The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-03 22:43:18

oui

fantastic evolutions: one of the best ones - Refractasnapshot

I find, that the refractasnapshot is really a fantastic evolution! I don't know if other people appreciate really with progress it is for us! I participate to the movement "Puppy linux" since early 2004. At the begin, it was not possible to save somewhat, nothing excepted on the email server from MS with hotmail! And then, step after step came save and rebuilt possibilities. And it was relatively complicate  and so full of errors. It was possible at Puppy linux (in few steps and later with a GUI) but also at SliTaz (with an extravagant excursion deep in the system try... but SliTaz did have other ways to reorganize and save). After that, USB did become common and did change and make those transaction also common and necessary! Today only a few minutes thank Refractasnapshot! Thank you very much to the refracta developer/s!

Can anybody remember how it was problematic to make a snapshot out the Commando Line Interpreter?

#2 2024-03-04 01:13:47

alexkemp

Re: fantastic evolutions: one of the best ones - Refractasnapshot

PS

It is "Command-Line Interpreter".

'Commando' is also a word in English, and completely different to your intention.

#3 2024-03-04 01:35:05

golinux
Administrator

Still beating that drum, alexkemp? Time to move on . . .

#4 2024-03-04 07:40:02

aluma

Not quite on topic.
I used Slax for a while and even installed it on my hard drive.
When working with USB, it saves all changes made during the session and no snapshots or reassemblies are needed.

When Slax is started from a read-only media such as CD/DVD, it keeps all system modifications in memory only, and all the modifications are lost when you reboot. On the other hand, if you run Slax from a writable device such as USB Flash Drive, it can store all changes there, so all your configurations and modifications are restored next time you boot, even if it is on a different computer. This feature is known as Persistent Changes and you can read more about it in a separate chapter.

https://www.slax.org/introduction.php

#5 2024-03-04 11:39:34

stargate-sg1-cheyenne-mtn

go Puppy! Arf Arf

and from Barry Kauler more recently:

ttps://easyos.org/

Be Excellent to each other and Party On!
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rph_1DODXDU
ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Ted%27s_Excellent_Adventure
Do unto others as you would have them do instantaneously back to you

#6 2024-03-04 17:23:42

oui

easy linux was named with an other name in the past... the branch is very old and is only an experimentation's field von BK since BK does not continue to consider himself as the chief (and responsible) of Puppy Linux editions of Puppy linux or of authors from the high quantity of derivatives...

#7 2024-03-04 18:01:44

alexkemp

@golinux:
Your comment is out of order. My remark carries zero disrespect, zero condescension & zero antagonism towards oui. The man is not a native English-speaker & I'm attempting a slight nudge to assist him in realising a linguistic error. I'm trying to help.

I'm sorry that your mind has been poisoned by other folks in these fora. I'm innocent of their claims.

#8 2024-03-04 18:51:03

golinux
Administrator

Yes . . . your halo of beneficence shines brightly! roll Please give it a rest.

#9 2024-03-05 00:08:49

alexkemp

Ah. So the poison comes not from other folks. Oh dear.

#10 2024-03-05 00:27:18

golinux
Administrator

We all see the world through our own filters . . . yours are not the final word. Please stop this adolescent nonsense . . .

#11 2024-03-05 11:46:18

fsmithred
Administrator

Can anybody remember how it was problematic to make a snapshot out the Commando Line Interpreter?

I'm not sure what you are asking. Do you want to run refractasnapshot without a graphical environment? If so, the answer is yes, just run "refractasnapshot" as root (or with sudo).

If you're asking if it's possible to make a snapshot by manually running commands, then yes, that's how it was done before the script was written. Some of the commands are long, and that is why the script was written.

#12 2024-03-06 11:16:14

stargate-sg1-cheyenne-mtn

@oui(and for future readers of this thread), EasyOS is _not_ whatever "easy linux" you might be referencing(for the record)

links:

ttps://easyos.org/

ttps://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=easyos

Be Excellent to each other and Party On!
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rph_1DODXDU
ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Ted%27s_Excellent_Adventure
Do unto others as you would have them do instantaneously back to you

#13 2024-03-06 11:40:29

oui

@stargate-sg1-cheyen: I suppose we did speak about the same (see the titel of the page pointed by your 1st link ( an Experimental Linux) It is what I did say in my last message.

I am not happy with EasyOS: no 32 bit version any more and heavy, heavy!

#14 2024-03-06 12:34:23

oui

@fsmithred: I, myself, never install refractasnapshot-gui or refractainstaller-gui. they are in my installations only if in the complete set of the installation (refracta linux etc.). but I like command line activity! it is so clear...

puppy linux did initially be "snapshoted" with only a few step command line Iso lang Puppy linux did only use one squashed big file. it was usual for certain (not only I) to do that frequently. It was also possible in some other little distributions.

actually one approach can be that one: https://arpinux.developpez.com/construi … ve-debian/

Than very much for your intense activity at this field dear fsmithred! You did save a lot of time of your users and make that really accessible for all (Exton is right explaining: can do a child!).

Board footer