surveillance and profiling by corporations for profits, especially all of those corps who are totally keen on exploiting people while also doing their very best to avoid paying the taxes which fund the development and maintenance of human civilization. Those abhorrent leaches can fuck right off.

I also care about the ineptitude we witness at all levels of the Canadian government, but there's literally nothing I can do about it, so... oh well, I guess. Ultimately, the world isn't mine to change anyway. I am certain that we average everyday people truly believe that those we elect to represent us will get their shit together, make rational decisions, and carry on with improving our lives like our post WWII representatives did. After all, that's what we sensible, common folks would do. Sadly, the monetary system is the system with the greatest influence on human civilization, at all levels, and it's also a system that most easily rewards the worst people; lie, cheat, steal, exploit, one's way to riches and influence over the fabric of society itself. That's not such a great system, is it? But that's how it works, even in a relatively safe and peaceful democratic country like Canada.

What were we talking about? smile

AI will destroy humanity and we are doomed, rest in piss

#15 2023-12-24 21:02:14

golinux
Administrator

Kristof12 wrote:

AI will destroy humanity and we are doomed, rest in piss

No! Don't blame AI!! It is stupid humans who always have and always will find creative ways to destroy even their own species.

#16 2023-12-24 21:53:55

swanson

Since Esleeps last thread I learnt a new word in english - "vapid" . Very good word!

Esleep - go to sleep.

#17 2023-12-25 09:31:17

stargate-sg1-cheyenne-mtn

went to the OP's user profile page and to view their posts(ten-posts-at-this-time):
ttps://dev1galaxy.org/search.php?action=show_user_posts&user_id=6675

most of the posts are huge/long/tl;dr/eye-glazers
they should probably start their own blog

Be Excellent to each other and Party On!
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rph_1DODXDU
ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Ted%27s_Excellent_Adventure
Do unto others as you would have them do instantaneously back to you

#18 2024-03-06 21:49:34

czeekaj

Look into Out of Band. It's actually pretty clearly evident it's happening when using devuan. The devuan maintainers have proven to be highly capable.
It's present on most consumer platforms. From long wave radio to shortwave. Depending what machine I am using and where I am.

Once someone cracks it like the amazon fire stick that was built defective. That got the GTA 6 hacker pretty much life in a gulag.
We can maybe install grub where they install their lies. Stay away from untrusted devices tongue

physical position to keep away from malicious things is a good idea.

I've seen them installing antenna's in the crosses on churches in the states. You wonder why people in hong kong were breaking towers?

Last edited by czeekaj (2024-03-06 21:59:12)

Board footer